Where have all the GOATenders gone?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Quebec stopped developing goalies is what happened.

No worries bois, we have you covered

We're sending this beautiful s.o.b. help the country win its next gold medal

Sam-Montembeault-scaled.jpg

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Also, we just ended an era where Price played with those pairs:

Lundqvist, Bob, Vasilevsky, Thomas, Rask and Quick

Everybody in this groupe (Price included) is either in the HOF, going in, or on the verge to go in

Current era looks promising too

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Stick technology gave everyone down to the last defenceman a 100mph shot.

Can't be a reflex goalie when shots can't physically be reacted to fast enough anymore.

Everyone plays a prediction and blocking game now, which is highly susceptible to bad luck. Impossible to predict which goalie will get lucky on any given season.

Once a goalie gets bad luck it often results in a snowball where they doubt themselves and start chasing the game which makes it even worse.

Could always force shooters to use the old wooden sticks if you want to see goalies dominate again.

Reactions: sanscosm

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Thomas and Quick had insane peaks, just didn't sustain it, same with Price. I'd put all of their peaks up there with the best. Lundqvist had an amazing career and although his peak wasn't as high as the others, there could be a case that he sustained excellence the longest.

Modern crop has some really good names as well in Shesty, Sorokin, Vassy.

Personally I think Hasek is in a league of his own when it comes to goalies, more so than Wayne even. When you compare him to Roy who had 0 seasons over 930 sv% and only 3 over 920 (5 if we're being generous, Brodeur who had 0 seasons over 930 sv% (1 if we're being generous) and 3 over 920 meanwhile Hasek had 5 over 930 and 3 over 920 (1 more at 919).

So yeah I think the modern crop is still fantastic, definitely in the Roy/Brodeur tier, but as I said personally I find Hasek destroys them.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Felix Potvin was interviews years ago and he was asked the difference between when he was goalie and now and he said when he was a goalie there were only a couple players on each roster you needed to know that could shoot the puck, whereas now almost everyone can.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You listed four Vezina winners (Hellebuyck won twice so four trophies total) out of 7 professionals, and none with Hart/Lindsey/Smythe considerations although Bobrovsky was in the conversation against a record-setting McDavid.

Vasilevskiy, Price Quick were probably the last most recent challengers but in the end fell short of all-time greatness.

I'm talking goalies who dominate the crease and carry seasons on their backs, not one-time flashes in the pan. Goalies that make bad teams look like playoff qualifiers and playoff contenders into champions.

You can tell me my standards are too high but the greats of yesteryear were able to achieve such lofty heights with worse equipment, less coaching, and heavier workloads and oftentimes, crappier teams. I consider the current class to be very good but not in the conversation of truly great.

I think it's a little early to write off Vasilevskiy here just because he had one bad year

he just turned 30 a couple months ago, I wouldn't bet on it but it wouldn't be surprising at all if he were to win another Vezina or two

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Shesterkin? Hellebuyck? Demko? Sorokin? Swayman? Playoff Bobrovsky? Saros?

As for prospects, Wallstedt, Askarov, Levi, etc?
Playoff Bobrovsky? Eh, I don't know about that. Panthers fans go crazy about his performance and he posted average numbers. It wasn't like a Tim Thomas or Quick run where the goalie was posting a .940.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Playoff Bobrovsky? Eh, I don't know about that. Panthers fans go crazy about his performance and he posted average numbers. It wasn't like a Tim Thomas or Quick run where the goalie was posting a .940.
He was rock solid throughout most of the playoffs. Not to mention the fact that he's won what two Vezina trophies?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad