Which of these players come in at >9m AAV on their next contract?

Pick which players you think make 9m AAV or more on their next contract. [ignore bridge deals]

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
EP
Point (obvious, he's on a bridge deal, next one will be worth more)
Makar/Heisk. Both look great, could see both singing long term for big amounts
Laine (like Point - he's on a bridge deal. He'll get 9+ next deal)

I think Barzal gets less. Maybe in the 8s.
Shesterkin - it's not impossible he does 9+ if he wins vezina or something like that, but seems way too soon. Maybe if he was worthy of the hype and his contract was due in 23, or even 22 - but by 21 seems unlikely.
Svech I could see doing slightly below 9M$ too.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I don't see any of the defensemen coming in at 9+, considering only 3 D in the NHL make 9 or more right now, and they're all bad contracts. D simply don't make as much as forwards.

For the Forwards, the only ones I can see getting 9+ are Barzal and Pettersson.

Point isn't going to make more than Stamkos, and Kucherov deserved his contract a lot more.

Laine has done nothing to prove he's worth $2 million more than Connor.

Svechnikov most likely isn't able to argue that he deserves $500,000 more than Aho does.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't see any of the defensemen coming in at 9+, considering only 3 D in the NHL make 9 or more right now, and they're all bad contracts. D simply don't make as much as forwards.

Point isn't going to make more than Stamkos, and Kucherov deserved his contract a lot more.

Svechnikov most likely isn't able to argue that he deserves $500,000 more than Aho does.

You sound like a GM.

Think more like an agent. And then meet in the middle, and you'll have a better response. An agent will say...

Skinner got 9M$. Svech/Laine produce more, younger and better - they deserve more.
Matthews got 11.6M$. Point is close on offense, better on defense, deserves similar price.
Heisk/Makar will say: Doughty/Karlsson are getting 11M$+ both of them are even better then they were younger, and already better than them today - and should get close to 11M$ too.

For every good comparable there's a bad one available.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
It’s strange to go into one thread and see people saying McAvoy is one of the best players in the league and then come here and see him making less than many D in his tier despite taking a bridge.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Josi ain’t a bad contract.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I would answer none if there was the option. I think that this whole Covid situation is a real eye opener for both players and owners, and both will be willing to give up a little for long term security. I think with the odd exception, salaries will trend down for a few years.

Reactions: bukwas

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s strange to go into one thread and see people saying McAvoy is one of the best players in the league and then come here and see him making less than many D in his tier despite taking a bridge.

Defencemen have it much tougher when it comes to financially evaluating their performance using metrics.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I would answer none if there was the option. I think that this whole Covid situation is a real eye opener for both players and owners, and both will be willing to give up a little for long term security. I think with the odd exception, salaries will trend down for a few years.
I think this year will be a tough one to negotiate for big money. If normality returns( i personally don't like it's chances) following this season then their shouldn't be major issues on being paid the going rate.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You sound like a GM.

Think more like an agent. And then meet in the middle, and you'll have a better response. An agent will say...

Skinner got 9M$. Svech/Laine produce more, younger and better - they deserve more.
Matthews got 11.6M$. Point is close on offense, better on defense, deserves similar price.
Heisk/Makar will say: Doughty/Karlsson are getting 11M$+ both of them are even better then they were younger, and already better than them today - and should get close to 11M$ too.

Well 9m is fairly large if there is a cap contraction. I get that the agent doesnt care about escrow but we'll see. Laine seems like he will play hardball and I dont know if his relationship with Chevy or some of the leaders is that great in the Peg. I see him getting about 9, so I voted for him. I have svech just under, along with Barzal.

Benning seems like an idiot and will probably give Pettersson what ever he wants. Not to say he isn't worth 9m, but hes the one I'd be most sure about going over 9m with. Point also...Brisebois isnt Stevie Y and I'm not convinced he will keep the team friendly deals coming, especially given that Point is currently being robbed on his contract.

Looking at the GMs negotiating the deals, I guess I have more faith in Lou and Carolina to not instantly cave to their star players. If I had to pick one to be most likely wrong, I'd say Barzal, I'm the least sure of him getting under 9.

Only D I'd see getting over is Charlie Mc. But it's hard for D to get that much so I didnt take any of them. Seeing makar that high up, yikes...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
All the d-men for sure, RFA defensemen simply don't get 9 per year. They may sign for 7 or 8 to get them to UFA, but I doubt any will be getting 9 million right after their ELCs.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
You sound like a GM.

That would be a good point if those players were to hit free agency. Since these guys have comparables on their own team who have recently signed new contracts, that is more likely to be the benchmark for their signings.

But I guess you never know.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Josi ain’t a bad contract.
Should have mentioned that I was looking at cap hits from this season (Josi's kicks in next year).

But you're absolutely right, Josi's is a good contract. But he's also better than those other D, and was a UFA and had more signing power, and still only came in at 9

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I picked all except Barzal, Point and Shestyorkin. Barzal’s salary will be impacted by COVID causing a flat cap and the lack of cap space for the Islanders. I don’t see an offer sheet coming. I think he settles for a little less. Point has already rejected an offer sheet, so we know he’ll give Tampa a good deal, and they always get discounts due to no state income tax. Shestyorkin will probably get 9M at some point, but I doubt he gets it after one year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With the flat cap it could plausibly be none of them. I voted Makar and Pettersson though. Those are the real superstars on this list. Point is one of the best but he'll give a team discount at $8m-$9m.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't see any of the D getting that much. The precedent just isn't there for that. The only D in the league who make that kind of money got it on UFA deals (after accomplishing a heck of a lot more in their careers than any of these guys will be able to match on their ELCs).

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I don't see any of the D getting that much. The precedent just isn't there for that. The only D in the league who make that kind of money got it on UFA deals (after accomplishing a heck of a lot more in their careers than any of these guys will be able to match on their ELCs).

I agree with you in principle, but remember that the year is beside the name and a few are a ways out. If Makr lives up to the hype and is in the Norris convo and the Avs win a cup, I could see him asking for around 9 if there's lot of term.

McAvoy will be coming off a bridge where he's only making around 5 million to play top pairing minutes. Most here saw that as a team friendly deal, so I could see him recouping some of that on his next deal.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Pettersson will probably ask for the Eichel deal if we're talking long term. If Vancouver can get him signed to an 8 year deal for around 9m they will probably jump at it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm gonna say only Pettersson does. Can't see any of the dmen getting there especially that's a lot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad