WHL announces development pilot program

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Not sure how big the changes are - but they're making a big hubbalo about this partnership.

For WHL teams, it's obvious - more flexibility with younger players.
  • All 15-year-old affiliate players will be eligible to play up to 10 games with their WHL Club, the same as 16-year-old affiliate players.
  • Instead of rostering a maximum of five 15-year-old affiliate players in a season, WHL Clubs will be allowed to name up to nine by January 10.
  • If a WHL Club cannot dress a full roster of 20 players for a game, the team will now be eligible to dress two 15-year-old affiliate players.
  • WHL Clubs will be able to designate one 16-year-old player, who upon being returned to a Junior A, Canadian Sport School Hockey League or U18 team, will be allowed to play up to 15 games in the WHL.
  • If one of the four Members participating in the pilot has granted a 12-, 13- or 14-year-old player special status to play in an advanced age category, any such player must be evaluated to ensure they currently meet and are deemed to continue with special player status in their 15-year-old year to qualify and continue to be eligible to play up to 34 games in the WHL.

(Also I'm trying to get a feel on how this affects Jr A, and have yet to figure it out, so if anyone could assist me, that'd be great - so far all I've come up with is this is about leagues preparing for when the ncaa shoe drops and being ready to be flexible when the time comes)

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Visors were going to get grandfathered out, but it looks like they will be allowed in Jr A for those at least 18. I don't see much else there that will affect Jr A teams significantly either.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
The last bullet point is an interesting one to me. If I understand it correctly, they're basically saying if a player played U18 as an underager, got drafted into the WHL and were still deemed a "special player", then they could play half a season? Essentially they get partial exceptional status?

That likely would have allowed guys like Gavin McKenna, Riley Heidt and Brayden Yager to play 34 games the year after they were drafted. Probably better served developing with half a season in the WHL than dominating at the U18 level.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

Not sure how big the changes are - but they're making a big hubbalo about this partnership.

For WHL teams, it's obvious - more flexibility with younger players.
  • All 15-year-old affiliate players will be eligible to play up to 10 games with their WHL Club, the same as 16-year-old affiliate players.
  • Instead of rostering a maximum of five 15-year-old affiliate players in a season, WHL Clubs will be allowed to name up to nine by January 10.
  • If a WHL Club cannot dress a full roster of 20 players for a game, the team will now be eligible to dress two 15-year-old affiliate players.
  • WHL Clubs will be able to designate one 16-year-old player, who upon being returned to a Junior A, Canadian Sport School Hockey League or U18 team, will be allowed to play up to 15 games in the WHL.
  • If one of the four Members participating in the pilot has granted a 12-, 13- or 14-year-old player special status to play in an advanced age category, any such player must be evaluated to ensure they currently meet and are deemed to continue with special player status in their 15-year-old year to qualify and continue to be eligible to play up to 34 games in the WHL.

(Also I'm trying to get a feel on how this affects Jr A, and have yet to figure it out, so if anyone could assist me, that'd be great - so far all I've come up with is this is about leagues preparing for when the ncaa shoe drops and being ready to be flexible when the time comes)
I am generally supportive of Hockey Canada and want to see these programs do well, but I read this looking for some indication that the federation or its branches were responding to the challenges identified by the BCHL's defection and dissatisfaction within.

But this strikes me as primarily benefiting the WHL - by locking players in earlier - without recognizing that players might have needs that are not being met by the current structure. So not only do I not see anything to benefit the Junior A leagues, I don't see any real advancement for players, except for a few who might get an early start on their WHL career. It strikes me as completely misreading the room.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
I am generally supportive of Hockey Canada and want to see these programs do well, but I read this looking for some indication that the federation or its branches were responding to the challenges identified by the BCHL's defection and dissatisfaction within.

But this strikes me as primarily benefiting the WHL - by locking players in earlier - without recognizing that players might have needs that are not being met by the current structure. So not only do I not see anything to benefit the Junior A leagues, I don't see any real advancement for players, except for a few who might get an early start on their WHL career. It strikes me as completely misreading the room.
Well, to be fair and blunt, the AJHL is now really the only sanctioned Junior A league of consequence. And they took a major hit with their top teams bolting for "greener pastures".

The SJHL and MJHL are largely a joke. Sure, great for kids to play competitive hockey for a few years, but there are very, VERY few "legitimate" players who come out of those leagues. The U18 ranks are significantly more of a development league for WHL players.

Reactions: tendyguy

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Visors were going to get grandfathered out, but it looks like they will be allowed in Jr A for those at least 18. I don't see much else there that will affect Jr A teams significantly either.

That was my instinct when reading the rules, but I needed to see if I was missing something, so thanks!

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Well, to be fair and blunt, the AJHL is now really the only sanctioned Junior A league of consequence. And they took a major hit with their top teams bolting for "greener pastures".

The SJHL and MJHL are largely a joke. Sure, great for kids to play competitive hockey for a few years, but there are very, VERY few "legitimate" players who come out of those leagues. The U18 ranks are significantly more of a development league for WHL players.

In fairness, the MJHL has had a few "legitimate" players, but players who fit that description tend to use the league as a bit of a pit stop before moving on to the NCAA. But isn't that generally the case with most top end junior A players, including in the AJHL?

tendyguy

Jun 25, 2024

Depends on who is in the room, and who the room is targeting. For WHL teams and prospective WHLers, there are plenty of things that this changes.

• For the few athletes who are given permission to play up a division at a young age (almost always the same ones who apply for exceptional status) there is less of a need to apply if you can already play 34 games as a 15 year old - if you are good enough.
  • In some cases it is better to develop in U18 AAA or U18 Prep than play in the WHL as a 16 year old, but if you are limited to 10 games when you are not on the WHL card then often teams will lean toward keeping them. But if you can play 15 games now, get tons of ice time with your U18 or with a Jr A team, then come for the remainder of the season when you lose out - that is a nice option.
The impact on Jr A seems to be unknown, but should CHL players gain NCAA eligibility then there may be times when WHL teams place a 16 year old in one of those leagues but near them so that they can pull up as needed. That said, it hasn't been a common practice as they most often place with U18 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad