Which system/style of hockey that the Habs played do you like more?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I chose Martin, ..... because his name sounds cooler....
"Jacques Martin"!
Michel Therrien sounds like the kid that gets bullied in the school yard, but "Jacques Martin" sounds like a swashbuckler.
Neither did anything worth while behind the bench, but I'll chose the swashbuckler over the bullied kid any day.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hockey in it's simplest form is always a team game, every component has a job to do to the best of their abilities. The fact that people call our GM & coach foxhole buddies, is probably a great thing as foxhole mentality means each person understands each other and their values to the team's concept. Our team was in disarray before Bergevin signed onto bring organization back to the Habs front office & system. Having Therrien a career coach alongside six asst. coaches, sharing the workload of rebuilding the Habs into an "Elite Stanley Cup Contending Team" each year, is doing business the most efficient way without burning your coaches out every couple of yrs. Besides having a great Team of foxhole buddies that are on the same wavelength, 24/7 workaholic GM, Marc Bergevin, doesn't age overnight, collapse before all the team building comes together, draft picks mature, young players acquired in trades are integrated into the team as he's foreseen.(Alongside with his management team, I deem the best in the NHL) Sorry Scotty but you left town and let me down!:laugh:

Finally seeing the Habs coming together as a team with all the attributes, Bergy said was his aim, they may not win it all this season. But it's going to be a very different season than last, this is a team of winners, the adversity faced last year will only intensify their resolve to be the best this season. The Habs core group is maturing into one of the best leadership groups in the NHL, definitely the best group in Montreal since the 1993/1994 season IMHO!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

This is the Montreal Canadiens team not any individual's team, when the Habs lose it's as a team not due to one member of the organization. Remember that haters just gotta hate, fans need to understand they are armchair GM's, not paid to be the best, you do it for the love of the team, as I do!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: Go Habs Go!!!...:yo::yo::yo:

:facepalm: :help:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I truly hated both systems but Martin's was an actual, full-fledged system. Therrien's is not.

In the lockout shortened season, we were a surprise for ~30 games then our peewee SwarmD was figured out and we got shellacked. Since then we've mostly played a very simple "toss the puck, toss, toss the puck" kinda deal and it's horrendous.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you look at what actually got Martin the axe, it was an absurdly ineffective stretch on the power play that sunk a team that was doing pretty well at everything else.

Which coincided precisely with Kirk Muller's departure.

I prefer the Therrien style which pressures the opponents more, but definitely miss the PP we had when Martin was Head Coach.

Since Muller is back, I am hoping he can re-boost our PP now, and we get the best of both worlds.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
I think many of you don't realize how boring and bad the JM system was, but then again were comparing him to the "Da system" from Therrien. FFS :(

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
At least JM system was effective.

In the playoffs JM was a total no show except for this year where Halak was playing like a god and once with a stacked Senator team.

People really are remembering JM with a little bit of nostalgia.

The guy was an head coach for 15 years. Missed the playoffs 5 times, went out in the 1st round 6 times, 2nd round once and semis twice.

He had the tendency to fall in love with good system guys like Dackell. His bottom 6s were always weak without leadership and character. Some players own their whole career to him.

He was a lot like MT. He had his favorites and was playing them as much as he could.

Khelios

May 19, 2016
I cant pick between the two. Jacques Martin was just as bad, if not worse than Michel Therrien. Showed absolute no emotion behind the bench and didn't really communicate well with players. Plus his "system" was just as bad to watch. But good for him, at least he was given another chance on the Penguins bench.

They weren't a puck possession team either because Gill, Gorges, etc were all at the top of the league in blocked shots.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Here's the lineup (healthy) Martin had his last year here where he lost in the first round.

Patch-Gomez-Cammalleri
AK-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-DD-Halpern
Moen-Eller-Darche

Hamrlik-Subban
Spacek-Wisniewski
Gill-Gorges

Price

Sorry but that's actually as good as last 2 years.

Seriously, go to elle you freaking liar.

Pacioretty was not there for the playoffs. He had been almost murdered by Chara. Gorges was not there either, blew his knee before the midpoint of the season. Wisniewski was playing quite hurt. And of course, you did at least leave Andrei Markov off your list.

Despite the roster problems, including missing our best forward and a top pairing defenceman, the Habs took the eventual Stanley Cup winners to a 7th game overtime on their own ice. The Bruins had more problems with the Habs than any other team they faced that year.

That's not your typical "quick loss in the first round", is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad