Post-Game Talk: Where's all that talent Bob?....

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
If Laine can get benched why can't we do anything to LD? It continues to set a bad precedent that certain players are immune while others get scratched when they do nothing wrong.

At some point you have to hold key players accountable to get the message across.

I know it's a huge step, but **** we can barely even hold Lucic accountable. Then we wonder why guys don't play together as a team, for each other.

Yeah, let's bench our leading goal scorer. Our lineup is so thick with talent that I'm sure guys like Cave, Lucic, Rieder, Brodziak, Khaira, Puljujarvi et al. will make up for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Agree with it or not, guys who give 100% and make mistakes due to their limitations are always going to have a longer leash than the players making mistakes because of a lack of effort.

And players capable of 40+ goal seasons will be allowed leeway on the odd defensive error.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have yet to see anyone answer the riddle of how they hold Drai accountable without basically throwing the game.
Sometimes throwing a game to send a message is what is needed.

Not like the continuous bullshit press conferences are actually doing anything.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Agree with it or not, guys who give 100% and make mistakes due to their limitations are always going to have a longer leash than the players making mistakes because of a lack of effort.

This is exactly it.

That Kane goal was when I stopped watching. All Drai had to do was stay with him and ensure the pass didn’t get through to him.

I have a lot of time for Drai but if he wants to be a great player he has to start focusing on making the right plays without the puck.

Those arguing he contributes more to wins by scoring...what wins?

We’re on the verge of being the worst team in the West.

Reactions: HK97

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't have a lot against Lucic as of late, but the guy has shown many times that he doesn't deserve the minutes he was getting.

How do you get guys that are less talented to play hard 100% of the time if a guy that is suppose to be a leader wasn't giving 100%, but was getting rewarded with PP time and top 6 time?

I don't think they were helping him at all by spoon feeding him minutes to "get him going", but I think Lucic was actually putting in plenty of effort even when his play was at it's worst.

He seemed to be hustling and in the right spot most of the time, but it looked like he was trying to play with a pool cue instead of a hockey stick.

North

Jun 25, 2009
And players capable of 40+ goal seasons will be allowed leeway on the odd defensive error.

If it was the odd error that would be one thing but Drai hasn’t been committed on the defensive side of the puck for a long time.

This is a team that lacks a lot and therefore needs everyone buying in.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
HK97 said..

it was an absolute F****** joke what drai did on Kane's goal. ridiculous. that's literally a sunday shinny with a bunch of 55 yr olds type play by drai. inexcusable.

Excuse me Leon, but I gotta score a goal..

mhgbvkd.gif

Just joining the "party" late.

For the record, I am a HUGE Drai fan. When he's trying he's legit one of the best players in the game. But come on guys... that's not a "mistake", it's a complete lack of effort, which is NEVER, EVER acceptable on a team sport, especially if you are meant to be one of its leaders.

I've noticed that Drai is one of those guys who coasts to the bench more than others, it frustrates me to see it... I'm sure he thinks it is meaningless, until it isn't. True maturity comes when you know enough to skate the full shift every shift... the only time you coast is when you are 100% sure you are in the perfect position on the ice and even then your head is on a swivel.

It's called being engaged. We are never going to be a winning team until we have guys that are fully engaged when they are on the ice and on the bench. After that... yes, there will still be mistakes, but a good team can always cover for a teammates honest mistakes.

It's the dishonest mistakes that kill you and destroy your culture.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You’ve nailed it here.

Accountability has to be for everyone, no matter who they are. Everyone needs to feel like they’re part of the same team trying to accomplish the same goal. Different rules for different players breeds jealousy and contempt. I can’t believe this lesson wasn’t learned after the organization failed so badly when they let the Hall, Eberle, Nuge and Schultz core do whatever they wanted.

I love Draisatl’s talent and have no interest in trading him but his effort at times is frustrating to watch. He should be disciplined by the coach when he starts playing that way. That goal on the gif that was shown earlier and that terrible delay of game penalty are two good examples of things he can’t be doing, ever. Sometimes tough love is necessary to get the best out of people. We all know this. To bring it up or suggest it, doesn’t make anyone a “hater”. It isn’t different for a young hockey player.
90% of the team deserves to be sat on a nightly basis is the issue. If the team was any good then Draisaitls effort deserves to have a sit maybe. But when him, McDavid and RNH have to literally do everything themselves then screw holding them accountable for their off nights.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I have a lot of time for Drai but if he wants to be a great player he has to start focusing on making the right plays without the puck.

Those arguing he contributes more to wins by scoring...what wins?

We’re on the verge of being the worst team in the West.

Those things aren't really related.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think they were helping him at all by spoon feeding him minutes to "get him going", but I think Lucic was actually putting in plenty of effort even when his play was at it's worst.

He seemed to be hustling and in the right spot most of the time, but it looked like he was trying to play with a pool cue instead of a hockey stick.
At some point you have to do more than Hustle though. 6mil and they couldn't find time to bench him to make him think? Do you not see how other people's not give a f*** meter would drop when seeing that a 6mil guy is doing nothing, other than trying?

Seems that there are far too many players that are allowed to make mistakes and then the team and fans wonder why the less skilled guys don't play a full game. Heck was no surprise to see Rattie before plan uninspired. Guy was never given a chance and was challenged more than anyone to get his time back.

Also nice comparison with the pool cue.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

For the record, I am a HUGE Drai fan. When he's trying he's legit one of the best players in the game. But come on guys... that's not a "mistake", it's a complete lack of effort, which is NEVER, EVER acceptable on a team sport, especially if you are meant to be one of its leaders.

I've noticed that Drai is one of those guys who coasts to the bench more than others, it frustrates me to see it... I'm sure he thinks it is meaningless, until it isn't. True maturity comes when you know enough to skate the full shift every shift... the only time you coast is when you are 100% sure you are in the perfect position on the ice and even then your head is on a swivel.

It's called being engaged. We are never going to be a winning team until we have guys that are fully engaged when they are on the ice and on the bench. After that... yes, there will still be mistakes, but a good team can always cover for a teammates honest mistakes.

It's 100% a mistake. By design, it isn't Leon's responsibility to collapse to the net there.

Kane obviously sneaks in behind him and the mistake came with Leon not having his head on a swivel to see that coming. By the time he saw it, it was too late to react.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lol this is epic saw this on TSN.ca

this is a 20 point team without Connor McDavid.

Chiarelli was the worst general manager in Team(league) history.

Milbury and co are not even close.

This is comedic levels of bad without 1 player.

upload_2019-2-11_11-31-3.png

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
So basically it's not enough to be the second best player on the team on a consistent basis. You have to be perfect.
No. You just can't have a controller disconnect moment like that. In a game that big. He just gave up.

Has nothing to do with how good he is. He is vital for this team.

When you see guys like him or McJesus busting their a**, it can motivate the rest of the bums we have on the team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Well said. I'd even be fine with that mistake if he actually made up for it, but he had a horrible game.

Added two penalties and zero shots. Benching him for 5 minutes wouldn't have been the end of the world

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

And to be safe, that isn't a shot at Leon. The guy is on pace for 100 points. If you want him to play perfect defense all the time, we'd be talking about the best player in the league.
Nah, actually we'd be talking about a perfect player that doesn't exist. I'm not sure how this isn't indelibly clear.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This is specious. The slowest skater to the bench we have is RNH and its resulted in multiple two many men on the ice penalties. But its odd (and I'm not doing it) to hilite either as both players show a tendency to stay out on the ice until its clear to change. i.e. both have an established tendency to make sure puck is deep in other end before effecting a line change.

Leon is destroying the team culture now?

Holy crap, something in the water this morning. These are some strange posts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well said. I'd even be fine with that mistake if he actually made up for it, but he had a horrible game.

Added two penalties and zero shots. Benching him for 5 minutes wouldn't have been the end of the world

So where were your concerns the previous 10 games when Drai was collectively the best player on the whole team and several other players doing next to nothing to get results?

Why the timing posts, all of a sudden, creeping in in the first unexceptional game Drai has played in all of 2019?

Out of convenience?

Because it would look ludicrous to critique Drai in his multiple 2 goal efforts when the rest of the club isn't even scoring?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So where were your concerns the previous 10 games when Drai was collectively the best player on the whole team and several other players doing next to nothing to get results?

Why the timing posts, all of a sudden, creeping in in the first unexceptional game Drai has played in all of 2019?

Out of convenience?

Because it would look ludicrous to critique Drai in his multiple 2 goal efforts when the rest of the club isn't even scoring?
I'm taking more offense to Hitch's hypocritical comments, has nothing really to do with your boy

The coaches and management continue to have this useless press conferences, yet they do nothing themselves to make the team one.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm taking more offense to Hitch's hypocritical comments, has nothing really to do with your boy

The coaches and management continue to have this useless press conferences, yet they do nothing themselves to make the team one.
Hitch is a bozo with a boner for Lucic that I don't understand.

He's just another crony.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
If it was the odd error that would be one thing but Drai hasn’t been committed on the defensive side of the puck for a long time.

This is a team that lacks a lot and therefore needs everyone buying in.
Yep. He misses some reads. He’s young. It happens. He’ll learn.
His defensive issues are being overblown a little.

Yep. This team lacks a lot. There are many Oilers that are terrible at both ends and here we are focusing on a young player on pace for a 100 point season. It’s dumb.

My concern here is that I’ve seen this talk before. It results in the team sending away an excellent player.

Draisaitl has flaws. Like Hall, Poti, Arnott, Schultz, Eberle and Petry did.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hitch is a bozo with a ***** for Lucic that I don't understand.

He's just another crony.
I've always liked Lucic and am glad to see he looks like a NHLer in 2019. With that being said there's been plenty of chances to ride the pine even for a period, and he hasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad