When will Bouchard be considered elite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
When he stops floating when the puck moves towards his own zone.

I don't think anyone has denied he's elite offensively.

EDIT: I see some peeps in this thread are actually denying that... Weird takes but ok..

The fans who watch every single game of Bouchard do not agree, but I'm sure your casual viewings are more informed and correct.

You formulate an opinion based of of old evidence. You should open yourself to new information once in a while. Bouch has improved immensely in the last year.

Without a doubt. Had a phenomenal series but also keep in mind Hughes was definitely injured from the Nashville series. Would have been nice to see Hughes be able to turn at all on his skates.
Why did Hughes claim to have no injuries yesterday?

Reactions: VainGretzky

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The fans who watch every single game of Bouchard do not agree, but I'm sure your casual viewings are more informed and correct.

You formulate an opinion based of of old evidence. You should open yourself to new information once in a while. Bouch has improved immensely in the last year.

The same reason if you asked McDavid if he is playing hurt, he would say he is fine.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I really really hope the Oilers win the Cup so their fanbase can drop the red headed step child need for constant vindication and validation.

Bouchard seems to be a great young player coming into his own .. but Cale Makar he is not.

And thats okay.

View attachment 875201
with 100% honesty, Bouchard was better than Makar this year. Regular season and playoffs. Makar didn't have his best all year, and any Avs fan will tell you that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly - after watching last night, I'm finally sold. Dude is quietly on the Mt Rushmore of D-men in today's league
That's the thing with Bouchard - the only flashy thing about him is his shot. He's not a waterbug like Hughes or Makar, not a bruiser like Trouba, he's not juking around guys or stickhandling through entire teams. Because he's not flashy in a lot of ways it can take a lot of viewings to truly appreciate what he does and how smart a player he is.

The best thing about Bouchard, other than his shot, is his brain. Bieksa touched on it last night - it takes absolutely elite offensive instincts to make the pass he made to McDavid last night for the winner.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
That's the thing with Bouchard - the only flashy thing about him is his shot. He's not a waterbug like Hughes or Makar, not a bruiser like Trouba, he's not juking around guys or stickhandling through entire teams. Because he's not flashy in a lot of ways it can take a lot of viewings to truly appreciate what he does and how smart a player he is.

The best thing about Bouchard, other than his shot, is his brain. Bieksa touched on it last night - it takes absolutely elite offensive instincts to make the pass he made to McDavid last night for the winner.
His pass was definitely Kucherov like. He makes it a split second later it's no goal. Clutch play

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

He uses the threat of his shot lots at the blue line by allowing himself to walk around defenders when they bite, he’s also good at getting defenders to draw to him only to pass to an uncovered oiler.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

No, I formulate my opinion watching Oilers games this season and during the playoffs. Stop pretending like others don't watch games just because you dont agree with their non-homer opinions.

What new information? You provide none and instead went on to attack the person instead of the argument.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Ask Kris Letang when he makes the HHoF.

Tough being behind two superstar forwards. And no, Bouchard doesn't come close to Letang.

Reactions: sanscosm

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
No, I formulate my opinion watching Oilers games this season and during the playoffs. Stop pretending like others don't watch games just because you dont agree with their non-homer opinions.

What new information? You provide none and instead went on to attack the person instead of the argument.

Ok well if his counting stats aren't enough for you, he is currently on the top D pair in the playoffs by virtually every single advanced stat imaginable.

- playoffs

If thats not enough, let's also compare his advanced stats to the best D in the NHL, Cale Makar (who plays with the likely hart winner MacKinnon, and just as strong of a team and D partner)

- Playoff H2H

- Reg Season H2H

Bouchard dominates every facet of the game, and has advanced a ridiculous amount in 1 year. Narratives are sticky and hard to break, but there isn't much more evidence anyone can provide. He is exceptional at making smart plays out of the zone, has improved D zone awareness greatly and is a major reason for the Oilers success this year. He's a top 10, if not top 5 D in the league right now, and depending how you value advanced stats he's top 3.

Reactions: Juxta Position

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Tough being behind two superstar forwards. And no, Bouchard doesn't come close to Letang.
Kris Letang has never had 20 points in the playoffs, and he's never had an 80 point season.

Bouchard did both at 24 years old.

Bouchard can't touch Letang's body of work yet... but let's talk in a decade.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
As for the thread title, when he stops being babysat on defence. Guy has an absolute rocket of a shot, the great thing about him as an Oilers fan is that all his flaws are coachable. I said the same thing about Hughes a year or two ago, so I fully expect these things to be sorted out in the near future for him.
Damn you actually believe this stuff don’t you. Okay. Thanks for the tips coach, hope we can start working on those flaws with your sound advice now.

The actual great thing about Bouchard is he’s already corrected his main flaws. Doesn’t compete? Gone. Bad positioning? Gone. Not a great skater? Gone. And even with any remaining minor flaws he more than makes up with his generational shooting ability and vision. You are looking at one of the Leagues best Defenceman, but your “biases” won’t let you see it. I’d look up your post history on Draisaitl and I bet you’d have had similar “biases” when he first signed his extension or maybe still do.

Sorry, he’s better than Letang.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I really really hope the Oilers win the Cup so their fanbase can drop the red headed step child need for constant vindication and validation.

Bouchard seems to be a great young player coming into his own .. but Cale Makar he is not.

And thats okay.

View attachment 875201
Is the point you're trying to make: Cale Makar is the only Elite D-man in the NHL?

I don't get this American urge to call things like "The Dallas Cowboys of the NHL" (Maple Leafs), "The Texas of Canada" (Alberta), "A poor man's Anze Kopitar" (Draisaitl), ... maybe just understand, analyze, and appreciate the Team, Province, and Players on their own?

Regardless, Cale is an AB boy & AJHL product and the Oilers have Bouchard, we claim them both.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bobby Orr better watch his back at the rate this thread is going ...
We had dumbasses earlier this year saying that Bouchard was an ECHL defenceman that should be sent down and needed McDavid to tie his skates for him.

Nice to see the hyperbole swing back the other way, frankly.

Wanna know how many times Bobby Orr had 20 points in the playoffs? Twice. And never as quickly as Bouchard did.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
He has near generational hockey IQ and patience.

His brain is absolutely his best feature, followed by his shot and passing.

He seems to be aware of how the play is developing in an uncanny way such that he knows exactly when he can take his time and find the right moment to make a play.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That "generational" word gets thrown way too often. Bouchard has no trait that is generational. His IQ is great but let’s not exaggerate.
His production is generational. First player in league history to reach 20 points through 2 rounds.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
His production is generational. First player in league history to reach 20 points through 2 rounds.
Short sample size (12 games). Mike Cammalleri had 13 goals through 2 rounds one time. Pretty sure it was some sort of record as well.

Tell me when he gets 120 pts in the regular season. Then I could agrew about the use of the word "generational"

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Short sample size (12 games). Mike Cammalleri had 13 goals through 2 rounds one time. Pretty sure it was some sort of record as well.

Tell me when he gets 120 pts in the regular season. Then I could agrew about the use of the word "generational"
Okay. If you want to be behind the curve and late to the party, I’ll let you know at a later time.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Don't believe everything you read. Bouchard is not better than Makar, and is not generational. Some people have fan goggles on, and that's ok.
He is having himself a hell of a year. But its only a year. I also don't think Makar is generational either. Last generational Dman the league had imo was Lidstrom. All these new age Dmen have a hell of a long way to go to match Lidstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad