Which is better

catbellysqueezer

Dec 26, 2015
I can't make polls yet, but I wanted to ask, which do you guys think is better right now AND in a few years:

A) Couturier's defensive/shutdown ability

Or

B) Gostisbehere's offensive/opportunity-generating ability

Discuss, or delete this thread if it sucks. Thanks!

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I think it is a now vs then question

Right now, its Ghosts offensive ability. Down the road it can be completely opposite.

We havent had much of an offensive dynamo in a long time besides Streit who is offensively gifted but not the dynamics Ghost brings.

We have other 2 way fowards that while not on the level of Coots serve that role.

So as of now i think Ghosts offensive ability outweights Coots defensive poweress. But in 2 or 3 years when we add 2-3 more of our big 5 dmen, Ghosts offensive skills become less of a team requirement as we have others doing a similar role even if its not at his level.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Couturier's defense. Without him being able to shutdown other team's big guns we still wouldn't be able to score enough to win games.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
need both to win a cup

Agreed.
I think if you look at their potential (and I mean absolute best) it's Toews vs EK

That's a tough choice, but I lean Toews. That said, I think Ghost is far more likely to reach that potential than Cooter. I think SC was rushed a bit, and has lacked the confidence to develop his offensive game. Two-way play means scoring a bunch as well.

Ghost will never be able to defend the bigger players, but he's already learning that good positioning can go a long way. I think he'll be an adequate defender, but league leader in offense.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Couts, and I'm surprised this is even up for debate. No offense to Ghost, because he's awesome.

Didn't we lose like every game this year when Couts was out? Didn't we still win games when Ghost wasn't up?

As of right now, Couts's defense has a much bigger effect, but if Ghost becomes the player he's showing us he can be, sometime down the line, my response could change.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
I think Couts especially for the PK and our bottom 6 elite PIM takers.

Keeps us in the game while Ghost has the skill set to push the iWin button

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A.

This year Couturier's defense has gone to a new level. His puck possession numbers are incredible.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yep, Cout's D.

His stats vs star players are absurd.

Ghost is dynamic on O, but Cout's is a blackhole that absorbs points from superstars.

Ghost will be flashy but not amazing every game, Couts is a law of gravity.

/hype

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Couts, and I'm surprised this is even up for debate. No offense to Ghost, because he's awesome.

Didn't we lose like every game this year when Couts was out? Didn't we still win games when Ghost wasn't up?

As of right now, Couts's defense has a much bigger effect, but if Ghost becomes the player he's showing us he can be, sometime down the line, my response could change.

Wasn't he out again tonight? Ugh

Vlad*

Gostisbehere for the gamebreaking ability, really REALLY close though.

lucky to have both honestly

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Coots D is second to only a couple players in the league. It's very important to the success of this franchise. Ghost brings a great revelation on the backend right now, but in a couple years when we have Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Hagg, Friedman, etc ready for the team, will Ghost still be more important than Coots?

I'd say, lets hold onto both for their careers and never ask this question again

catbellysqueezer

Dec 26, 2015
Good points being made here, but I have a new question.

Would Giroux - Couturier - Gostisbehere be an effective 3 on 3 grouping?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad