Where will Ovechkin rank all time when he retires?

Where will Ovechkin rank all time when he retires?

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Top 3

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Top 5

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Top 10

Votes: 108 47.6%
  • Top 15

Votes: 53 23.3%
  • Top 20

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Top 25

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Top 30

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Top 40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top 50

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Top 100

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Not even top 100

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Tbf, outside of maybe McDavid, I don't think any of the players in tier 2 would have an MVP if their primes overlapped with Gretzky and Mario.

Out of everyone I have in tier 2, Roy's definitely the best playoff performer, has a very high peak (when you take era into account, it's much closer to Hasek's peak seasons), and insane longevity/consistency (finished top 3 in hart voting 1 season before retirement and was still vezina calibre at 37). You can definitely argue someone else belongs at #5 but I don't think other guys have overwhelmingly stronger cases.
In the year he finished 2nd Roy didn’t lose to Gretzky and Mario, he lost to Messier.

The year he finished 3rd he lost to Theodore.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Bobby Hull accomplished less than Ovechkin while competing against far lessor competition.
Didn't he compete against Howe and Beliveau in their prime years?
The case for him over Ovie is nostalgia plus a lack of context.
I think people have just been putting them in the same tier. Most have put OV a spot or two above Hull even. I think you are fighting invisible demons.
That's not to knock Hull, as his ranking as the 5th greatest player of all time is fine based on merit. It's a knock on the indefensibly low ratings of Ovechkin.
It feels like you are knocking Hull for some reason. Most people who have a good context of both of their careers put them very close in the standings. Go the the History of Hockey forum if you want to gain a bit more insight on Hull's career and why he is ranked so highly all time by most pundits. OV being alongside Hull on every list puts him in the top 10-15 on just about everyone's list still.
Lidstrom and Bourque were never in the conversation for best player in the world - which should matter when talking about the greatest players ever.
Agreed. Teams are built around game breaking offensive talents. The only defenseman that fits that bill is Orr unfortunately.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Tbf, outside of maybe McDavid, I don't think any of the players in tier 2 would have an MVP if their primes overlapped with Gretzky and Mario.

Out of everyone I have in tier 2, Roy's definitely the best playoff performer, has a very high peak (when you take era into account, it's much closer to Hasek's peak seasons), and insane longevity/consistency (finished top 3 in hart voting 1 season before retirement and was still vezina calibre at 37). You can definitely argue someone else belongs at #5 but I don't think other guys have overwhelmingly stronger cases.
This argument is a bit hyperbolic I think. Its actually hard to think a prime OV (2007-2010) wouldn't snag an MVP from Gretzky or Mario.

Damn you Midnight Judges. I think I can see a comfortable top 7 argument for OV.

Gretz
Lemieux/Howe/Orr/McDavid
Crosby/OV

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Bobby Hull is 11 years younger than Gordie Howe. In professional athletics, that's bordering on a generation.

Howe had extraordinary longevity, so yes they did compete. But it wasn't really peak Howe. All the same is true to a lesser degree for Beliveau who was 3 years younger than Howe.

I think people have just been putting them in the same tier. Most have put OV a spot or two above Hull even. I think you are fighting invisible demons.

The history forum ranked Bobby Hull 5th all time. They had Ovechkin 22nd.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
In the year he finished 2nd Roy didn’t lose to Gretzky and Mario, he lost to Messier.

I'm aware of that. My point is that most of his prime years were overshadowed by those two and there weren't many other opportunities to win a Hart. There's no guarantee that any of the other guys' Hart winning seasons (minus McDavid and maybe Hasek) win in 92 (given Messier had the whole NYR storyline going) or that they even occur in 92 to begin with; it's possible but things happen. Either way, I already admitted Roy's lack of a Hart trophy stands out, but he did finish top 5 on 5 occasions and is elite in every other category like I said.

This argument is a bit hyperbolic I think. Its actually hard to think a prime OV (2007-2010) wouldn't snag an MVP from Gretzky or Mario.

Damn you Midnight Judges. I think I can see a comfortable top 7 argument for OV.

Gretz
Lemieux/Howe/Orr/McDavid
Crosby/OV
It's possible, but I only think it'd happen if his 08 season occured in 91 or 92 when Gretzky/Mario had off years and there was voter fatigue. Either way, my point was it'd be very difficult and require good timing for anybody I had in tier 2 to snag a hart trophy during 86-96 since a player's peak years usually end around their mid to late 20s, none of them would have the same hart record they currently do. That's why I also have peak, consistency/longevity, playoff resumes, and feats as criteria for tier 2.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Gretz
Lemieux/Howe/Orr/McDavid
Crosby/OV

That's more or less how I see it.

Ben Grimm

Non-Bs fans: Neely forever! 🏒
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... Agreed. Teams are built around game breaking offensive talents. The only defenseman that fits that bill is Orr unfortunately.

They played in the high scoring 80s and 90s and still are both going to be behind OV all time who isn't even a pass first player.

I knew this weak argument was coming. We're comparing apples to oranges, Ds to Fs. Bourque and Coffey are not "game breaking offensive talents"? :laugh: Okay, you HHoF historian. I already proved you were wrong. Why don't you take this weak sauce to the History of Hockey forum and see what happens? :laugh:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Still goalies and Dmen often don't get serious of fair consideration for the Hart so any argument about lack of Hart voting for goalies or Dmen is really weak on it's own right?

Reactions: jigglysquishy

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I knew this weak argument was coming. We're comparing apples to oranges, Ds to Fs. Bourque and Coffey are not "game breaking offensive talents"? :laugh: Okay, you HHoF historian. I already proved you were wrong. Why don't you take this weak sauce to the History of Hockey forum and see what happens? :laugh:
No, they are not. Game breaking offensive talents get placed in a offensive, not defensive role. You must have never seen Coffey or Bourque play if you think they had the ability to generate offense in the same manner as the best offensive players of their time.

Still goalies and Dmen often don't get serious of fair consideration for the Hart so any argument about lack of Hart voting for goalies or Dmen is really weak on it's own right?
Its really unique and unusual for a team to build their system around a goalie or defenseman. The closest thing I can think of was the trap in New Jersey with Brodeur and Stevens/Nieds. It makes much more sense to hitch your wagon to a game breaking offensive talent and then to build your team system to fill the holes around that talent.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

No not really as was outlined above wehn Hull entered the NHL elite circles in the 59-60 season, Jean was already 28 and Howe was 31.
I think that most people have Ovi above Hull and rightly so as they are first and foremost know as goal scorers and Ovi is the best goal scorer of all time.

It feels like you are knocking Hull for some reason. Most people who have a good context of both of their careers put them very close in the standings. Go the the History of Hockey forum if you want to gain a bit more insight on Hull's career and why he is ranked so highly all time by most pundits. OV being alongside Hull on every list puts him in the top 10-15 on just about everyone's list still.

They are close but the HOH forum really holds back current players and most players need a 5 year retirement before they get an more accurate and fair ranking on that forum.

That board as a whole also downplays the 6 team versus 30 to 32 team integrated elague to some degree as well.

All that being said the HOH section does have great posters that really consider all time questions more thoroughly than this section even with my interpretation of said biases.
Agreed. Teams are built around game breaking offensive talents. The only defenseman that fits that bill is Orr unfortunately.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Still goalies and Dmen often don't get serious of fair consideration for the Hart so any argument about lack of Hart voting for goalies or Dmen is really weak on its own right?
What goalies and dman have deserved the Hart recently?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad