Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 2020s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Summer of 1993.

I completely missed the Stanley Cup run. I think I became a fan around August of that year.

It was a great time to become a hockey fan, but it was a bad time to become a Kings fan.

Hari

May 24, 2008
i started watching either a KCMJ or KTLA broadcast as a kid in either 87 or 88 at the age of 11. The speed of the game got me hooked. I was the only hockey fan I knew in the Coachella Valley. I got my dad into it and we started going to live games in the 90s.
Hey! I’m another Coachella Valley hockey product here. My dad was a casual fan of the kings having grown up in LA area and I came upon him watching overtime of Kings vs Flames when Mike krushelnyski scored to eliminate the flames. It was 1990. I was hooked from that point. Started playing ice at the Palm Desert town center probably around 1992.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Hey! I’m another Coachella Valley hockey product here. My dad was a casual fan of the kings having grown up in LA area and I came upon him watching overtime of Kings vs Flames when Mike krushelnyski scored to eliminate the flames. It was 1990. I was hooked from that point. Started playing ice at the Palm Desert town center probably around 1992.
Never played at the mall. I played roller hockey at Big League Dreams when the soccer pavilion was a hockey pavilion, haha. Then I started playing ice when the tiny rink opened in the old Helig Myers furniture store. (High shots off the glass turned into breakaways the other way it was so small.) When that closed, I played roller in Corona until Desert Ice Castle opened. played there until Covid closed it and now I play at the Berger Foundation Iceplex. What a long, strange trip its been!

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Got here from Canada in 77, driving from OC up to the GWF to see Buss era.
I was a scoring RW and morphed into a Surf Nut but stayed true to the Crown.
Triple Crown Line was exciting and playoff results were disappointing.
Same with Gretz.
Kopi broke leg in 2011-12.
Golden years were 2012-2014.
Lotta newbie's and guys that never laced em up spouting here it seems.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Got here from Canada in 77, driving from OC up to the GWF to see Buss era.
I was a scoring RW and morphed into a Surf Nut but stayed true to the Crown.
Triple Crown Line was exciting and playoff results were disappointing.
Same with Gretz.
Kopi broke leg in 2011-12.
Golden years were 2012-2014.
Lotta newbie's and guys that never laced em up spouting here it seems.
watchout-badass.gif

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
1. There aren’t a lot of newbies here. I’ve talked Kings hockey with many of the people here for, in some cases 20+ years.

2. Many of the people posting here did or still currently play hockey.

3. Many of those who didn’t play are solid contributors to this community and the fact they didn’t play means nothing. Scotty Bowman did not play professional hockey, Wayne Gretzky is the best player ever. Who you want behind your bench?

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Became a fan the 92-93 season... before the playoffs. Knew very little about the sport and was one of those guys who wore LA Kings gear, cause of the colors.

Had a friend who was a Penguins fan and into hockey. He'd always make fun of the LA Kings and I really had no clue what he was talking about. One day while channel surfing, there was a Kings game on so I was like, let me see what this is about.

Happened to hear the name Gretzky, and I was like, I heard of this guy before, he's suppose to be good or something so I'll check it out. It was vs the Rangers and they lost something like 7-6, but it was super entertaining.

From that day on I was hooked.

They also just happened to go to the SCF that year which made it all the more addicting and exciting. Have been a diehard Kings fan ever since. I once cried real tears because my cable went out during a game.

I will say though, hockey was way more exciting and fun back then vs now.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
1990, freshmen year of high school in SoCal. I played baseball, but needed a sport for fall, so I could take less classes. I tried out for soccer, but failed. Made some friends there who told me there was a roller hockey club team that qualified as a sports elective.

It was there I learned about hockey and became a Kings fan.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
1. There aren’t a lot of newbies here. I’ve talked Kings hockey with many of the people here for, in some cases 20+ years.

2. Many of the people posting here did or still currently play hockey.

3. Many of those who didn’t play are solid contributors to this community and the fact they didn’t play means nothing. Scotty Bowman did not play professional hockey, Wayne Gretzky is the best player ever. Who you want behind your bench?

I am sorry, I don't recognize the avatar?

Exactly who are you?

Share? Share what?

If you are asking if I'll share my pudding cup with you, the answer is

View attachment 744979

Slight chuckle but tell us your HX and don't try another punchline while you are fading.

Remove the over used meme, it killed it.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This is rich.
Guy's like this on the internet come in and wonder why people don't take them seriously and consider them a clown show. SMH. Seriously, no self-awareness whatsoever.
The downside of having the clowns on ignore is that brief half second where you read something like this and wonder if you really missed out on something truly stup-tacular.

Then you regain your senses and move on.

I watched hockey for the first time during the 1988 Olympics and was fascinated. My parents are both from Michigan and my Dad was a Red Wings fan but never took us to the Forum because of the location. The following summer Gretzky was traded to the Kings that changed. My Dad was extremely excited and bought cable for the first time so we could watch the Kings on Prime Ticket. My first game was Game 2 of the first round against the Oilers. Chris Kontos had a hat trick. Ron Dugay threw me a puck during warmups but I didn't catch it and some old dude grabbed it. I'll never forget that night because hockey became my favorite sport. The next year my Dad bought a quarter season of games. This was such a blessing. He had half season tickets for the Angels for years and I loved baseball then but hockey soon replaced it.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I moved to LA for my freshman year at USC on August 9, 1988.
Needless to say it was a big day in Kings history and I was instantly swept up.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Ohhh I love reading others!

For me it was back in 2008, when FIDM created their 3rd jerseys. My friend was attending the school at the time and got free tickets to see them play against the avs. They made me leave early because they were bored but I had them turn it on the radio on the way home just to listen to them lose. I literally knew nothing about hockey prior but for some reason just kind of fell in love with it.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I watched hockey for the first time during the 1988 Olympics and was fascinated. My parents are both from Michigan and my Dad was a Red Wings fan but never took us to the Forum because of the location. The following summer Gretzky was traded to the Kings that changed. My Dad was extremely excited and bought cable for the first time so we could watch the Kings on Prime Ticket. My first game was Game 2 of the first round against the Oilers. Chris Kontos had a hat trick. Ron Dugay threw me a puck during warmups but I didn't catch it and some old dude grabbed it. I'll never forget that night because hockey became my favorite sport. The next year my Dad bought a quarter season of games. This was such a blessing. He had half season tickets for the Angels for years and I loved baseball then but hockey soon replaced it.

This caught my attention, the Forum....and location.....and 80's....holy shit....yea, I remember going mid 80's as a 9-10-11 year old, growing up in Burbank, riding down the 405, into the inner streets of Inglewood, not ashamed to say, I was a bit nervous lmao, of what, no idea, whatever I saw on TV...etc, I remember one time with my Uncle, end of the game we left, the line to go out would have probably taken an hour, 45 minutes something like that he said f*** it, drove over the foliage whatever the hell they had on, over the sidewalk, into the street, and off we went, I had no idea WTF was going on lol, but yea, that area, to me as a kid, was nerve wracking....

As far as the OP.....probably since 78-79, but don't remember much until mid 80's.....

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad