Who are the "big fish" for trade deadline this year?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Right now, you have to think Saginaw would be the most likely suitor for the biggest names. Beck probably has the biggest name. They don’t have bodies in demand at the age of 17. If Young doesn’t move, that means they really only have picks. Saginaw may be leveraging picks like Ottawa did last year. It may mean they will need to overpay with picks. Don’t discount a picks only transaction. Mintyukov went for three 2nds, four 3rds, and two 4ths. i think if Saginaw offers that type of deal, Petes have to listen.

EDIT:
When I say Saginaw doesn’t have 17 year olds in demand, I mean ones that would be made available. I don’t see Parekh being available. Same with Misa (16 years old). None of their other 17 year olds are going to push the needle on a deal.
I am expecting Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury to be also in on Owen Beck. I am not saying that the Petes would not entertain a draft pick only trade for Owen Beck but it would have to be a lot of draft picks. The issue with Saginaw they traded their only 2nd round draft pick in the Hay trade. The Petes are likely going to want at least one 2nd in the upcoming draft, particularly if they are only receiving draft picks for him.

Reactions: HF92

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
London does not have enough draft picks to make that trade yet
Who are they going to trade to get the 2nds and 3rds they will to need to trade for Owen Beck? They don’t have excess overages and no extra players to trade. I guess they could if they move one of their 19 year old forwards or defenceman.
That could hurt their depth particularly on defence.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am expecting Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury to be also in on Owen Beck. I am not saying that the Petes would not entertain a draft pick only trade for Owen Beck but it would have to be a lot of draft picks. The issue with Saginaw they traded their only 2nd round draft pick in the Hay trade. The Petes are likely going to want at least one 2nd in the upcoming draft, particularly if they are only receiving draft picks for him.

It is likley going to come down to two things:

1> How many players like Beck will be available? “Like” meaning players with a solid pedigree that are highly sought after regardless of the market conditions.
2> Are there any teams willing to move their 2023 1st? And are there any 2023 1sts willing to move?

I can’t see the Sault moving Brady MArtin unless they truly feel Beck is the guy that pushes them well over the top. I think Sudbury is more likely to move Taylor. I have Sudbury as the favourite for Beck.

I think Saginaw is more likely to buy bulk rather than top end talent. I think Sagniaw needs a few players. I don’t think they can simply add Beck and one more player and call it a day. They likely need 4 or 5 guys To fully round out that team. I see them more likely to move an 18 or 19 year old in an upgrade trade too.

Guelph may also add. They have so many ‘04s. You have to think this is a push in year. Are they good enough to do it and savvy enough to make the right moves? they should win their division. Would they move Beauchesne? If so, I would love to see Ottawa get in on that with Stonehouse.

Reactions: Section5Petes

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I can’t see the Sault moving Brady MArtin unless they truly feel Beck is the guy that pushes them well over the top. I think Sudbury is more likely to move Taylor. I have Sudbury as the favourite for Beck.
I know I sound like a broken record but Martin is highly unlikely to be moved...him and Hayes are what this team will be built around in the future...you'll likely see Chris Brown, our '22 1st rounder move in lieu of Martin

I am also not convinced Beck is 'the best' , I am truly not convinced there is a 'top player' but rather a bunch of mid tier guys that might be traded for

Guelph may also add. They have so many ‘04s. You have to think this is a push in year. Are they good enough to do it and savvy enough to make the right moves? they should win their division. Would they move Beauchesne? If so, I would love to see Ottawa get in on that with Stonehouse.
With Poitras not coming back, Guelph is a seller this year I think or at least they'll 'coast' this season

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I know I sound like a broken record but Martin is highly unlikely to be moved...him and Hayes are what this team will be built around in the future...you'll likely see Chris Brown, our '22 1st rounder move in lieu of Martin

I am also not convinced Beck is 'the best' , I am truly not convinced there is a 'top player' but rather a bunch of mid tier guys that might be traded for

With Poitras not coming back, Guelph is a seller this year I think or at least they'll 'coast' this season

I agree regarding SSM.

If Guelph becomes a seller, the market will be flooded and no one will get anything for their players. That is a worst case scenario for Peterborough and Beck. If they make Namsnikov, Buchanger, Bowman and Hislop available, it will get really interesting.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I agree regarding SSM.

If Guelph becomes a seller, the market will be flooded and no one will get anything for their players. That is a worst case scenario for Peterborough and Beck. If they make Namsnikov, Buchanger, Bowman and Hislop available, it will get really interesting.
Peterborough are not going to trade their top players for a very low return. They would keep them and try and win the East Division. As has been said the Petes themselves have not committed that this a rebuilding season. They are not going to only take a 3rd and 4th for Owen Beck or even a single 2nd. That being said the Petes players will be the most sought after because they have won an OHL Championship and have Memorial Cup experience.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Peterborough are not going to trade their top players for a very low return. They would keep them and try and win the East Division. As has been said the Petes themselves have not committed that this a rebuilding season. They are not going to only take a 3rd and 4th for Owen Beck or even a single 2nd. That being said the Petes players will be the most sought after because they have won an OHL Championship and have Memorial Cup experience.

I’m not suggesting there will not be a market for Beck. I think that market is there regardless of who’s available. BUT, I think some teams may end up in that situation where they need to assess if keeping the player is better than trading him. I don’t think Beck falls in that category. Namestnikov is a player that comes to mind. Or, if we look at last year, Zhilkin and Arcuri would be strong examples of players in this years market that may have been looking at a depressed return.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Colby Barlow could be a big fish if the Attack don't turn things around..
That would be a complete disaster in Owen Sound if they turn into sellers. They've been building around this season specifically to take a shot at a run. I think they get the ship righted and will build back to being in the mix in the west. The offense hasn't really started clicking with any consistency yet but with the weapons they have it should come. I think Carter George has already shown he can steal games and with that level of goaltending they should survive this rough patch. They really miss James Petrovski right now and he wraps up his suspension Saturday and will be a boost to the D core.

If the skid continues, Dale DeGray will find a way to shake up the roster before punting on the season and moving to seller status.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

1> How many players like Beck will be available? “Like” meaning players with a solid pedigree that are highly sought after regardless of the market conditions.
2> Are there any teams willing to move their 2023 1st? And are there any 2023 1sts willing to move?

I think Saginaw is more likely to buy bulk rather than top end talent. I think Sagniaw needs a few players. I don’t think they can simply add Beck and one more player and call it a day. They likely need 4 or 5 guys To fully round out that team. I see them more likely to move an 18 or 19 year old in an upgrade trade too.

Beauchesne would not be moved for Stonehouse, sorry. I agree Guelph is in a year to make a push - losing Poitras hurts that bad. They have many depth players with skill and points that could be available to move out. If they do go all in, they would do it in a big way and be in it for the bigger fish. Makes sense for Kitchener to trade Hunter B. The loss of Poitras at Centre makes Beck a possibility, but IMO a team that can make available a strong F and D would be preferred. That's why I've been pushing for NB, Kitchener is becoming more and more enticing but we'd have to pay the Kitchener/Guelph trade tax which I'm not sure George could stomach.

Reactions: dirty12

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Colby Barlow could be a big fish if the Attack don't turn things around..
If they commit to George as the starter, their new coach will turn it around. Similar to what OMG said re: if the Storm become sellers, if OS sells there will be chaos at the deadline. That would make things very interesting.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Beauchesne would not be moved for Stonehouse, sorry. I agree Guelph is in a year to make a push - losing Poitras hurts that bad. They have many depth players with skill and points that could be available to move out. If they do go all in, they would do it in a big way and be in it for the bigger fish. Makes sense for Kitchener to trade Hunter B. The loss of Poitras at Centre makes Beck a possibility, but IMO a team that can make available a strong F and D would be preferred. That's why I've been pushing for NB, Kitchener is becoming more and more enticing but we'd have to pay the Kitchener/Guelph trade tax which I'm not sure George could stomach.
I don’t know that there is a Kitchener/Guelph trade tax. After a couple of decades of not making any trades with each other, they have made significant, and fair, trades in the last few years.

Givani Smith. Liam Hawel.

If Guelph is looking to replace the void at center, Rehkopf could be the answer if the price is right from a Ranger perspective. Since Rehkopf is an 05, the price starts with Beauchesne. Add in a few picks.

As far as Brzustewicz goes, he’ll be one of if not the top D made available. His price is creeping up since the beginning of the year. Could he bring a 1st rounder? Possibly. If so, then a blockbuster with these two going to Guelph might be a reach.

Reactions: StormWatcher

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
EDIT:
When I say Saginaw doesn’t have 17 year olds in demand, I mean ones that would be made available. I don’t see Parekh being available. Same with Misa (16 years old). None of their other 17 year olds are going to push the needle on a deal.
Glavin is a 17yo who could move the needle a bit...he hasn't played much but he seems to be able to hold his own and has good size.

Two others that will move the needle are McNamara and Moore...both would be around for at least next season and both are going to get pushed down (or out of) the lineup as we acquire talent. McNamara is the "when will his production match his talent" and Moore I could see being an OA in the league because he seems like a hard-worker and a good locker room guy.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Glavin is a 17yo who could move the needle a bit...he hasn't played much but he seems to be able to hold his own and has good size.

Two others that will move the needle are McNamara and Moore...both would be around for at least next season and both are going to get pushed down (or out of) the lineup as we acquire talent. McNamara is the "when will his production match his talent" and Moore I could see being an OA in the league because he seems like a hard-worker and a good locker room guy.
Will any of those guys be the key piece in a trade for a kid like Owen Beck? No. That’s the point I was making.

Saginaw has draft picks to deal and that is pretty much it unless they can get Young to waive his NTC. The bodies they make available outside Young are sweetener players, not primary components.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Will any of those guys be the key piece in a trade for a kid like Owen Beck? No. That’s the point I was making.

Saginaw has draft picks to deal and that is pretty much it unless they can get Young to waive his NTC. The bodies they make available outside Young are sweetener players, not primary components.
Players like that won’t hold much value. Much like the players the Rangers got back in the initial Jeremy Bracco deal. Ok OHLers that wouldn’t get into the lineup anyway in Windsor.

But, they could do a two part trade where their ‘23 2nd rounder goes the other way in the summer, or the rights to a couple of the NCAA commits they took flyers on in the ‘23 draft, or maybe even Young in the off season.

But yes, unless Young moves, the big value will be picks.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

You kinda elude to it in this post with 2007 1st rounders, but NTC could be a huge factor no one is talking about that could effect prices players get. You have a handful of players to be moved who may only move to a couple of select destinations. Say a player will only waive to go to one or two teams their prices could be WAY lower than people here are projecting. It’s something us as fans have no idea what is going behind the scenes. Maybe a big fish only wants to go to Saginaw because they are guaranteed to go to the memorial cup. Could force a club to take a pick only or a lesser deal if they do want to recoup assets. Maybe a player is from Missy and wants to finish the season with that core and only waive to go there. When teams are forced to either take a lesser return, or get no return at all we never know what is going to happen

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You kinda elude to it in this post with 2007 1st rounders, but NTC could be a huge factor no one is talking about that could effect prices players get. You have a handful of players to be moved who may only move to a couple of select destinations. Say a player will only waive to go to one or two teams their prices could be WAY lower than people here are projecting. It’s something us as fans have no idea what is going behind the scenes. Maybe a big fish only wants to go to Saginaw because they are guaranteed to go to the memorial cup. Could force a club to take a pick only or a lesser deal if they do want to recoup assets. Maybe a player is from Missy and wants to finish the season with that core and only waive to go there. When teams are forced to either take a lesser return, or get no return at all we never know what is going to happen

Anything could happen with respect to players guiding their destinations but for the sake of discussion, I think we need to assume there will be some teams willing to part with their first rounders and the first rounders are willing to move.

Most players will be traded for primarily picks and some marginal players. Only a handful of key young players will be traded. That seems to be the blueprint.

So, just because Saginaw is only making picks available (unless Young moves), it doesn’t mean they will be shut out. It only means it is less likely they get a key pivotal player like Beck or Nelson. Saginaw could still get a player like Stonehouse who’s a great Brad Marchand type player, for just draft picks. Or maybe add a kid like Mayer or a goalie like DiVincentiis.… or all of them! Loads of talent will likely be available. Not all of that high end talent will require key young players as the primary piece. Ottawa added Mintyukov and Morrison last year for only draft picks And that was a big sellers market.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Anything could happen with respect to players guiding their destinations but for the sake of discussion, I think we need to assume there will be some teams willing to part with their first rounders and the first rounders are willing to move.

Most players will be traded for primarily picks and some marginal players. Only a handful of key young players will be traded. That seems to be the blueprint.

So, just because Saginaw is only making picks available (unless Young moves), it doesn’t mean they will be shut out. It only means it is less likely they get a key pivotal player like Beck or Nelson. Saginaw could still get a player like Stonehouse who’s a great Brad Marchand type player, for just draft picks. Or maybe add a kid like Mayer or a goalie like DiVincentiis.… or all of them! Loads of talent will likely be available. Not all of that high end talent will require key young players as the primary piece. Ottawa added Mintyukov and Morrison last year for only draft picks And that was a big sellers market.
I doubt the Petes will trade all their best players but if they were to trade all of Owen Beck, Connor Lockhart, Jonathan Melee, Sam Mayer, Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith they cannot trade them all for only draft picks for all. They will get a significant player in any trade for Owen Beck but they will also need players in some of the other deals to replace the players they trade particularly the defencemen as they would be trading half of their defence and everyone with any OHL experience. They would only have four defencemen left, two of which are only 16 years old. They have more options at forward.
They would likely not want to replace these players other team’s castoffs. but they would want both players and draft picks in trades. Last year many of the deals for elite players at the deadline and before were for a significant player and only a couple draft picks.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I doubt think the Petes will sell everybody but if they were to trade all of Owen Beck, Connor Lockhart, Jonathan Melee, Sam Mayer, Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith they cannot expect only draft picks for all those players. They will need players in some of those deals to replace the ones they trade particularly the defencemen as they would be trading half of their defence and everyone with any OHL experience. They would only have four defencemen left and would likely not want to reply on other team’s castoffs. They have more options at forward but they would want both players and draft picks in trades. Last year many of the deals for elite players at the deadline and before were for a significant player and only a couple draft picks.

I was thinking more about Lockhart being added to Beck, Smith and Mayer. I wouldn’t trade the guys that are set to return the following season as OA’s. You have to think Melee, McCoy and one of Lefebvre or Sztuska will return as OA’s. I wouldn’t move any of those guys.

Dubois has had a great start but I think his value is higher remaining with Peterborough than as a trade asset.

I think it is most related to any sort of infatuation with Lockhart remaining to somehow legitimize the team. Makes no sense if there is a significant market for him.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I was thinking more about Lockhart being added to Beck, Smith and Mayer. I wouldn’t trade the guys that are set to return the following season as OA’s. You have to think Melee, McCoy and one of Lefebvre or Sztuska will return as OA’s. I wouldn’t move any of those guys.

Dubois has had a great start but I think his value is higher remaining with Peterborough than as a trade asset.

I think it is most related to any sort of infatuation with Lockhart remaining to somehow legitimize the team. Makes no sense if there is a significant market for him.
Peterborough will do what is best for Connor Lockhart. He has found a home with the Petes and has had success with them. My understanding he likes playing in Peterborough and it may be best for him to finish his OHL career here.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Filling 2, 3, 4 spots of the 2024 draft must be a priority. The Petes might have to trade with three different teams to accomplish that.
There is probably no shortage of OAs again next season. The Petes probably want to move Sztuska and Beck, and one of Melee, Lefebvre, Smith, McCoy. There is also a pretty good chance Mayer & Lockhart are moved with one OA from another team finishing the season with the Petes.

Last edited:

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

Soo won't move Martin but they do have Christopher Brown as a nice piece, last year's 1st rounder. They could possibly use Virigilio, Kostov, Miller etc.. Saginaw( for example ) has Young and then what? Saginaw won't move Misa or Zayne like we won't move Martin and we obviously can't move Hayes. I believe SSM has more bodies to add to deals that could help them down the road, not saying we outbid people by any means but something to consider.

I also think Beck ends up in Sudbury myself, but this is the OHL and things change fast.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
People on here can claim "no value" all they want but when bodies get brought in, someone is getting moved eventually. Won't have room for all of McNamara, Gervais, Moore, Glavin etc. A rebuilding team is going to take some of these guys at some point.

Reactions: Finster8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad