Where do the Jackets finish in the Metro this season?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Tier 1: Penguins, Capitals

Tier 2: Islanders, Flyers

Tier 3: Hurricanes, Jackets

Tier 4: Devils, Rangers

Shook those up and abruptly decided that Philly would end up getting screwed by a Ghost sophomore slump plus injuries or something, because there's always one team that does surprisingly poor, and got:
Capitals
Penguins
Islanders
Hurricanes
Jackets
Flyers
Rangers
Devils

So #5.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'd think that my points 6,7, and 8 have to occur if point 1 is to happen.

I just don't see this team having much of a margin of error for them to make the playoffs. The lack of elite talent almost necessitates that every piece of this performance-by-committee team performs close to their optimal levels.

Agree 100%. Our goaltending and defense sucked last year - too many folks blame it all on Bob last year but the guys in front of him were bad. Through in a young d-corps (3 guys under 23) and it will be a challenge.
So you need to have improvement in front of Bob and need Bob to stay healthy and play well.

Anything can happen but the CBJ have a lot more questions than answers. Only thing we know is Saad can produce at a high production level. Most everything else we're hoping for something (whether guys like Jenner keeping up what he showed last year, a guy like Foligno coming back, etc).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd think that my points 6,7, and 8 have to occur if point 1 is to happen.

I just don't see this team having much of a margin of error for them to make the playoffs. The lack of elite talent almost necessitates that every piece of this team performs close to their optimal levels.

When I remember the 2013 defence in the Vezina season, there wasn't really a clear top pair quality duo. We had a bunch of second pair types. Like 5 of them.

But I basically agree, that our chances of getting Vezina Bob go up substantially if 6, 7, and 8 happen.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Went with 5th.. and sadly thats the overly optimistic side of me.

The realist side is saying 7th or 8th :D

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I have low expectations for this season. I guessed sixth thinking the Jackets are probably better than the Devils and Hurricanes. Fifth or better would be a pleasant surprise.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Really we might finish last, I just want us to beat the Devils so our favorite other board poster goes wild.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I picked 6th only because "God only knows" wasn't an option.

Really I think our success this year depends on Bob's dietary choices and whether his stomach biology reacts well to said culinary choices.
:laugh:

That and I think the groin whisperer has it figured out. 4th in the division as blah says!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Really I think our success this year depends on Bob's dietary choices and whether his stomach biology reacts well to said culinary choices.
:laugh:

That and I think the groin whisperer has it figured out. 4th in the division as blah says!

We need to cherish this moment... Major and blah actually agree on something...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Obviously we're better than the Pens...I want to switch my vote. :laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hockey Prospectus did a projection of the various divisions and their finish order - and it's on ESPN as an "insider" article, so it's not very accessible - but here's what they came up with:

1. Capitals - 1st (99 points) - Stanley Cup contender
2. Penguins - 2nd (96 points) - Stanley Cup contender
3. Rangers - 3rd (96 points) - Playoff-bound
4. Islanders - 4th (92 points) - Playoff-bound
5. Blue Jackets - 5th (91 points) - On the bubble
6. Hurricanes - T-6th (90 points) - On the bubble
7. Flyers - T-6th (90 points) - On the bubble
8. Devils - 7th (82 points) - Wait until next season

Basically, they still think the Rangers are a competitive team, but otherwise it matches my guesstimates.

(EDIT: The Atlantic projections for points suggest that they expect the Atlantic to take both wildcard slots by a tiny margin - 93 points versus 92.)

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^^^

Rangers could be competitive but in my mind they have a lot of questions. Lundqvist? D? AV? Nash? Zibanejad?

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Hockey Prospectus did a projection of the various divisions and their finish order - and it's on ESPN as an "insider" article, so it's not very accessible - but here's what they came up with:

Basically, they still think the Rangers are a competitive team, but otherwise it matches my guesstimates.

(EDIT: The Atlantic projections for points suggest that they expect the Atlantic to take both wildcard slots by a tiny margin - 93 points versus 92.)

To me, this is probably a realistic "optimistic" prediction. I doubt it gets better then this.

I don't get the Canes love, though. I suppose they could surprise, but I just see too many question marks for them. Even more so then the CBJ.

Even with our young D-men, I still see us improving our GA numbers as long as Bob isn't injured, or goes into another funk. Not only that, but if those D-men are able to transition the puck to offense well, as that is supposed to be one of their strengths, we should see as much or more offense this season.

I still see us around 6th, but the above scenario is not outside the realm of possibility.

*EDIT*

Wanted to add a couple of things that really haven't been mentioned much.

PK, and PP

Jackets were about NHL average on the PK last season, but NHL below average on the PP. I think they should improve on both this season. It may take a little while to get the PP rolling, but I think this group can bump the approx 81% PK up a few points from the get-go. That would go a long way in improving this teams won / loss ratio.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
4th. Bob and Foligno rebound, Werenski shines. It's enough to be in a dog-fight for the playoffs with the Jackets claiming 7th or 8th spot in the conference.

I see us between 4th-6th, so I voted for the best outcome (4th). I don't think we are good enough to be in the top 3 (too young) and I don't think we are anywhere near as bad as a lot of people on here do.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I somehow don't enjoy it when outsiders rank the Jackets above 8th. I was personally enjoying the unanimity about the Jackets being last.

Those seem like good betting numbers for each squad - though of course the actual spread in points across the division should be higher than that. It's very compressed.

And I don't get Carolina.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I somehow don't enjoy it when outsiders rank the Jackets above 8th. I was personally enjoying the unanimity about the Jackets being last.

Those seem like good betting numbers for each squad - though of course the actual spread in points across the division should be higher than that. It's very compressed.

Because Sebastian Aho and Teuvo will be the difference between their bottom dwelling and being on the playoff bubble :sarcasm:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Carolina's got the same "three awesome young blueliners" schtick we have in Slavin, Hanifin, and Faulk. Their offense has been comparatively subpar, but they've added some really nice pieces (as WannabeFinn sardonically noted). Played surprisingly well towards the end of the season last year, too (altho we know how that can sometimes go :cry: ). They do have a few more goaltending question marks than we do, tho.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Carolina's got the same "three awesome young blueliners" schtick we have in Slavin, Hanifin, and Faulk. Their offense has been comparatively subpar, but they've added some really nice pieces (as WannabeFinn sardonically noted). Played surprisingly well towards the end of the season last year, too (altho we know how that can sometimes go :cry: ). They do have a few more goaltending question marks than we do, tho.

Their D is looking great, I just don't think Teuvo and Aho are going to add up to diddly squat any time soon. Maybe Aho in a year. For now they've got an edge on the Jackets on D but are behind the Jackets at F and G by large margins.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I ranked them 7th, ahead of only the Devils. The Jackets have no team identity - other than years of futility. They're not going to score in bunches, but they also aren't going to shut teams down most nights. Bob can look spectacular at times, but his health and consistency are real question marks. I think the Jackets get about 85 points. Still, I'll be at most home games hoping for the best....beats the alternative of no NHL hockey in our city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad