Which prospects impress and disappoint at Rookie and NHL camps?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
From the Leafs Game 1

Standouts:
  1. Easton Cowan - arguably the best player on the ice for either team. He will challenge for a spot. He was dominant.
  2. Fraser Minten - displayed really good two-way skills, with multiple great back checks. Also, getting 2 points and the shootout winner.
  3. Nikita Grebyonkin - kid is raw, but you can tell he’s talented. Great skater and he’s huge.
Disappointments
  1. Miroslav Holinka - He turned heads at development camp, but honestly was pretty invisible for us. Expected more.

Montreal-
Standouts - Lane Hutson, Adam Engstrom and that Larose kid
Disappointments - Mesar, Reinbacher, Farrell.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Do you guys expect him in the NHL this season or will he be in the AHL most likely since it was a strange year for him last year
Depends on his preseason. I suspect that the primary reason Anaheim kept him up last year was they couldn't send him back to the AHL and they felt it was better to have him get practice reps in the NHL before sending him back.

The thing is, last year while he didn't play that many NHL games before his extended illness/injury, in the few games he did, his improvement rate was remarkable. Every game he was making big strides with growing confidence and on ice impact.

Personally, my big concern with him missing so much time was that he'd physically fall behind and lose that form that made him look so impressive. But in this first rookie tourney game he looked, to me, to be far and away the most dynamic and involved prospect on the ice for both the Ducks and Avs by a lot. He still made some rookie mistakes like a mishandle at the blueline on an attempted finesse move that led to a breakaway against, but beyond a few mistakes it was clear that Luneau was a next level prospect with NHL experience and high potential. So I think he's going to make a very good case to stick with the Ducks this year, probably getting sheltered third pair minutes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Do you guys expect him in the NHL this season or will he be in the AHL most likely since it was a strange year for him last year
I think a lot fans want him to start in ahl, but I have a feeling org sees him in nhl day 1.

He put on some weight(good weight), during his medical absence…. So physically he looks great out there.

Personally I think he’ll give the team no choice but to put him in nhl based on his play in camp

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think a lot fans want him to start in ahl, but I have a feeling org sees him in nhl day 1.

He put on some weight(good weight), during his medical absence…. So physically he looks great out there.

Personally I think he’ll give the team no choice but to put him in nhl based on his play in camp
I'd add to both our posts that he was absolutely flying around all three zones of the ice, whether he was activating with the puck from the point to try to set up chances into the slot, attacking puck carriers in all three zones, or trying to rush the puck 200 feet by himself, his motor and skating ability actually looked better than last time we saw him. Not by a lot but it was still noticeable considering the kid probably couldn't do any cardio aside from a rowing machine for months (and even then he'd have to do it with one leg). He was everywhere.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Brzustewicz has looked excellent for the Flames so far. His offensive instincts come as advertised, but his defensive play and skating have been positive attributes so far. Has been a difference maker for the team in all but the first period of this tournament, he looks poised to make some noise in training camp even if he still plays in the AHL for most of the year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still coming from a "not guys on team(s) you watch" -

Watched some of the Vancouver prospect games and just like watching Abbottsford, Bains draws the eye with smart, energetic play. May not be great, but looks like someone who can play a depth role and offer versatility at the next level.

I think Chase Stillman is close. He's got sand in his game that should make him far, could see him being an early recall for the Devils if they have any injury issues.

(I will say I did see the Comets - the Devils farm club - probably 12 times last year, but that's just the North Division constantly being playing one another.)

Reactions: Nevins

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Still coming from a "not guys on team(s) you watch" -

Watched some of the Vancouver prospect games and just like watching Abbottsford, Bains draws the eye with smart, energetic play. May not be great, but looks like someone who can play a depth role and offer versatility at the next level.

I think Chase Stillman is close. He's got sand in his game that should make him far, could see him being an early recall for the Devils if they have any injury issues.

(I will say I did see the Comets - the Devils farm club - probably 12 times last year, but that's just the North Division constantly being playing one another.)

Bains is alright for a depth player, he reads the play about a 1/4 step behind though.

Hutson looks really dynamic, Mailloux looks ok but you can tell he still needs more development. Reinbacher looks like a calm guy on the blue line.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don’t get this commotion about Reinbacher being a bust, the kid looks good so far against Toronto
The "bust" talk is obviously just people being dramatic, but it's more that as a 19 year old top-5 pick, he should look a lot better than he does against a bunch of nobodies if he's a future top-pairing D. He's not going to flat out bust, no chance of that. But getting a middle-pairing D out of 5th overall in an incredibly strong draft would be disappointing.

Why is Gangnam Style being played in the Habs arena in 2024? The music choices so far have been... questionable.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The "bust" talk is obviously just people being dramatic, but it's more that as a 19 year old top-5 pick, he should look a lot better than he does against a bunch of nobodies if he's a future top-pairing D. He's not going to flat out bust, no chance of that. But getting a middle-pairing D out of 5th overall in an incredibly strong draft would be disappointing.

Why is Gangnam Style being played in the Habs arena in 2024? The music choices so far have been... questionable.
Just watching him I would be incredibly happy to have him. He is calm and a solid presence on the blue line. Not every player needs to be a dynamic offensive minded player. To me he’s still showing why he was drafted at 5th overall.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just watching him I would be incredibly happy to have him. He is calm and a solid presence on the blue line. Not every player needs to be a dynamic offensive minded player. To me he’s still showing why he was drafted at 5th overall.
Again, it's a player archetype that everyone would love to have. But if you take him over Michkov and Leonard, you need him to be a legit top pairing guy at least. I don't know if I see that.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Again, it's a player archetype that everyone would love to have. But if you take him over Michkov and Leonard, you need him to be a legit top pairing guy at least. I don't know if I see that.
Michkov isn’t a fair comparison though, didn’t he essentially say don’t draft me or I’ll stay in the KHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad