Which team with some expectations for success will be the biggest flop in the league this season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It usually takes time for a team to adapt when they make significant changes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see then struggle a bit out of the gate and pick up steam as the season marches on.

I'm not sure what their fans are expecting but I presume the expectations are high due to the brand name acquisitions. It's a bit dicey due to the milage on those brand names, though.

I could see this easily happening. History has shown that teams who add too many new players in a season tend not to do well and struggle. Their moves reminded me of some of those Rangers teams, when they'd sign all the big names and finish 4th.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Out of curiosity what are your expectations from Toronto ? Most of us don't expect anything other than maybe a 2nd round appearance, I haven't heard any major media member or anyone say they are cup favorites.
First time they have had a team built properly in the Matthews era. The division is as weak as its ever been from top end teams. If they don't do it this year it's bad news in the big smoke. Only thing I'd be worried about is one of these inexperienced goalies carrying the load. Neither has done it in the NHL.

Other than that they actually have a competent playoff NHL d core. Pains me to say it as a Sens fan but there should be real expectations and pressure. They have the pieces for a deep run.

Again. What expectations?

There is no main board "The Sabres are finally going to make the playoffs this year" thread, most people have them in 6th or 7th in the Atlantic standings prediction thread.

Expectations are low for the Sabres this year. Last year a lot of people had them making the playoffs because they only missed by 1 point the year before. There's no such enthusiasm this time around.
I think they're gonna make it at the expense of my sens. It's gonna be close but they should get in. Pure talent they are easily a top 8 team in the east. I think Jack Quinn and Thompson stay healthy and they explode offensively.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What makes you say the Bruins will be struggling? They're a better team than they were last year, lol.
Are they? Definitely not in net, forwards are better but by how much. Same great d core. Seems to me they are about the same. Just wild to me how people think switching the Korpse in could be considered lateral with any goalie let alone Ullmark. Need Swayman to play 65 games next year.

Reactions: SNES

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
Two goals from a cup is about as meaningful as two goals from losing in round 2.
Really? Tell that to all the teams that never even get to the finals, I’ll bet they’ll take that over a 1st round and out playoffs or not even getting into the playoffs! You don’t think a team can build on a cup finals loss? Ask Florida about that !! :facepalm::rolleyes:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Really? Tell that to all the teams that never even get to the finals, I’ll bet they’ll take that over a 1st round and out playoffs or not even getting into the playoffs! You don’t think a team can build on a cup finals loss? Ask Florida about that !! :facepalm::rolleyes:
Sure thing, I’ll call up Florida this afternoon.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
2 goals away from a cup and now they're "too old, too slow" and Skinner is "AHL" caliber !! Maybe tennis is more your game?
;):dunno:

The person you qouted said the D was AHL caliber not the goaltending, and while not entirely true once you get past Bouchard and Ekholm It's not great

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yes. The guy with 23 wins for the Leafs last year was the problem...and the solution is a guy who doesn't have 23 wins in all of his NHL career.

You obviously didn’t watch many leaf games. If you had, you’d know the team was winning despite Sammy in net.

A lot of comebacks, OT’s that didn’t need to happen and blown leads in those 23 wins

At one point arguing about Sammy’s w/l record ast season I posted the three goalies stats. Sammy was high 700’s and jones and woll were both over 915

If you actually watched the games instead of looking at a stat line, you’d know how bad Sammy was.

Do you think they didn’t sign Sammy because he was good?

This is a fantastic example of someone who just looks up a player on hockey reference and draws a conclusion, with absolutely zero insight or context behind the numbers.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
"Hopefully Edmonton"

1623732900133.gif

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
You obviously didn’t watch many leaf games. If you had, you’d know the team was winning despite Sammy in net.
Yes. Each of those wins were worth two points, regardless how they won. You don't get less points for an ugly win...so replacing an ugly win with a prettier one won't move a team ahead in the standings.

Regardless of how well Samsonov played, the Leafs didn't lose many points overall because of his play.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I think Nashville in the West. Carolina the East.

Canucks aren't a rational choice. Coaching/systems too good. Offensive depth and core is solid. Team has momentum and wants to build off of it last year. CAP space to spend at the trade deadline. The Canucks are going to win the division again and its because Rick Tocchet is a fantastic coach.

Nashville missing playoffs and/or being bottom in the central div would be really really bad. Don't know about Canucs expectations, but I'm guessing take would take serious beating for missing playoffs.

Even if the Devils miss playoffs, there are already good excuses available.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I’m not sold on the devils. I think they’re a small, soft team without a ton of veteran leadership or grit in their lineup. They may surprise me but I’m still confused as why they’re the sexy pick to win a cup by so many right now.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I’m not sold on the devils. I think they’re a small, soft team without a ton of veteran leadership or grit in their lineup. They may surprise me but I’m still confused as why they’re the sexy pick to win a cup by so many right now.
I'm not sold on Marky at all. If their best players can stay healthy I think they will be fun but I'm not sure the moves they made on the other side of the puck and in net are as good as everyone is touting them to be

Reactions: Leafshater67

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
“Cup or Bust” will always be better than whatever “HoUsEMonEY!” was. At least one team had real ambition and wasn’t playing off luck.
Oh come off it already with this luck shit. In fact it was luck that you guys didn't face Demko.

You were one of a bunch of oilers fans that every ten games or so claimed Vancouver would completely fall apart and when they wouldn't you made up a new BS stat to show how flukey it was.

It was actually really pathetic since you cheer for a team that has had nothing but luck with your current core of 2 #1 picks one generational and a 3rd overall and what was Nurse a 8th? while Vancouver built their core with a 5th, 7th, 23rd and a 21st (traded for JT).

As for this thread, you guys are gonna battle for a WC, no Kane, no assets or cap to make a trade until March if you actually accrue space we shall see. Last year you literally needed #97 to go God mode from about the 15th game and while he's still the best in the world something tells me his back is sore from carrying a roster so full of holes.

I hope that you take your medicine like a man when the nucks finish way ahead of your oilers like I will if I'm wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Are they? Definitely not in net, forwards are better but by how much. Same great d core. Seems to me they are about the same. Just wild to me how people think switching the Korpse in could be considered lateral with any goalie let alone Ullmark. Need Swayman to play 65 games next year.
The Bruins defense is definitely better with losing Grzelcyk and adding Zadorov. Their defense is absolutely huge.

Zadorov: 6'6' 248
Carlo: 6'6 218
Lindholm: 6'4 215
Lohrei: 6'5'' 211
Peeke: 6'3' 210
and the runt, McAvoy at 6'1 210

I'll give you goaltending, though.

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
Everyone says that a team will take a step back if player A and B are hurt for any period of time eg Vancouver with Demko and Hughes. well no duh, you take any 2 top players from any team and there will be regression.

Teams I think/believe that will not be as strong as the "end" of last year are Winnipeg and Las Vegas as they have lost some quality players.

Both Edmonton and Vancouver are weaker than the "end" of last year, but, think Edmonton will feel the loss in their D and are not a young team anymore.

Salary cap has made parity a reality in todays game, for the good or bad, who knows.

Let the season begin!!

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I could see Vancouver taking a step or two back in the regular season but doing better in the playoffs. Teams that dominate the regular season often realize that they've gotta leave enough left in the tank for the real season that starts in April.

I could see Carolina and Boston falling back a bit as well, especially if some of these rebuilding East teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit can finally make the jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad