Speculation: which teams are in need of cap space ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Demote 2 players on their current 23 man roster to the AHL and they’re cap compliant. They’re only $1.5M over the cap.
It will probably work except do you think the team will never have more than 1 player injured for a handful of games?

Are you factoring in potential bonus $ that will be earned?

Is the team not going to want to add at the deadline?

I'm not saying CAR needs to deal good assets to clear cap space, but you would be wrong to think that they don't want to create a bit more breathing room for a whole bunch of reasons.

Reactions: bernmeister

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
It will probably work except do you think the team will never have more than 1 player injured for a handful of games?

Are you factoring in potential bonus $ that will be earned?

Is the team not going to want to add at the deadline?

I'm not saying CAR needs to deal good assets to clear cap space, but you would be wrong to think that they don't want to create a bit more breathing room for a whole bunch of reasons.

They’ve typically hovered between 500k and $1M in space throughout the season. Sending Gardiner down and either Leivo or Lorentz, gives then a net positive of $3-400K in space. Gardiner going onto LTIR is also a possibility. They’re fine.

Between now and the deadline is an eternity. The Canes typically have and retain that buffer under the cap to bank deadline space. By demoting players, they’d still be able to do that.

Necas is likely the only player to be on the roster all year who will have attainable performance bonuses. If that becomes a problem, I’m sure the Canes will be more than happy to deal with that next year in bonus overages.

The only potential problem they may run into is injuries, but even then, there’s short and long term LTIR to work with along with their prospect pool bursting at the seems with guys on ELCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They’ve typically hovered between 500k and $1M in space throughout the season. Sending Gardiner down and either Leivo or Lorentz, gives then a net positive of $3-400K in space. Gardiner going onto LTIR is also a possibility. They’re fine.

Between now and the deadline is an eternity. The Canes typically have and retain that buffer under the cap to bank deadline space. By demoting players, they’d still be able to do that.

Necas is likely the only player to be on the roster all year who will have attainable performance bonuses. If that becomes a problem, I’m sure the Canes will be more than happy to deal with that next year in bonus overages.

The only potential problem they may run into is injuries, but even then, there’s short and long term LTIR to work with along with their prospect pool bursting at the seems with guys on ELCs.
Negative for Carolina now is that their A club is no longer in state in Charlotte. Signed with Chicago wolves. So not just a paper transaction anymore for them to get guys up and down from the A.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This post has Vancouver written all over it. Not a lot of wiggle room with two high profile players still to sign

Reactions: bernmeister

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Vegas is right at the cap - Tuch LTIR for the start of the season, but come February they’ll have to navigate the cap possibly waiving Carrier and Koelsar and going with only 12 F.

Caps are also at the Cap, but waiving Kempny gives them the space.

Blues are right as well - still need to sign Thomas and I believe there was rumor of Bozak having a deal in place... even with Sunny on LTIR to start the season it will be tricky to add both Bozak and Thomas.

Canes have Gardiner on LTIR with Hip surgery.

Edmonton is still trying to get Yamamoto signed and have some players that can be waived to creat some space and of course LTIR for Klefbom

Canuck could be hard pressed depending on the deals for Hughes and Petey

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d send JT Compher to Detroit for nothing. Would add Shane Bowers as the incentive. To the Avs. A worn $2 bill.

But the Avs like JTC for reasons I can’t explain.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vegas is right at the cap - Tuch LTIR for the start of the season, but come February they’ll have to navigate the cap possibly waiving Carrier and Koelsar and going with only 12 F.

Blues are right as well - still need to sign Thomas and I believe there was rumor of Bozak having a deal in place... even with Sunny on LTIR to start the season it will be tricky to add both Bozak and Thomas.

Edmonton is still trying to get Yamamoto signed and have some players that can be waived to creat some space and of course LTIR for Klefbom

This is correct but Vegas would have 13F and 6D waiving Coghlan with Tuch back the last about 26 games. Or the 12F and 7D if they waive Kolesar, but they love him so I'm not sure they would. Not ideal but workable.

Most I could see is an outright Carrier trade or trading Janmark for a late pick when Tuch comes back, which would allow them to go with 13F and 7D, very workable, that last third of the season. Some contending team would take Janmark as a depth rental for a 5th and only around 650k cap space needed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

But is Gardiner done for the entire season?

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me

Caps fans, would the Caps waive Kempny? Would Isles bite?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
But is Gardiner done for the entire season?

Waddell mentioned hip surgery, so he could be, however, if they bury Gardiner after that they are about 350k from being under the cap - workable. They would be in a similar boat to the Caps and Vegas where they may. have to be down a roster player to make it all work.

Last edited:

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019

thanks for getting us up to speed

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Capitals would not waive Kempny. He's supposedly healthy and probably is pegged to play with Carlson. They're a good pairing, at least when he's healthy.

If training camp shows otherwise, then they'll need to make moves, but that's the plan right now. If that sounds a little thin, well it is.

The Caps are tight up against the cap, but under it right now. They'd need to ice a roster under 23 players to do so.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Waddell mentioned hip surgery, so he could be, however if they bury Gardiner after that they are about 350k from being under the cap workable. They would be in a similar boat to the Caps and vegas where they may. have to be down a roster player to make it all work.

The Canes could bury Gardiner in the AHL along with a depth forward (Lorentz or Leivo) to come out $3-400K on the right side of the cap with a 21 man roster (12 F, 7D, 2G). That’s moot though, since now they will have full LTIR relief due to Gardiner’s surgery.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver fricking Canucks. Benning saved his 2 most important players for blast and now we are out of cap room.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The Canes could bury Gardiner in the AHL along with a depth forward (Lorentz or Leivo) to come out $3-400K on the right side of the cap with a 21 man roster (12 F, 7D, 2G). That’s moot though, since now they will have full LTIR relief due to Gardiner’s surgery.

Right, is that not what I posted?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The Capitals would not waive Kempny. He's supposedly healthy and probably is pegged to play with Carlson. They're a good pairing, at least when he's healthy.

If training camp shows otherwise, then they'll need to make moves, but that's the plan right now. If that sounds a little thin, well it is.

The Caps are tight up against the cap, but under it right now. They'd need to ice a roster under 23 players to do so.

Right now they are 12 F - 7 D- 2 G.
I mentioned this in another thread, but if Ovie took 150k-200k less, then the Caps could easily promote McMichael or sign a Vet at the league minimum. There is no shuttling between AHL teams when you have no room under the cap.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Vancouver fricking Canucks. Benning saved his 2 most important players for blast and now we are out of cap room.

once you remove the AHL fodder on the roster, then the Canucks have about 13.5 m. cap space and that is including Ferland.
Petey should get a similar contract to Barzal, Tkachuk, and Point... 3/7.
And whatever is left is what Hughes gathers up in a 2 or 3-year deal.

If the team knows that Ferland is not ever coming back, then that gives the team the ability to resign Petey and Quinn to longer-term deals that lock them up for 5 to 6 years at 8.5+

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeMc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad