Which team would be the best in a league with no cap

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
None of them hurt the leafs. All were past their primes. If you actually read what i said, I'm simply saying that the leafs couldn't buy themselves a cup.. which is true, so im not sure what youre arguing with me about.
You said they were past this prime looking for big deals, I took that as a perceived negative on your part. I’m saying they weren’t a negative, Leetch and Mogilny particularly.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I recall that right before they ditched the cap, the biggest spenders were the Flyers, Rangers and Leafs (post Ballard). Today I might add Vegas to this list.

Spending more than other teams didn’t make any of these franchises dominant like it does in the MLB, most likely because big name UFAs were past their prime when signed. For example I don’t think you’d have Edmonton ditching McDavid or Draisaitl the way the Miami Marlins just ditched Jazz Chisholm Jr. I mean bad trades did happen (exp Doug Gilmour) but I don’t recall the pre-cap NHL operating like that.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Agree, but I'm not sure I agree fully with the bolded. Right before the cap happened, the Wings had a payroll of 78m and the league average was 44m. Teams that both drafted really well AND had owners who were willing to go above and beyond to keep the depth players and add even more in UFA were at a significant advantage. Yeah, just having Rangers cash without the drafting ain't getting you anywhere. But, you ain't bringing in Hasek, Hull, Robitaille and keeping all your middle six guys you drafted if your owner ain't going all in either.
That's true, but the point I was trying to make was on the player salary level, not team. In this hypothetical no cap world, I'm sure salaries would be on average a little higher. Let's say that Tampa manages to resign Stamkos at $10 mil instead of him going to Nashville for $8 mil. Then they add Guentzel and keep Sergachev. Cascade the changes and suddenly they're way over the average team salary. I'm sure that would happen. But I don't think you'd see the Rangers offering Stamkos $16 mil to join a bunch of $15-20 mil star UFAs that they keep signing. If they were behaving that way, I think it could shift the competitive balance more than competent management.

I think the basement dwelling + poor teams would be the real losers. Right now there is a path to a competetive Columbus Blue Jackets. It's narrow, frought with pitfalls and requires very skilled management. In the cap-less world, they're an NHL level farm team in perpetuity.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Would love to have seen what the Leafs could have done pre-cap with MLSE Ownership.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Leafs certainly never would have tanked to the point of being able to draft Matthews.
I don't know.

The Leafs tanked by selling off players like Kessel and Reimer for future picks and prospects.

Won't be easier for the Leafs in a cap free would to trade off contracts? Especially if salary retention was a thing.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
That's true, but the point I was trying to make was on the player salary level, not team. In this hypothetical no cap world, I'm sure salaries would be on average a little higher. Let's say that Tampa manages to resign Stamkos at $10 mil instead of him going to Nashville for $8 mil. Then they add Guentzel and keep Sergachev. Cascade the changes and suddenly they're way over the average team salary. I'm sure that would happen. But I don't think you'd see the Rangers offering Stamkos $16 mil to join a bunch of $15-20 mil star UFAs that they keep signing. If they were behaving that way, I think it could shift the competitive balance more than competent management.

I think the basement dwelling + poor teams would be the real losers. Right now there is a path to a competetive Columbus Blue Jackets. It's narrow, frought with pitfalls and requires very skilled management. In the cap-less world, they're an NHL level farm team in perpetuity.
In a no-cap world Stamkos would get far more than 10M. Consider that back in 2004 right before the cap Lidstrom was making 10M/yr. I doubt 20 years later the stars would still be making at. Without a cap the past 20 years and judging by how much the revenues have gone up I’d wager that Stamkos (and any other star player these days) would be closer to 20M/yr. Don’t forget teams with nearly limitless pockets like NYR, Toronto, Montreal, etc were what set the salary scale in those days. Keep in mind Sakic got a 15M offer sheet and Fedorov had the famous 28M one back then. 20M would probably be the low end for star contracts now.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Would love to have seen what the Leafs could have done pre-cap with MLSE Ownership.
There was a period I recall when the Leafs had Cliff Fletcher and poached players from the Flames and became competitive (Conference Final appearance). Likewise the Rangers did the same with the Oilers. Small market Canadian teams were on the brink of folding when the Canadian dollar tanked, and rich franchises took advantage.

Reactions: ACC1224

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Toronto AINEC.

But it's not gonna matter since they're gonna be the best in a year when McDavid #ComesHome to play with his childhood idol #BigPapi

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I don't know.

The Leafs tanked by selling off players like Kessel and Reimer for future picks and prospects.

Won't be easier for the Leafs in a cap free would to trade off contracts? Especially if salary retention was a thing.
You have to remember how they operated back then. They could buy players to be competitive and they absolutely did. Selling off to tank was never an option for them. Plus they had a ton more revenue because revenue sharing wasn’t a thing and probably wouldn’t be in a no cap world now. From 1990-2004 in the pre cap era they never picked higher than 8th and only in the top 10 3 times. I can’t see them suddenly deciding to sell off and tank rather than buy more overpriced UFAs as was their model. The cap changed the way you build teams. It’s all about drafting now and UFAs aren’t really core players on winning teams like they used to be.

Reactions: Minnesota Knudsens

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Toronto had what? 16 seasons between Ballard and the Cap.

Missed playoffs, then 5 years in the playoffs in the Gilmour/Clark era, with 2 conference finals.

Then missed playoffs for 2 seasons as they made a mini-rebuild.. Trading Gilmour for Steve Sullivan, Alyn McCauley & Jason Smith is one best damn "sell a star for youngsters"-trade ever made.

While the Leafs then never reached the cup finals, they only had ONE season until the lockout where they failed to win a playoff series.

Maybe they would still be cup-less if there was no cap for the last twenty years, but I am willing to bet that over 50% of the seasons since then, they would have won a playoff series.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
In a no-cap world Stamkos would get far more than 10M. Consider that back in 2004 right before the cap Lidstrom was making 10M/yr. I doubt 20 years later the stars would still be making at. Without a cap the past 20 years and judging by how much the revenues have gone up I’d wager that Stamkos (and any other star player these days) would be closer to 20M/yr. Don’t forget teams with nearly limitless pockets like NYR, Toronto, Montreal, etc were what set the salary scale in those days. Keep in mind Sakic got a 15M offer sheet and Fedorov had the famous 28M one back then. 20M would probably be the low end for star contracts now.
The Montreal Canadiens were absolutely not a team with "limitless pockets" at that time. The Habs were picking up over-the-hill players like Doug Gilmour and Joe Juneau, or borderline NHLers like Andreas Dackell. They also lost Stephane Quintal to free agency when the Rangers signed him for way more than what he should have made.

Reactions: Minnesota Knudsens

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
I think every player in the NHL right now dreams of playing with mcdavid. Edmonton would have the most stacked team ever without a salary cap

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Toronto AINEC.

But it's not gonna matter since they're gonna be the best in a year when McDavid #ComesHome to play with his childhood idol #BigPapi
Not according to history, they still haven’t won 3 rounds ever, let alone 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sniper99

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
You said they were past this prime looking for big deals, I took that as a perceived negative on your part. I’m saying they weren’t a negative, Leetch and Mogilny particularly.
What i said was 100% true, wether you perceived it as a negative or positive comment. Toronto used their buying power and payed these guys well above market value, because there was no salary cap, and still were never able to come close to winning a cup. This is what the thread is about. Not wether or not leetch or mogilny were good players.

My whole point originally was, cap or not, building through the draft is the way to win.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What i said was 100% true, wether you perceived it as a negative or positive comment. Toronto used their buying power and payed these guys well above market value, because there was no salary cap, and still were never able to come close to winning a cup. This is what the thread is about. Not wether or not leetch or mogilny were good players.

My whole point originally was, cap or not, building through the draft is the way to win.
Buying free agents doesn’t prevent you from drafting. There is no one way to win, that’s silly.

I have never heard anyone say bringing in Leetch or Mogilny was a bad move for the Leafs. Success is never guaranteed

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I think every player in the NHL right now dreams of playing with mcdavid. Edmonton would have the most stacked team ever without a salary cap
Doubtful. In a no-cap world every player would know that McDavid (and Drai) would hit UFA where they would easily get 30M+/yr offers (he’ll maybe even 40M) offers from the deepest pocket big market teams. Would Edmonton be able to shell out 60-80M for those 2 and still afford to spend big on a team around them? I’m not sure if they could budget that.

Edmonton would be stuck in the hell most pre-cap teams were where they had their stars up until UFA and inevitably traded them before losing them for nothing. If you can’t match (and probably exceed) some massive offer from the big market clubs you wouldn’t keep the player. And everyone knows that so nobody is going to commit to Edmonton just to watch the team break up in a year or two (assuming Edmonton could even afford to bring in big time UFAs and still pay McDrai).

I really think people underestimate what the market rate for player would be without a cap. We are just now, 20 years later, getting salaries to a point that they were pre-cap. 10M would be second-line money if no cap existed. 20M for stars minimum. Guys like McDavid and Crosby in their prime? Only a select few teams could step up to offer them the contracts that The Rangers, Leafs, etc would throw their way. No cap probably means Malkin leaves Pittsburgh long ago and Crosby maybe as well. Most teams operated in the red under those payrolls and needed multiple playoff rounds just to break even (Detroit and Colorado for sure, Dallas and NJ did as well from what I recall at the time). Even teams like Colorado had to trade good players because of payroll constraints back then. Teams either lost money to keep up, or were the ultra rich who could afford bad contracts without a care.

Last edited:

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Buying free agents doesn’t prevent you from drafting. There is no one way to win, that’s silly.

I have never heard anyone say bringing in Leetch or Mogilny was a bad move for the Leafs. Success is never guaranteed
I agree. But trading away draft picks for guys like this does affect how these teams are built. I said management meant alot, and what toronto management always had done was trade picks, prospects for aging stars that might or might not of put them over the top. They'd contunially mortgage the future for help today and it never worked.

I do however agree with you in a way..
Im just saying, it never worked for toronto.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
The teams that would benefit the most is Lightning, Vegas, Nashville, and Florida. They have the most committed ownership groups.

It definitely wouldn't be the Leafs. I doubt the Leafs would be the highest spending team. They would still have to overpay to attract players to that gong show, so not much different to how it is in reality.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
History tells us Detroit, New Jersey, and Colorado would likely still be top teams with no cap. Tampa and Vegas would be as well. I doubt Toronto or NY would be any different than the high-spending failures they were back then. Leafs certainly never would have tanked to the point of being able to draft Matthews.
It depends on how you do it but I feel like a lot of people are missing a key point to that free spending Era. The teams that dominated were med-large markets with top quality drafted cores already in place when spending opened up. They used playoff $$$ to keep spending to compliment the cores.

The Rangers and Leafs failed despite being the biggest spenders because they never had a good young core in place when they started throwing big $$$ around at 30+ players. If you could switch that flip on today when they are actually good teams, it would be a very different story.

I'm no Leafs fan but to be fair to them if they had a young Matthews/Marner/Nylander and were able to spend freely they'd have some Cups and be hard to beat.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
It depends on how you do it but I feel like a lot of people are missing a key point to that free spending Era. The teams that dominated were med-large markets with top quality drafted cores already in place when spending opened up. They used playoff $$$ to keep spending to compliment the cores.

The Rangers and Leafs failed despite being the biggest spenders because they never had a good young core in place when they started throwing big $$$ around at 30+ players. If you could switch that flip on today when they are actually good teams, it would be a very different story.

I'm no Leafs fan but to be fair to them if they had a young Matthews/Marner/Nylander and were able to spend freely they'd have some Cups and be hard to beat.
True, but no cap means the Leafs never tank to the extent that they are drafting those players to begin with.

Most of the good core teams were not from top 5 picks but great drafting in later rounds (and predatory trades with teams who absolutely had to move a player or lose them to UFA).

Detroit had Fedorov, Lidstrom, Konstatinov, Holmstrom, Kozlov, McCarty, and Dandenault as players drafted outside Round 1. Colorado had Foote, Kamensky, Gusarov, Klemm but a ton of excellent trades and good draft picks. Same with New Jersey. Same with Dallas. Lots of good picks in later parts of the draft and low 1st rounders all hit then smart trades for great value from teams forced to trade. Teams were not built with homegrown top 5 picks back then.

Last edited:

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Rangers, Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, Philly and Toronto were the big spenders. The Molson's didn't want to spend the money and sold the Habs to Gillett.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Not to mention they are one of the highest revenue teams with an owner that will spare no expenses. I doubt any other team could flex on the Oilers financially in order to poach one of McDavid and Draisaitl unlike 20 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00