Speculation: Where does Swayman’s Cap Hit Land?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is Swayman’s new AAV?

• $6m

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • $7m

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • $8m

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • $9m

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • $10m

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • $11m

• $12m+

• Total voters

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Bruins control the player at this point. He is dreaming if he thinks he has earned 8x6 or 8

Regardless of the "pressure" the PA is putting on him.

He kept on saying he loves Boston , teammates , the uniform. Lets see if he's just another greedy player that talks out of both sides.

Again he's not earned the big pay day yet

Reactions: Gordoff

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
if the bruins plan to sign him for 8 years , i wouldn't handicapp there cap
long term, so no more then 6.5 aav.
if he wants 8 million, bruins should just sign him for 4 years max.
you never know with goaltending, not saying swayman is not good but i rememeber
when Carolina won the stanley cup in 2006 . Cam Ward had an unbelievable playoff
that year. Carolina signed cam ward long term to big money that summer. he was never
the same goalie after that.
Carey Price signed his 10 million dollar deal with Montreal even though he was a good
to great at times the team was handicapped with adding quality other players because
of the cap hit on Price, how much playoff success has Montreal had > One year and
how many times have they had poor seasons with Price in net.
be careful with goaltenders is all i can say.

If the NHL projections are correct, then the salary cap of the next 10 years is not going to be like the salary cap of the past 10 years. For the first 10 seasons of the salary cap era, the cap increased a total of 77%. For the next 10 seasons (i.e. the past 10 seasons), it increased 21%. Many of the bad contracts that exist are only bad because of that minimal increase.

In that same time period (past 10 seasons), the NBA cap increased 116% and NFL cap increased 69%. Now I don't expect the NHL to see the same growth as both of those leagues, but they're a great example of how the idea of what's considered an expensive contract quickly changes.

All of this is to say, barring another pandemic ::knocks on wood::, I wouldn't be nearly as worried about signing handicapping contracts going forward. Beyond that, Price really isn't a good comparison. His most recent deal started at age 31. Swayman's will start at 26, the same age Rask's 8x$7M started, which, despite unreasonable complaints from some of the fan base, was a great deal for the Bruins. And in case anyone's curious, Swayman's statistical performance through the same age is awfully similar (including a stellar playoff performance in the most recent season). If Swayman were to ask for the same cap % as Rask, he'd be looking at $9.6M and no one expects him to get that.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Bruins control the player at this point. He is dreaming if he thinks he has earned 8x6 or 8

Regardless of the "pressure" the PA is putting on him.

He kept on saying he loves Boston , teammates , the uniform. Lets see if he's just another greedy player that talks out of both sides.

Again he's not earned the big pay day yet
Right on, even though some on this board totally disagree.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
We are so spoiled with goaltending, it hasn't been a problem for almost two decades. Asking Swayman to "prove himself" again, when he, spoiler alert, inevitably does, will result in two scenarios:

1. He demands $12m+ like Shesterkin
2. We follow the path of half the league who haven't had a long-term serviceable (let alone elite) goalie for years

There aren't many players in the league I'd be more comfortable investing in than Sway. 25 is ridiculously young for a goalie, let alone one with his track record. Solve your goaltending for the next decade and watch as the contract gets better and better with age. We already kicked the can down the road once.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well let's hope they can negotiate a viable solution that they are both satisfied with, may not be entirely happy on either side but hopefully they come to terms.

I know Swayman thinks he is worth X amount but DS has to look out for the current and future well being of the team and not just 1 individual. He does not want to get himself into a similar situation as this past year.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Whatever the number ends up at, I hope (as DKH said) since he loves being a Bruin he thinks first about quality of life etc.
If he leaves some "meat on the bone" for future signings, TDL, or a few call-ups in March, I think it would make his teammates happiest IMO.
Of course they love him, but if he does as other leaders like Marchand, Bergeron, and Krejci have done over the past dozen years and takes enough but not too much, it displays something just as important as mastery of the position.
I think it'll end up at $8x8 but I hope he thinks of the overall picture and realizes
what taking a small discount can do for the team in an intangible way, even though it's his right to go for all the money that he can. Take some/leave some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad