When does ROD start getting criticized?

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
How would you do that? I think their current roster is very much play-off focused with a strong blueline, very good depth, and a strong team structure.
They've never been able to make it to the finals with this core. And the last two times they reached the conference finals they were swept. Just not a tough team to play against IMO.

This year, they're certainly not looking like a team that'll pass the second round either...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They've never been able to make it to the finals with this core. And the last two times they reached the conference finals they were swept. Just not a tough team to play against IMO.

This year, they're certainly not looking like a team that'll pass the second round either...
They won 52 games this year, I watch the other teams feeds and every game starts with the other teams announcers saying “this is a tough team to play against”. They’re clearly one of the best teams in the league. They also are having trouble getting over the hump but they’ve won 8 series over the last 6 years (at least one in every one of those years), let’s not get carried away with the diminishing of this team. Not a lot of teams have done better in that time. It’s not easy to win the cup, or to even win a series.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

You're talking about results. How is that a team that is tough to play against in the regular season isn't tough to play against in the play-off's?

I get the argument about not having game-breakers, or their goaltending being inconsistent due to injuries. I could even get a "Canes tank is empty because they play so hard in the regular season and they don't have another gear to get to come play-off time". But I can't get behind "not a tough to team to play against" because that isn't anything that I see.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
They won 52 games this year, I watch the other teams feeds and every game starts with the other teams announcers saying “this is a tough team to play against”. They’re clearly one of the best teams in the league. They also are having trouble getting over the hump but they’ve won 8 series over the last 6 years (at least one in every one of those years), let’s not get carried away with the diminishing of this team. Not a lot of teams have done better in that time. It’s not easy to win the cup, or to even win a series.
Agreed. Now I am frustrated that it is looking like the Rags are going to bounce us again. This is also arguably the best Ranger team I have seen in my 52 years. Although that '94 was stout to say the least. Anyway while there is no shame in losing to this team, it's still frustrating.

That said, for the first time I am questioning whether Hot Rod is the Coach to get us to Cup land. I still hope he is our coach next season, I am just going to remove the Brind'Amour fan glasses next season. Whatever the hell that means.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agreed. Now I am frustrated that it is looking like the Rags are going to bounce us again. This is also arguably the best Ranger team I have seen in my 52 years. Although that '94 was stout to say the least. Anyway while there is no shame in losing to this team, it's still frustrating.

That said, for the first time I am questioning whether Hot Rod is the Coach to get us to Cup land. I still hope he is our coach next season, I am just going to remove the Brind'Amour fan glasses next season. Whatever the hell that means.
I think most Canes fans on here see that he’s not perfect, and that management doesn’t build the perfect team for him. I think at times they’ve thought they could bring in players and Rod could get them to all play the “right way”. Over his years that hasn’t always happened and I think there’s a disconnect there somewhere. On what players he would want to play the system vs what they can get him.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I don’t always agree with him but I don’t think he’s the problem. This team didn’t seem to be the one before the season even started on paper and even though they’re a dominant regular season team I didn’t have the highest expectations for this squad. I think the timing just wasn’t right. I think the best group with the most chemistry was a few years ago, that group just didn’t have enough firepower yet with kids like Svech and Jarvis not what they are now. Now those guys are hitting their primes but some other pieces are gone and some that stayed have some wear on the tires. Sometimes you can’t control that kind of timing. We have a reshuffle coming over the next two years, we’ll see what that brings.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
After the series loss to the Rangers, it seems like Canes fans are split on whether or not Rod should return.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Marner cried after Babcock made a point about providing effort.
No, he didn't. When Marner was a rookie Babcock forced him to make a rankings list of his Maple Leafs teammates from hardest-working to those he believed didn't have a strong work ethic and then shared it with the team. I don't think he cried though. He may have had tears of rage or embarrassment or something. You might find a report who would make that claim but nothing from anyone involve in the team. Besides, you mentioned stars. Marner had no problem playing for Hunter.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I saw some bits and peices of this one. The canes should have really iced this one, either flubbing golden chances or hitting iron which would have made it 4-1 or even 4-2 at the time.

When I saw them miss so many chances to salt it away, you just got the feeling that it was going to bite them, and it did.

Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

That's true... since this was the last year for this core.. there will be changes..

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I was texting a friend about this a few days ago. I do think Rod the Bod is overrated. He's a good coach, but not like "best coach in the league" level.

His teams play the same way every season, make no adjustments, and then they get bounced the same way every year. He's gotta change, but he won't.

His teams perform well because he is a good motivator and gets maximum effort on a consistent basis. But working harder isn't a recipe for success in the playoffs. Every team is working harder. That edge they had in the regular season doesn't exist.

Again, this work ethic and high pressure makes them very effective in their man-on-man defensive system, but in the playoffs, it's not sustainable. Teams are better, and when those breakdowns occur (your man doesn't take his man), the more skilled playoff teams pick you apart. And that's what happened.

They need to get more shot quality. Despite a massive edge in shot attempts, the Rangers led the series in xG (per SportLogiq, which includes passing data). It's not a coincidence they keep getting "goalied" or "unlucky".

These are all issues that were evident for years, with minimal adjustments made by RBA.

Rod has taken this team farther than it deserves to ever go.

Lets be honest here. The Rangers just have the elite gamebreakers. No amount of hard work or coaching can make up for that talent discrepancy over 7 games.
Guentzel, Aho, Svechnikov are not any less talented than Zibanejad, Kreider, or Trocheck.

They don't have a Panarin-level player, but Panarin really was not a driver in this series.

Rod has to make adjustments to his system to maximize his players. He doesn't and never has. This is a system you'd run with a team full of grinders to probably the same results.

Last edited:
Reactions: norrisnick

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Guentzel, Aho, Svechnikov are not any less talented than Zibanejad, Kreider, or Trocheck.

They don't have a Panarin-level player, but Panarin really was not a driver in this series.

Rod has to make adjustments to his system to maximize his players. He doesn't and never has. This is a system you'd run with a team full of grinders to probably the same results.

But Rangers then have a guy who can challenge for an Art Ross and a Norris winner and a Vezina quality goalie who was the difference in this series.

NYR has much better elite talent yet this series was close. I think the danger is thinking ‘we can’t get over the hump with this coach’ when the coach is a big reason you’re at the hump.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
But Rangers then have a guy who can challenge for an Art Ross and a Norris winner and a Vezina quality goalie who was the difference in this series.

NYR has much better elite talent yet this series was close. I think the danger is thinking ‘we can’t get over the hump with this coach’ when the coach is a big reason you’re at the hump.
Like I said before, I fundamentally disagree. I don't think, on talent, there is much of a gap between the Rangers and Carolina. What NYR does is play a system that leverages the talents of their top players, while RBA plays a system that best maximizes guys like Jordan Martinook.

Per Sportlogiq, the Rangers held the edge in expected goals. It wasn't Shesterkin that was "the difference" in the series.

My opinion on RBA would be different if he had shown any ability to adjust over his tenure. But he hasn't.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad