Where did Yzerman go wrong with the rebuild?

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
The 2nd traded for Walman was pick #53 which was Leo Sahlin Wallenius. Lukas Fischer went #56 to the Blues, The Wings acquired that 2nd pick used in the Walman trade from the Gibson trade where they also got Kiiskinen. Wings still had their own 2nd and selected Max Plante #47.

They still could've gotten him if they wanted to, they didn't.
Just because wallenius was the pick doesn't mean he was going to be ours. Fischer was available and I'd picked him

I hate when fans complain oh we traded the pick that was bergeron or whatever player. Doesn't mean he would have been your pick... anyways

Yes they could have picked him up at 47 if they wanted to no sh*t. Doesn't mean he wouldnt have been the next guy on the list we'll never know. Point is that pick we traded away should have been in play. Itll never make sense we dealt a 2nd to move walman

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just because wallenius was the pick doesn't mean he was going to be ours. Fischer was available and I'd picked him

I hate when fans complain oh we traded the pick that was bergeron or whatever player. Doesn't mean he would have been your pick... anyways

Yes they could have picked him up at 47 if they wanted to no sh*t. Doesn't mean he wouldnt have been the next guy on the list we'll never know. Point is that pick we traded away should have been in play. Itll never make sense we dealt a 2nd to move walman

I think that at the end of the day, the 2nd lost won't be a major loss overall to the Wings rebuild.

I doubt in 2-4 seasons we will even remember it.

Just kidding, we will talk about it forever just like Mursak and Hossa/Franzen!!!

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
I think that at the end of the day, the 2nd lost won't be a major loss overall to the Wings rebuild.

I doubt in 2-4 seasons we will even remember it.

Just kidding, we will talk about it forever just like Mursak and Hossa/Franzen!!!
And dick axelson and johan ryno

Point is the 2nd is ours and I'll only forget it if lukas Fischer is a bust and doesn't have a nice career like his dad would had before his career ended

Reactions: Oddbob

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

I was just pointing out who they picked, of course I know that doesn't mean the Wings would have went the same way.

Reactions: wingsfannn919191

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Either you want to make the playoffs and ice the best roster, or you’re icing some mid tier players to just waste time until you feel that the prospects are fully developed. Either way they need to commit to 1 fully and not half ass either of them.
Regardless of how I feel about the approach, I don't see how you can watch this team and not think Yzerman has fully committed to that second option. Nearly the entire roster is made of two categories of players:
1) Long term investment / prospect.
* Berggren
* Debrincat
* Edvinsson
* Johansson
* Kasper
* Larkin
* Raymond
* Seider

2) Band-aid.
* Chiarot
* Copp
* Compher
* Fischer
* Gustafsson
* Holl
* Kane
* Lyon
* Maatta
* Motte
* Petry
* Talbot
* Tarasenko

Other than debating Debrincat, the only guys that could be in a grey area are Rasmussen and Veleno. (Personally I view Veleno as 100 percent band-aid, but I could see the debate based on age.)

Is it frustrating to see such a long list of placeholders? Sure. But how is that not committing to slow playing the kids?

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
The comedy of it all is how most on the main board who are critical of Yzerman overlook our crappy lottery luck.

We’re not Edmonton, Buffalo, Ottawa, or Chicago where sucking granted us top picks, or Philly , or NYR where we drop down into 1st, or 2nd overall.

I like how it's treated as some tiny minor point. Like sure, you guys have only had one pick in the top five in decades, but geez, why aren't you contending yet? Where's your mega-elite 22 year old center?? You're doing it wrong!!! :rolleyes:

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
Albert Johansson's played 3 games ... can we just trade maata already so he can play games. Get hes a rookie but he shouldn't sit for 50 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad