Where Does Pavel Datsyuk Rank Among The Best Centers Of His Era And How Do You View His Legacy?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Pavel Datsyuk is one of the best all-around players in NHL history. He was widely regarded as the best defensive center of his era in a very low scoring time in NHL history and should eventually get his name in the Hall of Fame.

Growing up, I remember Pavel Datsyuk being looked at as one of the best centers in the league behind Sidney Crosby. How does he stack up compared to prime Henrik Sedin, Evgeni Malkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf, Anze Kopitar, Claude Giroux, Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews, John Tavares, etc?

How do you view Pavel Datsyuk’s legacy and where does he rank in the best centers of his era?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Depends how broadly you want to define "era". Certainly the first four years post-Lockout he's as good as any player. After that with the next four years, he falls back a bit with the rest of the pack and also wasn't quite there immediately pre-Lockout.

Very HHOF career, but ultimately one third place Hart Finish, one 2nd Team All-Star and hard to justify more season by season. The "two-way" Centers he's debated against as far as were they his peers or was he a tier above didn't really have prime overlap with him in that those guys weren't really established yet during Datsyuk's best years.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Depends how broadly you want to define "era". Certainly the first four years post-Lockout he's as good as any player. After that with the next four years, he falls back a bit with the rest of the pack and also wasn't quite there immediately pre-Lockout.

Very HHOF career, but ultimately one third place Hart Finish, one 2nd Team All-Star and hard to justify more season by season. The "two-way" Centers he's debated against as far as were they his peers or was he a tier above didn't really have prime overlap with him in that those guys weren't really established yet during Datsyuk's best years.
That the thing though. Defensive centers are overlooked in the trophy department. Anze Kopitar had one season where he was top 3 in Hart votes and you couldn’t say he wasn’t a top center of his era.

LA’s coach, Hiller, talked about this in a recent interview. Guys like Kopitar and Datysuk, both of which he mentioned specifically, sacrifice points for two-way game. Even Steve Yzerman never won a Hart.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He’s in the top tier with Sid and Malkin for me.
None of those players is on the same tier. Sid is in the tier with Beliveau, Hull, and McDavid, just outside the Big 4. Malkin is in the tier with Yzerman, Forsberg and Dionne. Datsyuk is in a tier with Iginla, Keith and Gilmour.

Datsyuk had a brilliant peak but he didn't have the numbers, hardware or impact on his team's multiple Cups that Sid and Geno did. He's a distant third when compared to them.

what Doughty and Chara said he was the best it wasn't a great time for talent but he influenced the crop today

NHLers say a lot of crazy things but it was pretty absurd to call Pavel Datsyuk the best player in the league in 2015. Mind you, that's just two guys and that was certainly not the general consensus then.

Last edited:

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I'm one of the biggest Datsyuk fans but I wouldn't rank him higher than let's say Crosby or Malkin. Still given the choice among these three I would choose him 10 times out of 10.

He made his every shift entertaining for the fans. In my opinion his style is how the hockey needs to be played.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad