Who are your top 10 defenseman next season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Hamilton’s shot is still top 5 easily. He should be PP1 with 65% share and 28 min every night. He’s top 10 without a career year yet. He could blow everyone away with 80 games played.

Reactions: Xirik

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I’m not sure I agree with the current Norris winning defence man sitting below Josi, McAvoy, and Heiskanen 🤷

Looking forward to the fireworks of Oilers fans seeing their guy off the list, though
Meh.

Last season Bouchard was worse than all of K'Andre Miller, Dobson, Byram, and Hronek according to half of HFboards:

And before that he was worse than Ty Smith and Boqvist, and was a first round bust in the making.

I'm sure we are getting pretty used to hilariously bad takes about Bouchard.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Meh.

Last season Bouchard was worse than all of K'Andre Miller, Dobson, Byram, and Hronek according to half of HFboards:

And before that he was worse than Ty Smith and Boqvist, and was a first round bust in the making.

I'm sure we are getting pretty used to hilariously bad takes about Bouchard.
TBF people saying he was worse than Miller, Dobson, Byram, and Hronek wasn't a stretch. He hadn't really proven much yet at that point. Saying he was worse than SMith and Boqvist was just a terrible take.

Even though he had more points in 2023-2024 than Dobson, I'd still take Dobson over him in the regular season. But Bouchard was fantastic in the playoffs and Dobson struggled hard, so that gives Bouchard a slight edge right now.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
TBF people saying he was worse than Miller, Dobson, Byram, and Hronek wasn't a stretch. He hadn't really proven much yet at that point. Saying he was worse than SMith and Boqvist was just a terrible take.

I think it just showed no one was actually watching him play, or perhaps they were just ignoring his positives because they are fans of rival teams.

Pretty bad scouting display no question.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I did a top 25 current list.
  1. Cale Makar
  2. Quinn Hughes
  3. Miro Heiskanen
  4. Roman Josi
  5. Adam Fox
  6. Victor Hedman
  7. Evan Bouchard
  8. Noah Dobson
  9. Rasmus Dahlin
  10. Jaccob Slavin
  11. Josh Morrissey
  12. Charlie McAvoy
  13. Shea Theodore
  14. Gustav Forsling
  15. Morgan Rielly
  16. Mattias Ekholm
  17. Drew Doughty
  18. MacKenzie Weegar
  19. Zach Werenski
  20. Brock Faber
  21. Moritz Seider
  22. John Carlson
  23. Erik Karlsson
  24. Devon Toews
  25. Thomas Harley
Who has the time to watch all of these players enough to rank them? Do you not follow any teams in particular and watch a little bit of every club?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I did a top 25 current list.
  1. Cale Makar
  2. Quinn Hughes
  3. Miro Heiskanen
  4. Roman Josi
  5. Adam Fox
  6. Victor Hedman
  7. Evan Bouchard
  8. Noah Dobson
  9. Rasmus Dahlin
  10. Jaccob Slavin
  11. Josh Morrissey
  12. Charlie McAvoy
  13. Shea Theodore
  14. Gustav Forsling
  15. Morgan Rielly
  16. Mattias Ekholm
  17. Drew Doughty
  18. MacKenzie Weegar
  19. Zach Werenski
  20. Brock Faber
  21. Moritz Seider
  22. John Carlson
  23. Erik Karlsson
  24. Devon Toews
  25. Thomas Harley

Toews at 24 is so hilariously bad.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Makar
Hughes
Heiskanen
Bouchard
Fox
Mccovoy
Josi
Dahlin
Morrissey
Hamilton

Is my top 10 currently

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
1. Makar
2. Fox
3. Hughes
4. Heiskanen
5. Hedman
6. Josi
7. McAvoy
8. Morrisey
9. Dahlin
10. Slavin

I know Fox had an atrocious postseason, but to me he's the most well-rounded defenceman in the modern-day NHL. As a Canucks fan, he brings the skating and scoring that Hughes does, but is much better defensively. He wasn't as effective on the PK this past season, but was much more aggressive offensively.

I still think Hedman is a great defenceman. I think people forget that Tampa is not what it used to be and Hedman's advanced analytics suffer because of that. He's still a true #1 at his age, logs a ton of minutes. Just watching him play last season, I easily have him in my top 5 and the only other defenceman that I would trust over him in the playoffs is Cale Makar.

If Dahlin continues his current trajectory, I think he pushes into the top 5 next season. I just can't justify putting him over guys like Josi, McAvoy or Morrisey who have been defensive stalwarts on their bluelines for years. His skating and puck handling is up there with Makar and Hughes from an eye test standpoint.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
1. Hughes
2. Josi
3. Makar

4. Fox
5. Heiskanen
6. McAvoy
7. Hedman
8. Dahlin
9. Morrissey
10. Forsling

4 to 10 I could be convinced of any order really. And guys like Bouchard or Dobson or Slavin could be in those last few slots too. Hedman is higher simply on leadership.

Way I see it, if I ask the question who would I want on a totally generic team, then this is the order I'd go with. That test overvalues guys that have a high impact on possession and are designated puck carriers. If you were to value being solid but not the focus of opposition defenses then Bouchard for example would rate much higher. Some guys are a great cog, other guys are the machine itself.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We just did the forwards in the other thread, figure we should rifle off top 10 D as well.

Mine in no order
Hughes
McAvoy
Heiskanen
Makar
Fox
Josi
Dahlin
Hedman
Slavin
Dobson
Good list. My only switch.
Ekholm in for McAvoy

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Who has the time to watch all of these players enough to rank them? Do you not follow any teams in particular and watch a little bit of every club?
Almost no one lol. Most people just read a lot of hockey articles and regurgitate the takes they like. That mixed in with a healthy dose of homerism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad