When was the last time you cried because of a playoff loss?

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Ironically it was the same year for me. Kings eliminating Leafs in game 7 of the conference finals. I flicked stations maniacally for about 30 seconds, threw my remote at the TV and started bawling.

Gretzky's greatest game. Remember that one well. If you're going to go down, it might as well be at the hands of the best to lace them up.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
To be honest I've never cried after a playoff loss. Not even as a kid. I did when I was playing organized sports myself after an elimination loss, but never while watching an NHL game. 1996 World Cup loss would be the closest I might have come to shedding a tear. I think if I would have cried anything it would have been tears of joy over Bourque winning the Cup and lifting it in 2001. But even then I didn't. Maybe if I am alive when Lou Gehrig does his "luckiest man in the world" speech in 1939 it would have gotten to me! Other than that, in other sports I am not a Bills fan, I am not a Falcons fan (the comeback against them in the Super Bowl). As a Leaf fan we are pretty battle tested I think. You remember how Al Bundy on Married With Children just sort of shrugged and expected the bad things to happen to him in his daily life? That's sort of me when it comes to the Leafs losing. I just sort of shrug after a loss as if to expect it and if anything it is more relaxing because I don't have that "Will they or won't they" thing. With them being down 3-1 to the Bruins I'd rather see them lose tomorrow night than take it 7 games and lose. Because the faint hope is just not fair! So yeah, no shedding of tears. Mostly annoyance.

Okay, so the closest thing might be Gretzky's last game for me. You can't see your favourite athletes cry. And then Walter comes out on the ice...................oh come on................how can you compete with that?

Reactions: Summer Rose

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Buckner bungle was the most disappointing. You had one job, block the damn ball and we win. Nope.

86 was a crap year overall. We had the Challenger disaster in January, then the Pats got destroyed by the Bears in the Super Bowl, the Bruins got swept by Montreal, then in summer the one bright spot was the Celtics winning it all, and then Red Sox...we know the rest of that story.
The Celtics drafted Len Bias after winning the nba title and he died next day

I watched him at Maryland he was unstoppable and would have joined 4 HOF forwards

Still crushed

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Nope. I was kind of just in shock that they finally won. Took a day or two to set in that they won.
Exactly the same reaction I had. Just couldn't believe it actually happened, the Red Sox won a WS. Something almost nobody alive had seen before

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Eastern final in 2003 I think it was. Friesen scoring late for the Devils against the Sens. I was crushed.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hockey can only bring out that level of positive emotion in me, not negative. I’ve never cried sad tears over a hockey game. I would definitely cry tears of joy if my team won the cup. Last time I teared up watching hockey was seeing Ovi lift the cup

Don't lie you cried when the Rangers traded Kravtsov.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Never. My parents immigrated here with nothing but a few dollars for a better life (or so they and every other Indian parent says :laugh:), so crying over sports feels off.

Blessed to enjoy the show and will save the tears for other things.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
When i was about 9 years old the football team my grandfather coached lost in the first round of the Class AA playoffs after going undefeated in the regular season. I cried my eyes out.

May have cried when I was 10 and lost in the Championship game playing Pop Warner, but I don't remember.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The Buckner bungle was the most disappointing. You had one job, block the damn ball and we win. Nope.

86 was a crap year overall. We had the Challenger disaster in January, then the Pats got destroyed by the Bears in the Super Bowl, the Bruins got swept by Montreal, then in summer the one bright spot was the Celtics winning it all, and then Red Sox...we know the rest of that story.
1) game was already tied. 2) Neither Stanley or Buckner were beating Mookie to the bag. Knight would not have scored on the play, so would have been 5-5, 2 outs, runners on 1st and 3rd.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Didn't cry but was depressed for days.

2011 Game 7 vs Boston in OT. We score that goal and Boston never wins a Cup. Still haunts me to this day.
Pacioretty was also coming back in round 2 had we made it.😔

They always seemed to give those Boston teams fits. In 2011, pacioretty was out but the bigger absence was markov.... yet here they were in game 7 ot against the eventual champs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I didn’t cry, because it’s ridiculous to cry over such a thing, but the 2014 WCF Game 7 OT loss was the biggest gut punch I’ve ever felt in sports. Coming back from 3-1, Kane playing like a legend, it just felt like destiny that they’d beat the Kings and go on to win back to back Cups. Especially in retrospect because they could’ve realistically won 3 in a row and 4 in 6 years, being a true dynasty by anyone’s definition.

But that puck deflected off Leddy’s ass and we lost. It felt like watching Ned Stark die or the Red Wedding. Everything looked like it was back on track and we were in the clear, then it was just all over out of nowhere. Handshake line, better luck next year. Just brutal. All’s well that ends well though! I’ve always loved the Kings and we couldn’t have lost to a more worthy opponent. Great great great series.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
You have a Valencia badge in your pfp but don't understand people having passion for their sports teams? What :laugh:
I don't understand crying over a team that you are only a fan of, meaning having no direct affiliation with the team. Don't care if it's futbol, football, or hockey...I'll never understand those who get this emotionally invested in a game. I've watched athletes my dad coached win olympic medals, I can understand him crying over such an accomplishment and the part he had in their success. Watching random people win or lose a game though? Meh.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
2006: Sharks lose game 6 to Oilers (kid)
2007: Sharks lose game 6 to Red Wings (kid)
2016: Sharks lose game 6 to Penguins (grown ass man)

Pretty surprised by my composure in 2008 when the Stars beat the Sharks in Game 6 4OT, I guess I was used to the pain by then.

I also cried in 2019 after the Sharks beat (survived) the Avalanche in game 7, but I was a bit loopy. Good times.
Bro I think it was 2011? The Sharks were up 3-0 to the Wings and the Wings came back to force game 7. That game 7 loss had me gutted. Felt defeated.

It's losses like this that make the wins so great. If you aren't all in life is boring.

Good thing I was broke back then or I would have bet everything on the Sharks to win a cup. I'm shocked you guys didn't TBH

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Spectator sports aren’t typically my thing to cry over, but the hardest I’ve ever taken a loss was 2009 first round game 7 against Carolina. That entire series was incredibly frustrating and to go from the high of relief of thinking their moving on to having the game tied with a 1:20 to go and then being behind with :32 to go was devastating. I just could not believe the emotional whiplash I experienced, put me off of the devils for the rest of the summer. Came around by puck drop next season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00