Who are some of the smartest hockey players you have ever watched

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
In any area of the game, really, offensively, defensively. Anything either it's a defender , or a sniper who finds spots or a two way player who's always a step ahead of the play

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Alfredsson.

Shooter, passer, grinder, pker, pp quarterback. There was nothing he didn't do well, also worked harder shift to shift than 4th liners.

Karlsson

Played like chess, saw the game from above , would find guys open that didn't know they were open.

Stone

Hockey IQ poster boy but lesser than previous two. Would always make the right decision.

Reactions: Kamina and Coffee

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
The Sedins, they wouldn’t be the fastest but they’d make you play at their pace. The plays they would make on the power play the slap passes, spin passes, short passes they would make in tight spaces, the accurate saucer passes, dumping the puck in having it bouncing off the boards on to the others tape all while being onside and the cycle game they’d play down low. I know Canucks got a lot of hate during those prime seasons but man that was some of the best and skilled hockey I think I will ever see.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
The Professor, Igor Larionov and Nick Lidstrom. Both controlled the game with their brains, smarter than most players. Nick especially, some of the best defesnisve stick work.

Larionov, amazing passing and spacing against bigger opponents in his prime.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Johnny Gaudreau was built like a highschool freshman his entire amateur and pro hockey career. Very little chance he would have been as successful as he was without being able to think the game at an incredibly high level. There is plenty of players that excel based on their physical gifts, not nearly as many that excel despite the lack of them. He was a very unique talent in this game and we're all a little poorer for having lost him to that senseless drunk driving tragedy.

Adam Fox is another that succeeds despite his lack of athleticism, almost entirely due to his incredibly high hockey IQ. The NHL is fast, much faster than it looks on television. To be able to make the correct decision and have the inherent skill to execute that decision is what separates the wheat from the chaff. I'm really just naming Calgary Flames late round draft picks at this point but I like how Dustin Wolf anticipates the game. He's where he should be before he should really be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband and Coffee

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
If I had to pick one guy currently in the league with the highest on-ice IQ, I think it would be Adam Fox.

He's not that big, fast, or physical. Doesn't have an amazing shot or hands. He's got good edges, but he's not Makar or Hughes. There's not really one tangible trait that you can point to and say he's one of the best in the league at. And yet he goes out and dominates in both ends.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad