Which "unreachable" sports records could be broken?

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
There are a number of sports records that won't be broken. Gretzky's total points and assists, Cy Young's wins, Jerry Rice's receiving yards, Wilt's PPG, Petty's total NASCAR wins. But what/which sports records that once seemed insurmountable have a chance at being broken one day?

Does TJ Watt have a shot at Bruce Smith's sack record? Can Ovechkin overtake Gretzky in goals? Will Katie Ledecky or Caeleb Dressel end up with more Olympic medals than Phelps?

What say you?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It won't get the attention of some of the achievements mentioned but today a horse named Bango could become the winningest horse in the history of Churchill Downs with 12 victories.

The prior record, by Ready's Rocket, was set at nine wins 11 years ago and before that no documentation exists of a horse winning more times in the roughly 150 years of the track's history (though records were sparse).

Churchill is arguably America's most known racetrack.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
In this year's Tour de France 39 year-old Mark Cavendish broke the record for most career stage wins, which stood for almost 30 years and was considered untouchable.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Jul 19, 2010
New York
In this year's Tour de France 39 year-old Mark Cavendish broke the record for most career stage wins, which stood for almost 30 years and was considered untouchable.

Uhmm… Merckx won his last stage in 1975, Cavendish tied the record in 2021. That’s 46 years, not 30. Now that said, Merckx’s record of TdF stage wins isn’t even his most impressive record. His 96 Yellow Jerseys are 21 more than 2nd place (Hinault) and given the way the sport has evolved it’s hard to imagine anyone matching that.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Uhmm… Merckx won his last stage in 1975, Cavendish tied the record in 2021. That’s 46 years, not 30. Now that said, Merckx’s record of TdF stage wins isn’t even his most impressive record. His 96 Yellow Jerseys are 21 more than 2nd place (Hinault) and given the way the sport has evolved it’s hard to imagine anyone matching that.

Are you telling me it's not 2004?! Holy hell I've got some movies I need to return to Blockbuster ASAP!! Those late fees are gonna be astronomical.

Sorry. You're right of course. Was just typing a quick post and not really doing correct math.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack Straw

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
This one surprised me:

In 1983, Jarmila Kratochvílová set the world record for the 800 metres, which still stands and is currently the longest-standing unshared individual world record in athletics. Only two athletes, Pamela Jelimo of Kenya (2008), and Caster Semenya of South Africa (2018), have come within a second of Kratochvílová's mark since it was set

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
This one surprised me:

In 1983, Jarmila Kratochvílová set the world record for the 800 metres, which still stands and is currently the longest-standing unshared individual world record in athletics. Only two athletes, Pamela Jelimo of Kenya (2008), and Caster Semenya of South Africa (2018), have come within a second of Kratochvílová's mark since it was set
Then there's Marita Koch's (DDR) world record of 400 meters from 1985; 47.60 seconds. No one else, except for the aforementioned Kratochvilova, has ever run under 48 seconds, and today's top 400 m runners can't even get close.

Since I'm not sure whether it's allowed to 'speculate' about 'unproven(?) allegations', I'll just say that they were very gifted athletes who were at the right place at the right time. (How's that for diplomacy?)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In the case of Koch it's as good as proven that she was given anabolic steroids at least from 1981 to 1984.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad