Who Are The Worst Playoff Performers Of All Time?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fiala has to be getting there.

Visibly completely different player in the POs. He's completely invisible vs. the regular season guy who wants the puck and wont give it up, shoots from the slot every time, fires hard aggressive passes, isn't scared to make even stupid mistakes. In the POs he shies away from the puck and contact and passes it off to nowhere, doesn't try to dangle anyone, makes minimal contact. Completely deer in headlights.

Reactions: sanscosm and Lt Dan

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Honestly for a bit there I was getting ready to say Jason Robertson but he seems to be able to do well against Vegas at least.

1 goal in 7 games against the Flames in 2022
0 goals in 7 games against the Kraken last year
7 goals in 9 games against Vegas over 2 series so far though

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Except I wasn't talking about leading one's team in scoring --- I was talking about leading THE SERIES (i.e., both teams) in scoring. Thornton appeared in 33 playoff series, and exactly zero times he led both teams in scoring. Here are some historical comparisons:

Most Times leading a playoff series in scoring:
24 - Gretzky
10 - Kucherov / Sakic
9 - Lemieux / Bossy / Gilmour / Modano / Fedorov
8 - M. Richard / Lafleur / Howe / Savard / Brett Hull

(move way down the list...)
4 - Draisaitl / Bure / Drillon / Sorrell / Payne / Orr / Conacher / Giroux / Staal / Keeling / Marchessault / Straka / Leach / Ullman / Hawerchuk / Mats Naslund / H. Smith (+ many more)
0 - Thornton

Best %, "#1 PTS" in Playoff Series
57% - Gretzky
45% - Lemieux
44% - Draisaitl
38% - Kucherov
36% - Bure
33% - Sakic / McDavid / Scheifele
32% - Bossy
31% - M. Richard / Drillon / Sorrell
30% - Perreault / Guentzel / Lafleur

20% - Marchand / M. Tkachuk / Zibanejad / Smyl
0 - Thornton

NHL forwards who have been in the most playoff series without ever being #1 in scoring in that series:
44 - Draper
43 - Carbonneau
32 - Keane
37 - MacTavish
36 - Shanahan
34 - Holmstrom / D. Hunter / Nystrom
33 - Thornton / Maltby / McCarty / Krushelnyski
This is false, so wherever you got all this info is invalid. Throw it away along with this garbage take. If you lead your team in scoring and win the series, there is literally nothing more than can be asked of you. Who cares if someone on the other team scored more? That's more on the team's defense and as a #1 center you probably had to help them out.

It's not a lazy narrative.

The Story of Joe Thornton can be shown in by "sorting order" of Regular season points, and Playoff points.

Thornton notoriously drops off in the playoffs, while Pavelski, Clowe, and Couture elevated.
Not once or twice but SEVERAL seasons Joe could lead the sharks in the RS, but then fell off in the playoffs.

He wasn't built for playoff hockey.

Regular Season Scoring:

View attachment 861865
Playoffs Scoring:
View attachment 861866
Lol his line is 2-5 and Pavelski was able to dominate lesser competition thanks to Thornton's line. This is literally how you win Cups.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’ve seen a few Lalime posts.

I don’t think I that’s necessarily fair.

He certainly had at least two bad series against the Leafs but if you look at his overall playoff numbers they significantly improved over his regular season numbers.

Remarkably so. In fact he single-handedly won a few series, including having three shutouts in a five game win over Philadelphia. That’s insane.

He choked against the leafs but the flashes of playoff brilliance are actually what made his blunders all the more painful.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Dionne and Matthews for sure.
Just based on their regular season dominance and being under a PPG in playoffs.

Intermission

Jan 17, 2016
Western NY
Sean Burke exploded onto the NHL scene with the '87-88 Devils who made the playoffs on the last day of the season and rode him to the Wales Conference Finals.

That was the best that it would get for Burke.

In the later part of his career he became a band-aid acquisition for clubs desperate for a goaltender and ended his playoff career with a 12-22 record, 3.32 GAA, and an .880 save percentage.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
It's not a lazy narrative.

The Story of Joe Thornton can be shown in by "sorting order" of Regular season points, and Playoff points.

Thornton notoriously drops off in the playoffs, while Pavelski, Clowe, and Couture elevated.
Not once or twice but SEVERAL seasons Joe could lead the sharks in the RS, but then fell off in the playoffs.

He wasn't built for playoff hockey.

Regular Season Scoring:

View attachment 861865
Playoffs Scoring:
View attachment 861866
True, Wasn't built for speed, hitting, physicality (had the size, didnt use it), overall too easy going, no intensity

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Except I wasn't talking about leading one's team in scoring --- I was talking about leading THE SERIES (i.e., both teams) in scoring. Thornton appeared in 33 playoff series, and exactly zero times he led both teams in scoring. Here are some historical comparisons:

Most Times leading a playoff series in scoring:
24 - Gretzky
10 - Kucherov / Sakic
9 - Lemieux / Bossy / Gilmour / Modano / Fedorov
8 - M. Richard / Lafleur / Howe / Savard / Brett Hull

4 - Draisaitl / Bure / Drillon / Sorrell / Payne / Orr / Conacher / Giroux / Staal / Keeling / Marchessault / Straka / Leach / Ullman / Hawerchuk / Mats Naslund / H. Smith (+ many more)
0 - Thornton

Best %, "#1 PTS" in Playoff Series
57% - Gretzky
45% - Lemieux
44% - Draisaitl
38% - Kucherov
36% - Bure
33% - Sakic / McDavid / Scheifele
32% - Bossy
31% - M. Richard / Drillon / Sorrell
30% - Perreault / Guentzel / Lafleur

20% - Marchand / M. Tkachuk / Zibanejad / Smyl
0 - Thornton

NHL forwards who have been in the most playoff series without ever being #1 in scoring in that series:
44 - Draper
43 - Carbonneau
32 - Keane
37 - MacTavish
36 - Shanahan
34 - Holmstrom / D. Hunter / Nystrom
33 - Thornton / Maltby / McCarty / Krushelnyski

source:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Idk if I'd call Luongo the worst playoff performer of all time, but he's probably the most bipolar playoff goalie of all time.

OutcomeWins/LossesGAASv%
Luongo in Games Won341.43.952
Luongo in Games Lost353.65.882

So you basically have a goalie that's Conn Smythe calibre when things are going well, and flat out unserviceable when things are going badly. I don't think I've ever seen such a stark contrast between games won and games lost before. Of course, it's obvious you'll likely play worse when you're losing, but as a goalie, you wanna at least keep your team in the game and make it difficult for the opposing team. It's basically a coin flip with him, but if your odds of a bad performance are even slightly above 50% in a playoff game, you have a goalie that simply can't be trusted from series to series to help you advance.

Reactions: DitchMarner

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
As a Canucks fan I remember the narrative on Naslund was always whether he would show for the playoffs or not. He never really seemed to carry the team on his shoulders the way Linden did, like the 07 playoffs for example, Linden willed that team to a game 7 win against Dallas. Now look at the 03 playoffs, Naslund pretty much disappears against the Wild games 5, 6 and 7. I still think Cloutier gets too much flak for that series.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
All time, for me, it's Thornton. He still put up some numbers in the playoffs that can give the appearance of him being an impact player - but he was absolutely dominant in the regular season and single handedly could dictate the outcome of games. I can't recall a single time I ever remember him doing that in the post-season. In every series I watched, I never felt as though he was the best skater on his line, nevermind his team.

For Vancouver, much gets said about Naslund, but for me it was Bertuzzi. There was an excellent post on HOH some time ago about Bertuzzi that summed him up well - he would start a series strong for a game or two, and then get sucked into the battle with whoever had been assigned to check him (Foote, Chelios, Jackman, Mitchell) and would get so focused on winning the battle that he forgot to win the war. Again, like Thornton, for a guy who shredded the regular season the way he did in 01-02 and 02-03, he was extremely disappointing in the playoffs that followed.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Todd Bertuzzi.

Always looking for personal battles instead of looking at the brighter picture. For someone who was ‘built for the playoffs’, guy was a floater and was all bark, no bite.

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
Mitch Marner has scored most of his playoff points in the first 3/4 games of each series. His career point totals are misleading. If you check series clinching games his numbers are quite abysmal. Matthews too I think.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Seguin is always hurt and being held together by tape come playoff time but he’s never been great in the playoffs. So a big part of it is health but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad