Which team has a better shot at the cup next season: Colorado or Dallas?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which team has a better shot at the cup next season?

• Colorado

Votes: 45 31.9%
  • Dallas

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Too Close to Call

Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I voted too close to call.

Gun to head, I'd say Dallas, but the Colorado Avalanche to me right now feels like the Blackhawks did in 2011 and 2012. The pillars are as good as ever. They just need to make smart moves with their depth.

You find the right guys for the right roles, everything fits together like a perfect line in tetris and then the whole damn screen clears... like Blackhawks 2013.

I could see Colorado having the same kinda 'click' moment and then go on to terrorize the league.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Colorado has way too many balls in the air at the moment. Dallas would be the safe bet right now, but this could all be flipped in 6 months. Maybe Landeskog is back and looks good, Nuke contract is not on the books and the Avs have done well with the free agency. Dallas has some stuff to do as well but their question marks are not as big.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Colorado. They have 2 top 5 players, and maybe 3 top 10 players. I like looking from the top when considering these things.

No disrepect on Dallas, who I think is tremendous too. I just prefer Colorado

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Colorado. They have 2 top 5 players, and maybe 3 top 10 players. I like looking from the top when considering these things.

No disrepect on Dallas, who I think is tremendous too. I just prefer Colorado
Agreed, it's a lot easier to envision the Avalanche fixing their holes than Dallas acquiring an elite forward.

Reactions: wetcoast

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
As a Stars fan, voted, “Too close to call”. 2 of the top 5 players in the league and a smartly built roster. With the absence of Nichushkin, I would admittedly be disappointed if the Stars were to drop a series to the Avs, but for now I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt and that they will make necessary adjustments and be right there with Dallas next season.

Reactions: dalewood12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can’t see the Avs doing anything without Nuke.

Stars, it depends on how their off season goes to replace some of the old beards that hurt them in the playoffs. Shouldn’t be too hard to find an upgrades in those areas. Considering their youth movement, I’d give this to the Stars.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
As of right now the Avs have way too many question marks. The Nuke situation, will Landeskog be any good once he returns, the cap will kill any depth the team has, will the goaltending suck again etc.

If things work out and management goes bold at the deadline they can lift the cup, otherwise they are a pretender.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I pick Colorado. Dallas will lose some key vet pieces this offseason, while I have full faith in MacK and Makar to have a good year

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dallas is built like a team who loses the cup final. Just not enough elite talent to win it all.
This is why I'd vote Avs in this poll. They (currently) have less depth and more question marks, however -- and this is the key for me -- they have those ELITE pieces in place, particularly up front, that with one or two decent additions, can win it all.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Depth wins you cups. Tampa, Avs, Vegas.. They all won with really deep rosters. Therefore this is Dallas.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Voted for Avs but that's assuming that Landeskog returns and can actually play.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Elite pieces wins you cups. Tampa, Avs, Pittsburgh, Chicago....they all won with truly elite pieces. Depth is just the cherry on top

Eeasier to add depth to a roster then a truly elite piece.

They all still have elite pieces, yet without the depth they get bounced early each and every year. Vegas and St Louis both won recently without top 10 players on their rosters, but with incredible depth. Tampa lost their amazing third line, how do they look now? Colorado lost their scoring depth, got bounced by the Kraken and a deeper Dallas team. The Penguins HBK line was broken up and they never recovered and was a threat again. Chicago also lost a ton of their depth pieces and was never a contender again. Common for all those teams? They still had the same elite pieces but lost their depth. McDavid and Draisaitl are still doing McDavid and Draisaitl things, just like in the past few years. Difference? They have other players on the team also pulling weight. Now they're in the finals.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas has $19 mil in salary cap and the UFA's are Duchene, C. Smith (gone), Pavelski (retiring?), Hakanpää (gone?), Pouliot (gone?), Tanev and Wedgewood. I can see Dallas brining back Tanev and hopefully Duchene and Wedgewood.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Dallas has $19 mil in salary cap and the UFA's are Duchene, C. Smith (gone), Pavelski (retiring?), Hakanpää (gone?), Pouliot (gone?), Tanev and Wedgewood. I can see Dallas brining back Tanev and hopefully Duchene and Wedgewood.
Tanev, Duchene and Harley would eat up the cap space alone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad