Which of these 5 deserves HHOF Induction

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't think any of them really "deserves" HHOF induction. Naslund was the best player of that group and has the best career.

But he's like Lecavalier in that his peak is clearly at a HOF level but his prime isn't long or good enough. A thread for players like this might be a good idea. There are some others. Some might say LaFontaine, though he was inducted already.

Edit: I think Mogilny is a great example of such a player.

Reactions: Felidae

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Markus Naslund
Charlie Simmer
Tim Kerr
Rick Martin
Dave Taylor
None.

Rick Martin might have made it but his career was way too short, which is the same thought I have for Tim Kerr, these are your only "Hall of Very Good" players in your list. Martin's 2 1st team and 2 2nd team makes an argument but it's not enough when you only play 680+ games. Simmer was way too injury riddled but he never did anything outstanding, he played in the high scoring eras but his stats still lack (considering). Taylor doesn't move the the needle for me at all much like Naslund and I can't think of one argument for the Hall for either of them.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Naslund has a 4 years windows of HHOF level play but

OIP.AKD6Xd0FNb-qO9Py9JnLBwHaFj

LeClair played like an HHOF for 6, just before Naslund, both were on famous line, LeClair at least had some legendary moment in 93 and made the finals in 97, both are 400 goals-850 pts type without that 500-1000 type of mark they would love.

I am not sure if Naslund is cleanly above LeClair among voters. Naslund peak higher, he could smell that Ross and Hart slip away the last game, but was not elite long, did not win anything or ever got close.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Rick Martin should 100% get in seeing as Bill Barber and Steve Shutt, two of his contemporaries, are. He was arguably just as good as the both of them playing on a. less talented team.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I'm not saying I'd put him in the Hall, because he comes up short on longevity, but Charlie Simmer's numbers for '80 and '81 are impressive. 112 goals in 129 games. I'd be shocked if anyone scored at that rate over a two-season span, and isn't in the Hall.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Damn, what was up with Charlie Simmer those 2 years? Hovered around a 1.60 PPG and a 0.86 GPG, then never really came close to those numbers. Marcel Dionne and Dave Taylor were still on the team after those years and quite productive.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm not saying I'd put him in the Hall, because he comes up short on longevity, but Charlie Simmer's numbers for '80 and '81 are impressive. 112 goals in 129 games. I'd be shocked if anyone scored at that rate over a two-season span, and isn't in the Hall.
See Bernie Nicholls' 1988-89 and 1989-90.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe we should just open up a Puckdoku wing of fondly remembered players?

At the rate of dilution the HHOF is going to be worth less than a complete set of Pro Set cards from 1990-91.

Reactions: barbu

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Naslund has a 4 years windows of HHOF level play but

OIP.AKD6Xd0FNb-qO9Py9JnLBwHaFj

LeClair played like an HHOF for 6, just before Naslund, both were on famous line, had some legendary moment in 93 and made the finals in 97, both are 400 goals-850 pts type without that 500-1000 type of mark they would love.

I am not sure if Naslund is cleanly above LeClair among voters. Naslund peak higher, he could smell that Ross and Hart slip away the last game, but was not elite long, did not win anything or ever got close.

i feel like even saying a four year window of HHOF play is a bit of a stretch

two years absolutely. 2002 and 2003 are up there with the majority of hall of fame peaks.

but in a hall of fame prime, even if your two best years are as good as 2002 and 2003, 2001 and 2004 should really be your fifth or sixth best year, even if you have standard hall of fame longevity and a solid playoff record. if they are your third and fourth best year, you better have a buttload of longevity and counting stats and be a legendary playoff performer.

All of them are better than Phil Housley.

honestly i think naslund is about the same

higher peak, much shorter prime and way less longevity

same nonexistent playoff record, same total lack of intangibles and all round game

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
See Bernie Nicholls' 1988-89 and 1989-90.

With turgeon and roenick getting in recently, I think Nicholls is now the all time leading scorer out of the retired non hhof players.

I know the line has to be drawn somewhere with respect to hall of fame credentials, and maybe we have reached that point now.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York

Simmer was also breaking NHL records during those couple of seasons. If not mistaken, he was the first left-winger ever to have consecutive 100-pt. seasons, and he was the first player ever to score a goal in 13 consecutive games.

It’s too bad that he got bogged down with injuries (e.g. broken leg) and that his success didn’t carry further into the ‘80s.

I’d say that, while Simmer isn’t a strong candidate for the Hall, the Triple Crown Line that he was on, as a collective unit, was a HoF line. (Not relevant, but I’d also say that his wife at the time was a HoF’er in her own right! 😄)

Attachments

• IMG_8543.jpeg
    IMG_8543.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Not a popular opinion but, I think Simmer was the best of this group.

Could do so much without any foot speed. Too many injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad