Which listed player would you want for their whole career?

Which listed player would you want for their whole career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just on a personal basis, for fun, I probably go Jagr, but Sid is the best choice to build around.

Reactions: wetcoast

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
For me, this is clearly Bourque.

At this point im a broken record repeating his accomplishments, but it deserves to be pointed out again.

In his 22 year career he..

never finished lower than 7th in Norris voting. Including 4 seasons where he finished just short of being a Norris finalist.

Was a Norris finalist 15 times, including 6 2nd place finishes and 5 wins.

His elite longevity is the best in his position and only surpassed by Howe.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
For me, this is clearly Bourque.

At this point im a broken record repeating his accomplishments, but it deserves to be pointed out again.

In his 22 year career he..

never finished lower than 7th in Norris voting. Including 4 seasons where he finished just short of being a Norris finalist.

Was a Norris finalist 15 times, including 6 2nd place finishes and 5 wins.

His elite longevity is the best in his position and only surpassed by Howe.
Yeah, I have Crosby as the slightly better player overall, but in terms of career value? Bourque's the Gordie Howe of defenceman.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Le Croz.

I'm assuming that means i'm still getting the little hiccups with his concussions problems in the middle there somewhere. But on the whole, his peak was exceptionally high, and he played at that level for a very long time. He rose quickly to the top of the league in his early years...and he's hung on remarkably well into his golden years by really adapting his game as he slows down a bit.

That also means i have to put up with his kind of embarrassing early "whiner" days i guess. Before he matured a bunch. But easier to put up with when it's on your team. Also worth it. Most super talented young "generational" players tend to come into the league with a bit of that attitude to them anyway.

Lidstrom is an interesting choice for how elite he was in his longevity in the later years. But it took him a lot longer to really "arrive" on the same level.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Lidstrom for me. Maybe not the smartest choice but I think watching him for 15-20 years would be the most enjoyable

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Crosby. The only one I would consider otherwise is Bourque. Thats close. I just like Sids attitude. Guy is a winner.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Lidstrom may not be the best choice but I went with him. Stabilizing your 1D position for 15 years with one of the most effective and efficient guys to ever do it sounds real, real nice. Basically a 60+ point, great in all 3 zones, shutdown machine of a Dman. Yes please.

SEVEN Norris wins, six top-5 finishes, 4 finishes in the 6-8 range. Guy was just incredible for 15+ years across multiple eras where the game changed a ton.

Reactions: wetcoast

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ray for me a Norris candidate every season for 20 plus is crazy. He was always healthy and a rock every year both directions !

Edit worst he was 7th in Norris 4 times and every other season top 4 and won 5. Guy played 23 seasons nuts at that level.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lidstrom may not be the best choice but I went with him. Stabilizing your 1D position for 15 years with one of the most effective and efficient guys to ever do it sounds real, real nice. Basically a 60+ point, great in all 3 zones, shutdown machine of a Dman. Yes please.

SEVEN Norris wins, six top-5 finishes, 4 finishes in the 6-8 range. Guy was just incredible for 15+ years across multiple eras where the game changed a ton.

Wouldn't you be better off doing the same with Bourque for 22 years?

Bourque or Jagr

Jagr is somewhat of an underrated choice, at 44 he finished 22nd in points and lead his team in scoring.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Wouldn't you be better off doing the same with Bourque for 22 years?

Jagr is somewhat of an underrated choice, at 44 he finished 22nd in points and lead his team in scoring.
I never saw Bourque play so I can’t speak to his talents. I’m sure he’s one of the best but I’ll stick with Lidstrom

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
dont think there is a wrong choice here. Sid is the logical choice based off his career but as someone else said do you get the injuries too. Im bias and took Ovi just from the angle of I believe the Caps had a lot of wasted potential years with terrible management. The 06-12 Caps didnt have goaltending and they really didnt have a D core until 2010. Post 2020 they went back to not having goaltending and old John Carlson as their D core. Same could be said for Sid after 2016 tho. Lot of winning is the team you end up on and how they manage it. If you look at the Wings in the Lidstrom era and how they were dominant for 15 -20 years, imagine Sid or Ovi on a team like that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Tempted to go with Bourque (or Lidas, who is basically equally good choise). But at the end of the day, I will take Crosby.

I feel that overall Crosby impacts franchise just a tiny bit more that Bourque or Lidstrom.

I briefly considered Messier, but vomited on my couch, so I didn't pick him.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Lmao Bourque is the reason those teams even made the finals.

Let's not forget he lost to the dynasty Oilers and not some run of the mill team.
In 1990 Gretzky and Coffey were gone, Fuhr injured. Definitely not an unbeatable machine either. The Bruins were Presidents' Trophy winners, yet lost in five without offering much of a challenge. But more than failing to overcome adversity any one year, in two decades Bourque's Bruins never found an extra gear in the playoffs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tempted to go with Bourque (or Lidas, who is basically equally good choise). But at the end of the day, I will take Crosby.

I feel that overall Crosby impacts franchise just a tiny bit more that Bourque or Lidstrom.

Agree here
I briefly considered Messier, but vomited on my couch, so I didn't pick him.
Moose is a distant last place here for me in a vacuum.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In 1990 Gretzky and Coffey were gone, Fuhr injured. Definitely not an unbeatable machine either. The Bruins were Presidents' Trophy winners, yet lost in five without offering much of a challenge. But more than failing to overcome adversity any one year, in two decades Bourque's Bruins never found an extra gear in the playoffs.

Furhs replacement just so happened to be a very good goalie in his own right, winning the Conn Smythe (and he wasn't a one hit wonder either; Ranford was money at the 91 Canada Cup too). The Oilers had 5 players score 60+ points vs the Bruins 3. The Oilers top 3 forwards were Messier, Kurt & Anderson which is a lot better than Cam Neely, Craig Janney & Bobby Carpenter.

Edmonton might've not been an unbeatable machine and playing without Gretzky & Coffey, but they were still a formidable opponent. After going the distance in round one, they went 12-3 the rest of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad