Which of these Finns will make it to HHOF

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Makes it to HHOF

• Alexander Barkov

Votes: 64 94.1%
  • Mikko Rantanen

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Miro Heiskanen

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Juuse Saros

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Sebastian Aho

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
From most to least likely.

1. Barkov
2. Rantanen
3. Heiskanen
4. Saros
5. Aho.

Barkov and Rantanen are already on track. Saros and Heiskanen also to a lesser degree, but they need to do more work since their positions have harder standards.

I don't see Aho making it though.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Likely to make it: Barkov
On track to make it: Rantanen, Saros
Potential to be on track: Heiskanen
Unlikely: Aho

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

1. Barkov
2. Rantanen
3. Heiskanen
4. Saros
5. Aho.

Barkov and Rantanen are already on track. Saros and Heiskanen also to a lesser degree, but they need to do more work since their positions have harder standards.

Barkov is a lock basically already

1x Cup ( and as a C)
2x Selkes’s

On track for well over 1000 points

I agree with Rantanen for now looking like the next likely second with a Stanley Cup and he’ll end up with enough points

But I think Heiskanen will have a serious chance to get in, if he’s Dallas’s franchise Dman for 15 years and is valued like Josi

Neither Saros or Aho will make it

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Barkov is a lock basically already

1x Cup ( and as a C)
2x Selkes’s

On track for well over 1000 points

I agree with Rantanen for now looking like the next likely second with a Stanley Cup and he’ll end up with enough points
Agreed. He's basically on a Kopitar trajectory, and Kopi is 100% a lock.

But I think Heiskanen will have a serious chance to get in, if he’s Dallas’s franchise Dman for 15 years and is valued like Josi

I think Heiskanen can make it, but I can also see him being the Ryan Suter of this generation. Vastly underappreciated, gets Norris votes but never enough to be a finalist.
Neither Saros or Aho will make it
I think you're underrating Saros though. He's still relatively young, and has been one of the best goaltenders for most of this decade. Leads all active goalies in sv%, and 4 times finished top 10 in sv%

He needs to do more to get in obviously, but he's on the right track. Just needs more seasons like his 2020-2023 years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed. He's basically on a Kopitar trajectory, and Kopi is 100% a lock.

I think Heiskanen can make it, but I can also see him being the Ryan Suter of this generation. Vastly underappreciated, gets Norris votes but never enough to be a finalist.

I think you're underrating Saros though. He's still relatively young, and has been one of the best goaltenders for most of this decade. Leads all active goalies in sv%, and 4 times finished top 10 in sv%

He needs to do more to get in obviously, but he's on the right track. Just needs more seasons like his 2020-2023 years.

I’m not underrating Saros at all, love the guy. But for goalies it’s about impossible to get in. Even Rask is not getting there

The end of the career will really determine Heiskanen, can he stay in his prime for long enough or does he hit rock bottom like Suter

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Barkov almost for sure makes it. Not "if he retires today", but probably getting close. Short of falling off a cliff, he'll definitely make it.

Rantanen is definitely on track. Super strong prime. He's never going to be wining Harts, Rosses or Smythes likely - but he's a fantastic 1B or 2A to MacKinnon, great in playoffs, etc. He still only has 617 total career points though - so with no awards to speak of, he's going to have to age well and be consistent for a while. I say he does.

Heiskanen - I'm not sure he's ever going to win a Norris. Other trophies even less likely (smythe, hart, etc). But I see him as the type to be in the norris race most years, just maybe never winning one. A bit like Shea Weber for a Norris record. He's young an started young, and is the type of player likely to age well I think. So I think good chance he makes it.

Saros - Nope. I actually like him a lot as a goalie, and I think he's gotten the short end of the stick in vezina voting at least twice so far. Problem is he's already 28 with no Vezinas yet, and the bar for goalies to make it is quite high. He'd need 2 vezinas, or maybe 1 vezina + 1 smythe and a lot of longevity on top of that. It's possible, but I think it's more likely no then yes.

Aho - Nope. Hall of very good maybe. Only way he makes it is if he ends up with 2 smythes somehow and strong longevity, because his prime is really good, but simply not good enough for hall of fame, so he'd need something more.

I voted for Barkov, Rantanen & Heiskanen

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Barkov is in 100%. Cup and 2-time Selke winner along with his projected career numbers will get him in for sure.

Rantanen will have to stay healthy to have the career numbers so combined with the Cup he has a chance, but an individual trophy would boost his chances significantly. The only regular season trophy he can realistically win is the Rocket. Tough but not completely impossible, he did score 55 goals 2 years ago.

Heiskanen can make it but he's up against tough competition for the Norris, the Cup is always hard to win and internationally Finland isn't one of the favorites in any of the best on best tournaments. He might lack the hardware.

Aho needs like a Cup + Smythe type of playoff run, because he's likely not going to win any regular season individual awards. I see him being very consistent throughout his career so even without eye-popping seasons, he can get to a 1000 pts, so combined with a great playoff run I could see it.

Saros needs to win stuff and it probably comes down to a short window and the next few years as the Preds core is aging.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Good poll. I think Barkov will definitely make it and Rantanen, Saros and Heiskanen are trending toward induction.

I don't see Aho getting in. He's very good but doesn't quite compare to the absolute best centres in the League. I don't see him ever winning a Hart or scoring title or coming all that close. If we're making comparisons to retired players, I guess he's kind of the present day Brind'Amour (although he's better).

Reactions: heksagon

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

1. Barkov
2. Rantanen
3. Heiskanen
4. Saros
5. Aho.

This is how I see them although Rantanen is further along the "winger" route and Heiskanen is tracking well.

Saros and Aho need quite a bit still.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
If Rantanen makes the Hall of fame he should do a "Paul Kariya" and thank his better teammates for carrying him into the Hall of fame. @Murzu better make sure Rantanen mentions that he would've never made the hall of fame without MacKinnon and Makar in his Hall of fame speech.

And why the hell is everybody so low on Aho. He's the only guy doing all the heavy lifting himself on his team. 254 goals and 557 points so far and he's about to turn just 27. Easily has another 12-15 years of hockey left to play and will end up with no less than 1300 points. There's even a chance he'll break Selanne's career goal record for Finnish players when it's all said and done.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If Rantanen makes the Hall of fame he should do a "Paul Kariya" and thank his better teammates for carrying him into the Hall of fame. @Murzu better make sure Rantanen mentions that he would've never made the hall of fame without MacKinnon and Makar in his Hall of fame speech.

And why the hell is everybody so low on Aho. He's the only guy doing all the heavy lifting himself on his team. 254 goals and 557 points so far and he's about to turn just 27. Easily has another 12-15 years of hockey left to play and will end up with no less than 1300 points. There's even a chance he'll break Selanne's career goal record for Finnish players when it's all said and done.

We have the speech already written, thank you very much.

I love @Mulletman

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Politely…Why Rantanen?

12th in scoring, 8th in goals since he came into the league. He’s 4th in playoff PPG but I’m not sure if that’s enough for the Hall.

Barkov is most likely a lock. Heiskanen plays like a HoF talent but he’s got to win at least a Norris and a Cup or 2x Norris to move the needle.

Barkov is my vote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad