Where have all the GOATenders gone?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The younger generation doesn't have that mentality to want and thrive in a role like that, and with the salary cap and social media why would anyone?
That was the most boomer NPC thing I have read in a long time. And I know you're probably aren't one.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
You listed four Vezina winners (Hellebuyck won twice so four trophies total) out of 7 professionals, and none with Hart/Lindsey/Smythe considerations although Bobrovsky was in the conversation against a record-setting McDavid.

Vasilevskiy, Price Quick were probably the last most recent challengers but in the end fell short of all-time greatness.

I'm talking goalies who dominate the crease and carry seasons on their backs, not one-time flashes in the pan. Goalies that make bad teams look like playoff qualifiers and playoff contenders into champions.

You can tell me my standards are too high but the greats of yesteryear were able to achieve such lofty heights with worse equipment, less coaching, and heavier workloads and oftentimes, crappier teams. I consider the current class to be very good but not in the conversation of truly great.

While people will say goaltending wasn't a problem for the Canucks in the playoffs, it is obvious the team just plays differently when Demko is in net.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I wrote a topic on this months ago..... Is the "longterm elite goaltender" now a thing of the past?

to me the position has become more and more normalized over time. Coaching systems and defenses now play just as much a role in their team's goals against as the goalies do. Thats my theory anyway.

Goalies seem peak just as their team does, and will look bad after just a simple coaching change or trade to less defensive team.

Tons of examples of this in the past 20 years under coaches such as: Lemaire, Hitchcock, Trotz, Montgomery etc
I agree 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad