Which NHL rebuilds are the closest to the Stanley Cup ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which teams rebuilds are the closest to the Stanley Cup ?

• Anaheim

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicago

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Columbus

• Detroit

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Montreal

• San Jose

• Calgary

• St Louis

• Philadelphia

• Minnesota

• Pittsburg

• Seattle

• Utah

• New Jersey

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Ottawa

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Corey Pronman had a article in the Athletic that will no doubt upset fans bases (Montreal ,Detroit ,and other's) He had
Chicago #1 Ottawa#2 Anaheim#3 San Jose #4 NewJersey#5 Utah #6 Buffalo#7 Seattle#8 Montreal#9 Minnesota#10 Columbus #11 Detroit #12 Philadelphia #13 St Louis #14 Calgary #15 Pittsburg#16 Pronman takes into consideration Impact players that can carry a Team , how many more high picks Teams will get in the next few years as well.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Corey Pronman had a article in the Athletic that will no doubt upset fans bases (Montreal ,Detroit ,and other's) He had
Chicago #1 Ottawa#2 Anaheim#3 San Jose #4 NewJersey#5 Utah #6 Buffalo#7 Seattle#8 Montreal#9 Minnesota#10 Columbus #11 Detroit #12 Philadelphia #13 St Louis #14 Calgary #15 Pittsburg#16
Why would anyone care. He is an idiot and proves it with articles like the above. If it is the closest San Jose, Chicago and Anaheim are nowhere near contention New Jersey, Buffalo, Utah and Montreal are the closest to contention.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know this forum loves to shit on Pronman for anything, but his article was about "whose rebuild is most likely to result in a Stanley Cup", not "which team will contend for a Cup the soonest".

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s easily New Jersey, right?
Yup. Not even close. They have the needed elite talent to win a Cup. Not seeing that on a lot of those other clubs.

I know this forum loves to shit on Pronman for anything, but his article was about "whose rebuild is most likely to result in a Stanley Cup", not "which team will contend for a Cup the soonest".
Cups are won by the star players. Jersey has that. Not seeing it on Pronman’s other higher listed clubs.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
The article (behind a pay wall) is considering Teams that have the best shot to win a Stanley Cup in the next 10 years

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yup. Not even close. They have the needed elite talent to win a Cup. Not seeing that on a lot of those other clubs.

Cups are won by the star players. Jersey has that. Not seeing it on Pronman’s other higher listed clubs.
Completely agree that NJ was way too low on Pronman's list, but that doesn't change that the OP made a thinly-veiled Pronman-bashing thread on a false premise.

Specifically, Pronman's list takes into consideration that teams like SJ and Chicago still have a couple more years of picking top-5 to accumulate star talent.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Completely agree that NJ was way too low on Pronman's list, but that doesn't change that the OP made a thinly-veiled Pronman-bashing thread on a false premise.

Specifically, Pronman's list takes into consideration that teams like SJ and Chicago still have a couple more years of picking top-5 to accumulate star talent.
True enough, but do those clubs have Cup level stars yet and are there those kinds of guys upcoming in the next couple drafts? Drafting top five is only important to building a Cup winner if the prospects in the top of those drafts are elite.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021

I love what Devils have going forward but they are missing a future #1 goalie and grit and size . All these teams have holes to fill but some holes are tougher to fill than others .

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I love what Devils have going forward but they are missing a future #1 goalie and grit and size . All these teams have holes to fill but some holes are tougher to fill than others .
Devils have Markstrom. Grit is a lot easier to acquire than elite skill. Devils have elite skill. The other clubs high on list aren’t close to what Jersey has.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
True enough, but do those clubs have Cup level stars yet and are there those kinds of guys upcoming in the next couple drafts? Drafting top five is only important to building a Cup winner if the prospects in the top of those drafts are elite.
I mean, SJ and Chicago both have a guy who is a future Jack Hughes level player.

I do really love what NJ has built and I would be thrilled if my team's rebuild proceeded similarly. That said, there are a few questions about them that you could ding them for if you wanted. For example, their center situation is pretty dicey; Hughes may be better suited to wing and Mercer definitely is, so Hischier is their only true top-6 centermen they have. They don't have a lot of size up front, with 6'1" Meier their biggest long-term piece at forward. L. Hughes, Nemec, and Silayev have huge potential but until they've actually fulfilled that potential you can't take it for granted. The goaltending situation is in question. And they have a lot of important pieces with extensive injury histories.

I'm not saying that all of those are serious concerns or problems, but if someone weren't a believer in the Devils winning a Cup with their current core than those would be the things to point to.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Devils have Markstrom. Grit is a lot easier to acquire than elite skill. Devils have elite skill. The other clubs high on list aren’t close to what Jersey has.
The Devils roster is more mature than Blackhawks and Sharks but are they as deep with prospects ? San Jose will be picking top 5 at least 2 more years and the Blackhawks will be picking top 10 with extra 1st rders .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad