When was it the most fun to watch NHL hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When was it the most fun to watch NHL hockey?

• Total voters

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
2005-06.

Coming off the lockout, all 30 teams played opening night. No more ties, no more two-line pass, the neutral zones got smaller, there were more high-scoring games with fun action. I don't particularly like it now, but I loved the shootout in the novelty years, again getting rid of ties was huge.

The TV situation in the States wasn't ideal, but just having the league back was huge.

Oh and the team I like won the Cup.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hard to beat the '90s.

You had Lemieux and Gretzky who are inarguably the two best forwards of all time.

Bourque and Lidstrom who you could argue are 2 and 3 in terms of defensemen.

Brodeur, Hasek, and Roy who are in the top five goaltenders.

You had the great franchises in the Penguins, Red Wings, Devils and Avalanche.

You had NYR winning.

Pretty much untouchable that decade in terms of story lines.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
2006-2017

-Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos
-Grear Dmen like Lidstrom, Weber, Kieth, Doughty, Karlsson
-Flat out GREAT teams which I personally think we see less of today. 08-09 Wings, 2010-15 Hawks, 2012-14 Kings, 2011 Bruins, and the 2016 Pens were all just a ton of fun to watch

But this is the time period when I first started watching so a lot of that love could just be bias. Hockey is amazing and always will be.

Reactions: sanscosm

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Huge fan of the 90’s and I miss a lot of the rough stuff and the stars I grew up watching but the game is so fast and smooth now, it’s hard to watch early to mid 2000’s hockey and get excited.

We were watching a game from Sid’s rookie season which was after the lockout so you’d think it would be fast but it wasn’t. Crazy back then we were marvelling at how fast the game was but it’s like 1.5x speed now. The skill level is incredible and we take it for granted aometimes.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
1993. Mogilny and Lafontaine tearing it up. The rise of Hasek. Mogilny and rookie Selanne both with 76 goals. Mario was on pace to break 200 pts, gets cancer….comes back and still wins the scoring title by scoring at a higher clip post treatment than he was before. Oates with 97 assists, five guys with 60 plus goals and Yzerman/Turgeon at 58. Like 20 guys over 100 pts. Bure one of the guys scoring 60.

Brad May eliminating the Bruins in OT with the May Day goal. Gretzky’s hat trick against the Leafs to eliminate them.

Just a great year from start to finish.

• Love
Reactions: TheStatican

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
No looking back! It's right now, boys!!!
Was about to pick 00-09 because Ovechkin and Crosby were awesome, but what's the point? Already saw it once. :)

I suspect people picking the 90s are doing so for similar reasons... Ahh, nostalgia. You never realize it's the golden years while you're living 'em. ^_^

Jagr
Lindros
Lemieux
Tail end of Gretzky
Forsberg

Good years, but would you really want to change the past?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
90s

The Avs Wings rivalry was majestic and nothing has come close since. Many of my personal favorite players ever at their peak, the game was very physical, stacked superstar teams, even the damn all star game had effort etc.

The current parity league and it's speed/skill game doesn't compete.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
90s were the best of course. Nice mix of offense, defense, goaltending, and physicality

Next would be post lockout 05-13.

I like the offensive side now, but the games lack intensity, hitting, physical play.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If hockey was actually fun to watch nowadays people would talk more about the actual game and less about contracts and cap hits. When people obsess so much over contracts what they're really doing is outing themselves as being bored with the game.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Personally, I had the most fun watching hockey in the 90s. Part of that is probably because I was a kid who rooted for the Penguins and later the Avalanche. Part of it is because I didn't yet have a local team to become invested in to the point that it stopped being entertainment and started affecting my mood (that's why I ended up taking a break from sports to try to get back to where it's just entertainment again).

If hockey was actually fun to watch nowadays people would talk more about the actual game and less about contracts and cap hits. When people obsess so much over contracts what they're really doing is outing themselves as being bored with the game.
I think fantasy sports (and maybe video games) has a role to play in how fans look at the business side of the game so much more. People have fancied themselves amateur GMs, and that has bled over into the actual game. The NHL, imo, is more entertaining now than it was 10 years ago.

Reactions: TheStatican

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Mid to late 80s for sure. Lots of scoring chances as team play was far less structured. Goalies were tiny and pads weighed 120lbs! Skill was in style. The Trap and Left Wing Lock weren’t in place. Lots of hits. Lots of fights. Europeans were entering the league in a big way for the first time. It was just line rush versus line rush again and again. So much fun!

Reactions: Finster8

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Is it just Nostalgia or did the Devils not ruin hockey as much as people say during the 90s?
They did. That’s why I feel instead of decades went by the 5’s
Ie 75-85
85-95
95-05 (most of the years you’re referring)
05-15 ( new rule changes)
15- currently

Reactions: MakeTheGoalsLarger

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The only correct answer is right now. Players are the most athletic, skilled, with the state of the art equipment allowing us to see the best product on the ice ever

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ijuka

May 14, 2016
When there were ties instead of OT/SO that ruin competitive integrity.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
True, but that can also mean any decade from the founding of the NHL through 1980. My favorite decade to watch hockey was the '70s, but the '80s are a very close second, so I went with that.
So, you had the option of voting "other", contrary to what you wrote...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad