Who are currently the Best International players in the World?

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Peter Stastny:
OG: 23 points in 14 games
WC: 36 points in 37 games
Other international: another ~50+ at over PPG

Now there's an interesting choice, as far as international play is concerned!

There were so many CSSR players who had much more impressive international record: Nedomansky, Martinec, even Hlinka, Jiri Holik, Novy...

Mostly guys who padded their stats by playing against inferior competition.

Yeah, like there aren't weak teams at the Olympics & World Championships nowadays too.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Doughty and Toews. Maybe the stats aren't as flashy as some others but they both had profound influences on the last two Olympics.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On Sundin, not only have he been great and won a ton etc., but more importantly he has scored 4 completely insane goals in extremely important matches . The GWer in 91' that was end to end in the finals [sic] against Soviet. The GWer in 92' that was end to end in the semi's against the Soviet (he also scored in the Finals against Finland, but that was merely a great goal). An end to end goal in the QF against Finland in the 96' World Cup against Finland. An end to end goal in Helinski in the QF against Finland where Sweden came back from 5-1 and won, one of the most amazing hockey games ever.

Then he assisted on the GWer of the 06' OGs.

I am not sure when, but early 90's he also scored twice to tie a game against Finland in the WCH's in the last minute of the game. Scored a goal. Then took the puck right after the face offs and beat the Ds and scored another.

He never won a cup. But he leades the NHL in OT goals ever (or at least lead it for a while) and has scored so many tremendously clutch goals in insane ways for Sweden in International Hockey. Believe me, I am a big Forsberg fan as there is but I have a hard time putting Forsberg ahead of Sundin looking at play for Sweden. I don't think we ever will see a player of as big moments as Sundin has given Sweden again. It will be forgotten with time, since it don't show in the stats, and most these goals can't be found on YT etc., but I just want to pass it on while I can... ;)

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Erik Karlsson comes to mind when talking about best current international players.

In the last Olympics, I thought he was the best player, even though Weber and Doughty were also amazing.

Toews is always good.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sundin is the best Swedish international player in the modern era, it's not very close. I'm not even sure I'd trade him for anyone else in the world. He always scored the big goals and never had bad games.

Right now I'd say Loui Eriksson because of consistency. Same here, he always shows up and gets on the scoresheet. Many of his goals have been big, yet he get's very little recognition for it. He's got better numbers than the Sedins, Zetterberg, Alfredsson etc. in international hockey.

Davebo*

forsberg6.jpg

He has an unbelievable 116 points in 87 games for Sweden, including a record 31 points in 7 games at the World Junior Championship of 1993.

2 Olympic Gold
2 World Championship Gold
3 World Championship Silver
2 World Junior Championship Silver (all time top scorer of the tournament)

You can't do better than that. That goal to win it for Sweden is the #1 highlight of his career. He's retired, but he's the best international performer of all time IMO.

He's still playing for the national team? Because this thread is looking at Current players (see the thread title). That Jr tournament alone was 22+ years ago! :laugh:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Mikael Granlund is one of the best

Granlund has been a disappointment internationally after his first World championship. Hard to believe he only has less than 0.8PPG in the WC. 1,17 in the Olympics, but in only one tournament..

Eirhead*

When I think World Juniors, I think Eberle. That one year... the guy will go down in Canadian WJC history in my mind. :laugh:

He had 2 very good years back to back with nearly identical heroics. The main difference was that the first one resulted in a gold medal.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Selänne all time most olympic points and goals! Also he had to play against best on best competition five times out of 6 tournaments (1998- and on), still does well against Sovjet and Czechoslovakian legends. Still had a PPG tournament as 44 year old in Sochi.. Scored against most points against Russia and USA :handclap:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He had 2 very good years back to back with nearly identical heroics. The main difference was that the first one resulted in a gold medal.

I'm thinking the gold medal year. The one where we realistically didn't deserve to win. :(

I believe we were let out of the penalty box too early vs the Russians.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
As a Pens fan I was going to throw Crosby's name into the mix. I thought Sid had a decent tournament this go around, but then I noticed Malkin has the better international record. Better Olympic record and way more GP for Geno, and he has a WC MVP as well. I'd say he's been stellar internationally.

Crosby in international competitions:

WJC (2 tournaments, 1 gold, 1 silver): 12 gp, 8 goals, 6 assists, 14 points
WC (2 tournament, 1 gold): 18 gp, 12 goals, 15 assists, 27 points
OLY (2 tournaments, 2 golds): 13 gp, 5 goals, 5 assists, 10 points
TOTAL (6 tournaments, 4 golds, 1 silver): 43 gp, 25 goals, 26 assists, 51 points

1.19PPG internationally, compared to 1.37PPG in the NHL regular season and 1.18PPG in the playoffs. His international PPG is nearly identical to his playoff PPG, pretty interesting.

Malkin in internation competitions (I don't remember all the medals):

WJC (3 tournaments): 18 gp, 8 goals, 17 assists, 25 points
WC (7 tournaments): 53 gp, 33 goals, 33 assists, 66 points
OLY (3 tournaments): 16 gp, 6 goals, 9 assists, 15 points
TOTAK (13 tournaments): 87 gp, 47 goals, 59 assists, 106 points

1.22PPG internationally, compared to 1.20PPG in the NHL regular season and 1.10PPG in the NHL playoffs.

In terms of PPG, Crosby and Malkin are comparable internationally. Pretty equal. Malkin played way more though, so more difficult to maintain a great PPG.

Both are pretty good international players.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Single-handily bringing Canada back in the 3rd period of the gold medal game after having won the new year's eve game all by himself was more impressive than THE goal IMO. Too bad John Carlson happened.

For fun, Eberle's international stats:

WJC (2 tournaments, 1 gold, 1 silver): 12 GP, 14 goals, 12 assists, 26 points
WC (5 tournaments, 1 gold): 39 GP, 14 goals, 20 assists, 34 points
TOTAL (7 tournaments, 2 gold, 1 silver): 41GP, 28 goals, 32 assists, 60 points

1.46 PPG internationally (never made the Olympic team though) compared to 0.80PPG in the NHL regular season (never made the playoffs). 0.87PPG at the senior level which is much closer to his NHL PPG. Well, safe to say that Eberle is a real WJC legend.

Last edited:

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Saku Koivu deserves mention. He has 94 points in 89 games at the Olympics, World Cup and World Championships combined. He won a silver and three bronze at the Olympics, a silver at the World Cup, and a gold and silver at the world championships. He also captained Team Finland at every major tournament he played in from 1997 until 2010.

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
Sweden
Makarov
Kharmalov
Fetisov
Maltsev
Sundin
Firsov
Stastny
Selänne
Petrov
Mikhailov
Crosby
P.Forsberg
M.Prochazka
V.Peltonen
Nummelin

All time best players international hockey. 😁

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I will add Roman cervenka here as a modern day warrior. He has two gold medals for the Czechs in their absolute darkest timeline.

Played with jagr for a gold on 2010. Played with pasta for a gold in 2024.

Approaching 100 games played at world's as well.. the man has legitimately seen the best and worst of Czech hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad