When did the practice of forwards handing stickless defensemen a stick begin?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Rainyvale
In modern hockey, when a defenseman breaks their stick in their own d zone a forward will typically hand them theirs.

Handedness or length does not matter, which can lead to some intriguing moments, particular on the penalty kill.

When did this practice start? I feel like this is a product of the composite stick era but would be curious if there are older examples of this.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Not sure of the origin (probably real early in hockey) but definitely seen this in the nineties before composite sticks. Just seems like common sense, especially in defensive zone situations to hand the stick to a defenseman, so I'd expect this to be a thing from very early on.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not sure, but I started watching in the early 90s and it was already a thing.

Out of the replays I watched for games in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, I just can't recall a time where a player lost their stick. Maybe it wasn't a common occurance?

I seem to remember that the early 2000s were an epidemic for broken sticks.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Maybe the first time a d-man broke his stick?

On a sidenote, Stickless Defensemen was an underrated punk band in the late 70s.

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Rainyvale
Definitely common sense but just curious about when this became coached.

I like to imagine a scenario where an old timey lefty defenseman is confused why a righty is trying to hand him his stick. Or vice versa where a forward is reluctant to give it up.

I seem to remember that the early 2000s were an epidemic for broken sticks.
I imagine a lot of those were two-piece sticks. Only era where those were popular.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
When I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s it was goaltender>d>forward priority when it came to stick in case of a broken one, now it seems less obvious if it did not change for skater sticks > goaltender having one, I think I have seen team that decided to leave the goaltender stickless..... maybe advanced stats showed something about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad