When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
There was a fantasy that Yzerman could routinely pick out the next Brayden Point or Nikita Kucherov in the late rounds and build a contender quickly. Also he inherited Stamkos and Hedman and he had nothing in Detroit other than Larkin to build around, who's not on their level.

He's done an ok job, but has the team in no man's land it looks like, trying to save his job with veteran signings. He has Patrick Kane and Vladimir Tarasenko in key top 6 roles right now for example. The contracts they signed are fine, but how does this team contend any time soon with a situation like that?

Arguably the Sharks are in better spot right now going forward and there's been few GMs maligned as much as Grier on these boards. Just need to get lucky in the lottery really if you want to be a contender, the scouting is so good these days impact youngsters go early and Detroit had poor lottery luck.
What kind of revisionist bs is this? Yzerman out of the gate said it's going to be a long slow rebuild, Det fans have known this since Yzerman took the reigns. The only people I see claiming this bs are non-fans and trolls who claim no rebuild takes longer than 3 to 5 years.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What kind of revisionist bs is this? Yzerman out of the gate said it's going to be a long slow rebuild, Det fans have known this since Yzerman took the reigns. The only people I see claiming this bs are non-fans and trolls who claim no rebuild takes longer than 3 to 5 years.
Translation - "GM says give me unlimited time, everything is right on track"

Reactions: Samhockey3

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Most of the criticism of Yzerman is pretty bad faith, and that's coming from a Sens fan who has no love for the Wings.

He took over a team with arguably the worst future of any team in the league. A couple decades of contending and god awful drafting in the 2010s left the Wings with no young stars in the organization beyond Larkin.

It can't be overstated that when Yzerman took over the best young players on the roster were Larkin, Hronek, Bertuzzi and Mantha, and the Wings had just spent their previous 4 1st round picks on Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Cholowski and Svechnikov, with their day 2 drafting being no better.

It shouldn't shock anyone that the Wings haven't made the playoffs yet during his tenure. Would have taken any GM at least half a decade to right the ship.

Where I think he messed up is rushing the rebuild a bit by adding talent in UFA too early. Wings need a few more young stars but their team ended up winning too many games, resulting in their last 3 1sts ending up being 8th (Kasper), 9th (Danielson) and 15th (Brandsegg-Nygard), where it's difficult to find elite talent. I'm also not a huge fan of the Kasper/Danielson picks for them. Both will end up good NHLers, but thought it would have been smarter for them to take swings at guys with higher upside, given their terrible lottery luck (which isn't Yzerman's fault) didn't gift them any elite talent.

Not sure where the Wings go from here. Have the makings of a consistent playoff team once all the young players develop, but it's hard to imagine them taking the next step into contending status.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Most of the criticism of Yzerman is pretty bad faith, and that's coming from a Sens fan who has no love for the Wings.

He took over a team with arguably the worst future of any team in the league. A couple decades of contending and god awful drafting in the 2010s left the Wings with no young stars in the organization beyond Larkin.

It can't be overstated that when Yzerman took over the best young players on the roster were Larkin, Hronek, Bertuzzi and Mantha, and the Wings had just spent their previous 4 1st round picks on Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Cholowski and Svechnikov, with their day 2 drafting being no better.

It shouldn't shock anyone that the Wings haven't made the playoffs yet during his tenure. Would have taken any GM at least half a decade to right the ship.

Where I think he messed up is rushing the rebuild a bit by adding talent in UFA too early. Wings need a few more young stars but their team ended up winning too many games, resulting in their last 3 1sts ending up being 8th (Kasper), 9th (Danielson) and 15th (Brandsegg-Nygard), where it's difficult to find elite talent. I'm also not a huge fan of the Kasper/Danielson picks for them. Both will end up good NHLers, but thought it would have been smarter for them to take swings at guys with higher upside, given their terrible lottery luck (which isn't Yzerman's fault) didn't gift them any elite talent.

Not sure where the Wings go from here. Have the makings of a consistent playoff team once all the young players develop, but it's hard to imagine them taking the next step into contending status.

I think Yzerman's hope is that at some point they'll attract a big fish forward. At least I hope for his sake.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I see some good young prospects who should make NHL. A few core guys that are excellent like seider and Raymond. Then place fillers

Reactions: Coffees

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015

Holland generally got better value for his picks than Yzerman, the only really bad years were 2017 and 2018 but overall was average-above average. He got a top 4 defenseman, and a couple top 6 forwards outside the lottery with not a ton of picks.

Apart from losing Stutzle for Raymond, the draft lottery has not negatively impacted the Red Wings, you're missing out on guys like Turcotte and Hayton. Yzerman should be criticized for not tanking enough, not giving enough opportunities to youth, and mostly terrible day 2 drafting. There's also the nightmare scenario where multiple of Ed, Kasper, and Danielson don't produce much offense at the NHL level.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad