Who are best "garbage goal" scorers in the NHL today?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
As much as I hate that term - "garbage goal" - it is a term that every hockey fan understands. It is usually a goal scored by someone near to - if not in - the goal crease. Often the scorer is tapping in a rebound, or deflecting a shot on the net. Throughout the history of the NHL, there have been players who specialized in scoring "garbage goals." Camille Henry, Dave Andreychuk and Johan Franzen are three excellent examples.

Who are the forwards today who specialize in scoring "garbage goals"?
I don’t include deflecting shots as garbage goals…not important to the discussion, but thought I’d note….to the question though, first names that come to mind are Hyman and Krieder

Reactions: Davenport

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I find it strange that OP used Johan Franzen as an example when he wasn't even the best example on his team. That'd be Tomas Holmström.

As for current players I think of Kreider, Brady Tkachuk, Landeskog and Pavelski (if either of those last two can still be considered current).

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
I guess we could debate if you should call deflection goals garbage goals, especially if the player knows what he is doing and has a great hand-eye coordination.
That's why I said at the top of this thread that I hate that term. There's an assumption that the prolific "garbage goal" scorers just stand in front of the net and try to get their stick on the puck. The fact is that those guys position themselves according to where the puck is, and have a sense of anticipation to be in a good spot for a deflection or rebound. How many times have we seen players - who do not specialize in "garbage goals" - fouling up on what should be a sure goal from close to the net?

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Past - Tim Kerr and Daniel Briere
Present - Kreider

For all those saying Hyman, and you could also include Gallagher, those boys are willing to take severe punishment to get those goals, where most won't dare. Briere would just find a hiding spot on the side of the net.

Reactions: Davenport

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If I could whisper in Lindy Ruff's ear, I would suggest that - on the powerplay - he have Tage Thompson adopt the style which worked so well for Johan Franzan. With his size, no one is going to move Thompson; and with his reach he could get his stick on anything anywhere near the net. He would make life miserable for the goalie trying to see the coming shot.
And neuter one of the best shots in the league??

Reactions: Marioesque

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
And neuter one of the best shots in the league??
The Sabres' powerplay struggled in 2023-24 precisely because of the faith and reliance on "one of the best shots in the league." By the end of the 2022-23 season, the league realized that the focus of the Sabres' powerplay was on getting the puck to Thompson, and effectively neutralized both that big shot and - with it - the powerplay. In 2023-24, the Sabres stuck with that same trick.

What happens with the big shot if Tage doesn't score? Often it winds up back in the Sabres end - or at least out of the opposition end. So then they have to retrieve the puck and start all over again. Even if there were a Sabre in front of the net when Thompson takes his shot, there's no way he's getting his stick on it.

Put Tage in front of the net, and have the focus on getting the puck to the net. When the puck goes back to the point, one of the other Sabres could join him in front of the net.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The Sabres' powerplay struggled in 2023-24 precisely because of the faith and reliance on "one of the best shots in the league." By the end of the 2022-23 season, the league realized that the focus of the Sabres' powerplay was on getting the puck to Thompson, and effectively neutralized both that big shot and - with it - the powerplay. In 2023-24, the Sabres stuck with that same trick.

What happens with the big shot if Tage doesn't score? Often it winds up back in the Sabres end - or at least out of the opposition end. So then they have to retrieve the puck and start all over again. Even if there were a Sabre in front of the net when Thompson takes his shot, there's no way he's getting his stick on it.

Put Tage in front of the net, and have the focus on getting the puck to the net. When the puck goes back to the point, one of the other Sabres could join him in front of the net.
or....hear me out...you find more of a net front prescence plug and create traffic for that elite shot? At half the cost. Finding players not allergic to the front of the net on the PP of all things should be more prominent than taking away your best forward's best asset. This is akin to saying Ovie should go to the net and get hell beat out of him and hope for garbage goals. It's idiotic, especially when your best other trigger man who maybe could pull this ludicrous plan off (Victor Ollosfon) is gonna be gone.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Past - Tim Kerr and Daniel Briere
Present - Kreider

For all those saying Hyman, and you could also include Gallagher, those boys are willing to take severe punishment to get those goals, where most won't dare. Briere would just find a hiding spot on the side of the net.
Gallagher sucks in every aspect of hockey now unfortunately

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad