Where will Connor McDavid rank all-time by the time he retires?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where will Connor McDavid rank all-time by the time he retires?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Connor McDavid is having a hell of a career. He's in the midst of a fantastic peak/prime. He used to lack a lot of playoff success early on, but he's done a tremendous job there the last 3 years, and as of this posting he's entering his first final in a couple of days, and so he may add a cup/smythe as early as this year.

Where do you expect he will rank all-time by the time he retires? Obviously, this is going to take a bit of projection/guesswork, since a lot of this probably depends on how much longer he can maintain his peak, and how well he ages.

Voting options are:

#1. This is simple, if you think he'll be the greatest ever by the time he retires

#2-4. There's a talked about "big 4" in Hockey which is Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux/Howe in some order that has been untouchable for decades. Gretzky is often seen as #1 (though not unanimous) - so if you don't think McDavid will finish #1, do you think he has it in him to at least displace one of the 4 players and rank somewhere between #2 and 4, and essentially remake it into a "big 5"?

#5. As much as we often say there's a "big 4" in hockey, #5 is usually much more open. There's probably a mix of ~10+ viable candidates for this spot, and no one has really managed to unanimously grab this spot. You have the likes of Crosby, Beliveau, Hull, Hasek, Jagr just to name a few names often thrown about. Will McDavid surpass them all and be seen as a clear #5?

Below #5. This pretty much implies he does not quite reach #5 - meaning you have at least 1 "non big-4" player clearly above McDavid. This could be Hasek, Crosby, Jagr, Bourque, Ovechkin, etc.

Outside the top 10. I don't really think this option is needed anymore, but I figured I'd put this in here if anyone wants to make an argument for it.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
as high as 3, probably not much lower assuming he stays relatively healthy. he should pass everyone since lemieux.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
#5 is most likely, but I’d imagine there’ll be legitimate arguments that will place him higher. Especially if he can continue a similar level of play. I think we may have already seen his absolute peak in terms of scoring, but he still probably has another Art Ross or two or three in him, and there’s no reason to believe he won’t have more postseason success along the way.

I already have him in the 5 spot, but I’m bigger on peak than longevity. I’ve seen enough these past few years to say he’s the best player post-Mario. He doesn’t yet have the career duration of a Crosby - who has a strong case for #5 right now - but Crosby wasn’t this good. And Crosby was and still is great. But McDavid’s just a different animal.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I voted top 5.

Top 5 will require him to maintain his current trajectory for several more years while remaining healthy.

And win at least one Cup, which he has the chance to do during this run.

While it's not unheard of for him to supplant someone in the top 4, a LOT of things would have to go extremely well for him.

I think people voting for top 4 need to state who he will replace and why.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Barring catastrophic divergence from an expected aging curve, #5 with an outside shot of replacing Mario at #4. He would have to have ridiculous longevity to unseat Orr at #3.
Curious who you have ahead of Orr aside from Gretzky

I have them 1/2 pick your order

I have Howe/Mario 3/4 again pick your order

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think 4 or 5. Possibly higher. Just hard to imagine anyone passing Orr or Lemieux. But I think he's on that tier.

Reactions: frontsfan67

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Either 5th or 4th afaic. Depending on accolades/accomplishments people may be willing to argue 2nd

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'll probably have him #2. I'm willing to give modern players some credit for being better in an absolute sense vs. judging strictly vs contemporaries. He'd need crazy longevity to get anywhere near consensus #2. It'll probably wind up 50/50ish on whether people have him top 4 or #5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad