Which player would you take for a Game 7 winner take all?

Which player would you take for a Game 7 winner take all?

• Prime Patrick Kane

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Prime Sid Crosby

Votes: 52 22.9%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leon Draisaitl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Connor McDavid

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Nikita Kucherov

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Andrei Vasilevsky

• Mitch Marner

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Justin Williams

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Nathan MacKinnon

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Prime Patrick Roy

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Prime Dominik Hasek

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • Prime Martin Brodeur

• Prime Peter Forsberg

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Prime Evgeni Malkin

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Cale Makar

• Prime Chris Pronger

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Prime Scott Niedermayer

• Prime Nic Lidstrom

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Other (name the player)

Votes: 14 6.2%

• Total voters

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Forsberg came up in a similar "winner take all game 7" poll about a year ago. So some digging was done and he feasted early in series, but wasn't actually all that impressive for game 7s.

A few of the guys listed don't really have impressive Game Seven numbers for how good they are/were.

Matthews and Marner obviously aren't great options. Shockingly, Kucherov has never recorded a Game Seven point in his career.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Forsberg came up in a similar "winner take all game 7" poll about a year ago. So some digging was done and he feasted early in series, but wasn't actually all that impressive for game 7s.
I think people aren't actually thinking through the whole question here as it's asking which player would you want for a game 7 winner take all situation in the future not just rehashing what any one player did in a past game 7 with different variables.

To my mind you take the best players who can drive play and make an impact in all facets of the game otherwise one would simply look back at past games 7 performances and declare the winner but that would be a different question.

A few of the guys listed don't really have impressive Game Seven numbers for how good they are/were.

Matthews and Marner obviously aren't great options. Shockingly, Kucherov has never recorded a Game Seven point in his career.
TY for reinforcing my point on how people are viewing this question.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gimme Carey Price in a game 7

For a single winner take all game, I really like the Carey Price option if we're picking a goalie. His record is incredible in game 7s too:

3-1
1.47 GAA, 950 sv%, and unlike almost every other top goalie he always did it on an underdog team.

It's a bit of a homer vote - but if I'm picking a goalie for one game, I'm tempted to take him above Roy/Hasek. I'd pick Roy before for a full series or a full playoff run, but for just 1 game Carey Price is an attractive choice.

Reactions: David Suzuki

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
For a single winner take all game, I really like the Carey Price option if we're picking a goalie. His record is incredible in game 7s too:

3-1
1.47 GAA, 950 sv%, and unlike almost every other top goalie he always did it on an underdog team.

It's a bit of a homer vote - but if I'm picking a goalie for one game, I'm tempted to take him above Roy/Hasek. I'd pick Roy before for a full series or a full playoff run, but for just 1 game Carey Price is an attractive choice.

Yeah I agree.

Full playoff? Gimme Roy. Full season? Gimme Hasek. But for one game 7 hard to do better than Price.

Reactions: bobholly39

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think people aren't actually thinking through the whole question here as it's asking which player would you want for a game 7 winner take all situation in the future not just rehashing what any one player did in a past game 7 with different variables.

To my mind you take the best players who can drive play and make an impact in all facets of the game otherwise one would simply look back at past games 7 performances and declare the winner but that would be a different question.

TY for reinforcing my point on how people are viewing this question.
Well for one, for any future game 7 I'm not taking anyone retired.

Also it's a bit weird to be weird about people looking at past game 7 performances for a question specifically asking about a hypothetical game 7. What different question did you think was meant to be asked by the question, and I quote: "Which player would you take for a Game 7 winner take all?" Should people be looking at game 3s instead?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well for one, for any future game 7 I'm not taking anyone retired.

I'm in between day and night shift so I'll rephrase it's for a hypothetical game 7 in that players peak, prime one would think?
Also it's a bit weird to be weird about people looking at past game 7 performances for a question specifically asking about a hypothetical game 7. What different question did you think was meant to be asked by the question, and I quote: "Which player would you take for a Game 7 winner take all?" Should people be looking at game 3s instead?
Yes people should be looking at how all these guys perform in all playoff games as the actual game 7 is such a small sample size and the in a vacuum as those past games aren't being recreated here.

You take the best overall impact players in their peak to come to this decision, at least that's the way ai look at it.

Others will look up past stats and then take the safe pick but either way no one knows do they?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm in between day and night shift so I'll rephrase it's for a hypothetical game 7 in that players peak, prime one would think?

Yes people should be looking at how all these guys perform in all playoff games as the actual game 7 is such a small sample size and the in a vacuum as those past games aren't being recreated here.

You take the best overall impact players in their peak to come to this decision, at least that's the way ai look at it.

Others will look up past stats and then take the safe pick but either way no one knows do they?
If someone says "I'm taking player X for a hypothetical game 7 because he's awesome and would totally dominate." And said player X has an actual history of game 7s and while ok was significantly short of truly dominant in a losing record, you sort of do know, yes.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
#99 of course but of the listed options Hasek/Roy simply because a goalie can steal a game totally alone and id trust them to be atleast competitive with the opposite goalie even on a off day.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
A lesser player could have better stats or performances in game 7s but its such a small sample size that I dont think matters much compared to the significantly larger sample size of career postseason and regular season play.

If you were to have all these players play a dozen game 7s, eventually the best players come out on top.

Imo this is between McDavid, Crosby, Roy and Hasek of the options listed. 2 of the best centers outside the big 4 and 2 of the best goalies of all time. I'd probably go with one of the goalies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If someone says "I'm taking player X for a hypothetical game 7 because he's awesome and would totally dominate." And said player X has an actual history of game 7s and while ok was significantly short of truly dominant in a losing record, you sort of do know, yes.
No you actually don't and personally I wouldn't use a small sample size in specific past games to take a lesser player over a better player with more impact overall in a vacuum.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No you actually don't and personally I would use a small sample size in specific past games to take a lesser player over a better player with more impact overall in a vacuum.
While a semi-logical viewpoint. In picking Forsberg you are taking a lesser player with a lesser track record but a superior "aura" over many better players with better records available.

In full disclosure the previous thread like this pitted Forsberg vs Fedorov for a game 7. And it was a chorus of Forsberg votes. Completely disregarding that 1. Fedorov isn't a worse player and 2. Has a better game 7 record.

It's all based on feels making the vast majority of these polls nothing more than popularity contests. And posters then cry foul when asked to actually justify the vote.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
While a semi-logical viewpoint. In picking Forsberg you are taking a lesser player with a lesser track record but a superior "aura" over many better players with better records available.

In full disclosure the previous thread like this pitted Forsberg vs Fedorov for a game 7. And it was a chorus of Forsberg votes. Completely disregarding that 1. Fedorov isn't a worse player and 2. Has a better game 7 record.
Forsberg and foppa don't have a lot of separation here (they are both under appreciated compared to their team mates Yzerman and Sakic as far as playoffs go) but I'll digress using players game 7's and in their context doesn't eman as much as some people portray here as the question is in a vacuum and I would defer to the larger overall sample size in their peaks/primes.

It's all based on feels making the vast majority of these polls nothing more than popularity contests.
Sure I agree here

And posters then cry foul when asked to actually justify the vote.
The thing is simply looking at game 7 performances isn't as instructive as some people are making out either.

To me this is a question asking who would you take in any situation for a potential game that didn't actually happen and the answer for me is the best playoff performer overall in their peak/prime and that's why I'd consider Foppa, Crosby heck a half dozen position players and how in the world does Justin Williams have 3 votes?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Forsberg and foppa don't have a lot of separation here (they are both under appreciated compared to their team mates Yzerman and Sakic as far as playoffs go) but I'll digress using players game 7's and in their context doesn't eman as much as some people portray here as the question is in a vacuum and I would defer to the larger overall sample size in their peaks/primes.

Sure I agree here

The thing is simply looking at game 7 performances isn't as instructive as some people are making out either.

To me this is a question asking who would you take in any situation for a potential game that didn't actually happen and the answer for me is the best playoff performer overall in their peak/prime and that's why I'd consider Foppa, Crosby heck a half dozen position players and how in the world does Justin Williams have 3 votes?
Even if there is a body of evidence that in the situation in question, game 7s, the best playoff performer didn't perform at his best?

That's just sticking your head in the sand and willfully ignoring evidence to justify an agenda.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Even if there is a body of evidence that in the situation in question, game 7s, the best playoff performer didn't perform at his best?
Exactly how large is this body of evidence (game 7's?) as compared to the body of evidence for the playoffs for any of these guys in peak/prime?

That's just sticking your head in the sand and willfully ignoring evidence to justify an agenda.
No looking at only games 7s is somewhat akin to looking at any regular season set of say 10 games and declaring John Hughes the Art Ross winner last year.

Here is the last for all time game 7 playoff points and notice they are in exact order of greatness....well not really.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Exactly how large is this body of evidence (game 7's?) as compared to the body of evidence for the playoffs for any of these guys in peak/prime?

No looking at only games 7s is somewhat akin to looking at any regular season set of say 10 games and declaring John Hughes the Art Ross winner last year.

Here is the last for all time game 7 playoff points and notice they are in exact order of greatness....well not really.

If you have two similarly effective players and one has a noticable dip for game 7s and the other doesn't, why ignore that data set on the hopes that a future game 7 would go differently?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

It's all based on feels making the vast majority of these polls nothing more than popularity contests. And posters then cry foul when asked to actually justify the vote.
Fedorov is a very clearly worse player, I wouldn't have to think twice about it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you have two similarly effective players and one has a noticable dip for game 7s and the other doesn't, why ignore that data set on the hopes that a future game 7 would go differently?
There are only 13 guys (position) with 10+ game 7s in the playoffs so I'll still take the larger data set as a better point of reference.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Have you actually looked at the game 7 scoring stats I posted?

There is almost zero correlation between best players in the playoffs and best scorers in game 7s.
There are some really good players on that list. If I'm being asked to pick someone for a pivotal game 7, I'm much more inclined to take a great player that's on the list vs a great player that doesn't even make it.

Again, utilizing available data rather than ignoring it as it's inconvenient...

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
How are people taking Hasek over Roy in the playoffs? Roy is the best playoff goalie of all time. He singlehandedly dragged that 1993 Habs team to a cup.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
How are people taking Hasek over Roy in the playoffs? Roy is the best playoff goalie of all time. He singlehandedly dragged that 1993 Habs team to a cup.

Because Hasek is the single best goalie of all time. And also amazing in the playoffs / olympics etc. No disrespect to St. Patrick but imo the Dominator is in a league of his own

Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad