Which system/style of hockey that the Habs played do you like more?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Given the roster he had to work with, Martin is an infinitely better coach than bloaty mcfart face.

And this whole thing 'well if we lose, at least make it entertaining' argument is absolute ****ing ********* and it's very disingenuous . It goes like this:

I don't like the coach but we win playing boring hockey = fire the coach, he's too boring

We lose playing entertaining hockey = fire the coach, were losing.

Afaiac, with caveats, win. I don't care how, just win. Of course more entertaining hockey is better, but you go with what makes you win.

With the motley crew of grinders Martin had and the injuries he had to deal with, he pulled off wins and at the time that's all you could ask of him. It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win is a win

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
When Jacques Martin was coaching Ottawa, they scored a lot of goals in their hayday with Alfie, Spezza, Heathly, Hossa, Havlat, Chara and Redden. They also had a very high +/- on ES.

What we saw in Montreal with Martin was the result of what he had to work with. Give him the team we've had in the last two seasons and I'm pretty sure he'd do much better than the neanderthal we have behind the bench right now.

Historically, Habs always played really bad when Markov was out of the lineup, yet Martin has had the best record of all periods of when Markov has been out.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I seem to remember towards the end of martins tenure, the hockey was un bearable to watch.

Therrien is difficult and hard to watch but Martin was un-bearable to watch. Block shots, block shots and block more shots.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I seem to remember towards the end of martins tenure, the hockey was un bearable to watch.

Therrien is difficult and hard to watch but Martin was un-bearable to watch. Block shots, block shots and block more shots.

I didn't love Martin's style, but at least he didn't undermine his most talented players. So I choose the malaria over the jellyfish venom.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
When Jacques Martin was coaching Ottawa, they scored a lot of goals in their hayday with Alfie, Spezza, Heathly, Hossa, Havlat, Chara and Redden. They also had a very high +/- on ES.

Considering he did not win the cup with such a lineup is not a testament of how good he was as a coach but probably more the opposite.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Here's the lineup (healthy) Martin had his last year here where he lost in the first round.

Patch-Gomez-Cammalleri
AK-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-DD-Halpern
Moen-Eller-Darche

Hamrlik-Subban
Spacek-Wisniewski
Gill-Gorges

Price

Sorry but that's actually as good as last 2 years.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Here's the lineup (healthy) Martin had his last year here where he lost in the first round.

Patch-Gomez-Cammalleri
AK-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-DD-Halpern
Moen-Eller-Darche

Hamrlik-Subban
Spacek-Wisniewski
Gill-Gorges

Price

Sorry but that's actually as good as last 2 years.

...no, it isn't even close and your ability to blindly accept every bit of hot garbage that Teflon Therrien tosses out there is mindboggling; I'm starting to wonder if your a Habs fan at all or just a Therrien fan, if such things actually exist...and as bad as watching the team come apart at the seams in Martin's last year+ was, it was still infinitely better than the horrific crapfest of Teflon Therrien... :shakehead

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I really don't know what to say to anyone thinking JM's hockey is better than MT's hockey. More cerebral yeah better not at all. I'm starting to wonder if anyone thinking that is a Habs fan at all or just a Martin fan. JM four dmen system was abyssal and as unwatchable as MT's lack of system system.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
I'll say one thing, Martin knew to use Subban on the PK. He worked Subban hard defensive minutes. MT's first year here, suddenly Subban is off the PK completely. How MT didn't see how good a penalty killer Subban was while he was critiquing him
on AC should show what an incompetent buffon he is.

As far as the poll question, neither.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'll say one thing, Martin knew to use Subban on the PK. He worked Subban hard defensive minutes. MT's first year here, suddenly Subban is off the PK completely. How MT didn't see how good a penalty killer Subban was while he was critiquing him
on AC should show what an incompetent buffon he is.

As far as the poll question, neither.

martin played pk on the pk because he didn't have many other choices. therrien can chose to not play pk on the pk because there are other option. and without pk we still one of the league's best pk, average last year but that's due to the drop in the quality of goaltending.

the last thing anyone wants is pk getting injured blocking a shot playing pk because it makes us fans feel better

Last edited:

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
At this point, neither. I thought JM was a necessary evil when this team was really in transition when he was hired and I think MT would've brought something similar but angrier and more vindictive so I guess JM. But I never thought JM would be the guy to win a cup with the habs, I thought it would be the next guy but, well, we know how that's going. This team knows how to play structured hockey, they knew how to do it before MT was hired, and I think a lot of the veterans are bored of it. They need a coach who can help them use creativity within structure and who will not punish them for trying something.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
At this point, neither. I thought JM was a necessary evil when this team was really in transition when he was hired and I think MT would've brought something similar but angrier and more vindictive so I guess JM. But I never thought JM would be the guy to win a cup with the habs, I thought it would be the next guy but, well, we know how that's going. This team knows how to play structured hockey, they knew how to do it before MT was hired, and I think a lot of the veterans are bored of it. They need a coach who can help them use creativity within structure and who will not punish them for trying something.

Unfortunately, that guy just signed with Ottawa.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mt was good when he first got here. Ill pick MT when he arrived and at the very start of this season.

Habs4ev*

Dec 18, 2015
have not really enjoyed habs hockey since the 70s and 80s, its boring, and MT has made it worse, we are pretty much playing with the mentality of a soccer team, get up by one goal and then its all defense and you try to run out the clock

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Mt was good when he first got here. Ill pick MT when he arrived and at the very start of this season.

I'm on board with this as perhaps the players are.
There is no secret we revert to a version of this original style come the playoffs.
I've always knocked Therrien for not playing it all the time and trying to perfect it FOR the post season.
The argument I get back is it's too tiring on the players...:amazed:
Try the chip flip and dump crap and tell me which is more taxing on an athlete.
A fun possession styled game or a chase?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Havent liked the organizational philosophy for years. Would like a more physical, aggressive and offensive style instead of passive approach this organization has employed for years.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Jacques Martin because I didn't cringe everytime the Habs had to make a defensive zone exit.

Post lockout Therrien hockey was fun though.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hockey in it's simplest form is always a team game, every component has a job to do to the best of their abilities. The fact that people call our GM & coach foxhole buddies, is probably a great thing as foxhole mentality means each person understands each other and their values to the team's concept. Our team was in disarray before Bergevin signed onto bring organization back to the Habs front office & system. Having Therrien a career coach alongside six asst. coaches, sharing the workload of rebuilding the Habs into an "Elite Stanley Cup Contending Team" each year, is doing business the most efficient way without burning your coaches out every couple of yrs. Besides having a great Team of foxhole buddies that are on the same wavelength, 24/7 workaholic GM, Marc Bergevin, doesn't age overnight, collapse before all the team building comes together, draft picks mature, young players acquired in trades are integrated into the team as he's foreseen.(Alongside with his management team, I deem the best in the NHL) Sorry Scotty but you left town and let me down!:laugh:

Finally seeing the Habs coming together as a team with all the attributes, Bergy said was his aim, they may not win it all this season. But it's going to be a very different season than last, this is a team of winners, the adversity faced last year will only intensify their resolve to be the best this season. The Habs core group is maturing into one of the best leadership groups in the NHL, definitely the best group in Montreal since the 1993/1994 season IMHO!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

This is the Montreal Canadiens team not any individual's team, when the Habs lose it's as a team not due to one member of the organization. Remember that haters just gotta hate, fans need to understand they are armchair GM's, not paid to be the best, you do it for the love of the team, as I do!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: Go Habs Go!!!...:yo::yo::yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad