When are we going to be honest with ourselves about how bad Kyle Dubas is?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
The thing with Karlsson is he only comes close to being worth any amount of money if you run your entire offence through him and let him disregard all defensive responsibility, to the detriment of your own team like the Sharks did. No contender is going to do that, and I as a result I doubt he'd be all that valuable even at 50%
What is this based on? The Penguins didn't do that with him last year and he had a good season. Not $10 million good, but good season.

Karlsson put up 56 points in 82 games and ended a +4 last year. I figure almost every contender would love that if they were only on the hook for $5 million as a rental for him.
based on going from 101 points to 56 points maybe? you kinda answered your own question lol

Reactions: JKG33

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
After some serious come-to-jesus soul searching, I am finally ready to admit that Dubas is indeed garbanzo beans. It has taken an arduous road of introspection to reach this point.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Karlsson had just won the freaking Norris trophy and they got him without giving up a ton.

It was a worthwhile risk to take, their core group is just too old and Karlsson I think has a weird thing about not being the absolute alpha on the back end (seemed like in San Jose he only really took off once Burns left).
Karlsson is definitely not an easy player to work with, but if you do decide to work with him, you should accomodate him. He's not doing you any good if you make him be a 50 point generic #2 defenseman. He's not good at that. He needs a free reign and complete freedom. Can't give it to him? Don't trade for him!

If Dubas was going to trade for Karlsson, he needed to clarify this with Sullivan, or fire Sullivan. Karlsson can be very effective, but ONLY if you let him do what he wants, and deal with the repercussions. Otherwise, he's not worth it. He's not going to reinvent himself at his age.

Karlsson is the ultimate "orchid" type player. Either he's amazing, or he's absolutely awful. He requires the right environment.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Karlsson had just won the freaking Norris trophy and they got him without giving up a ton.

It was a worthwhile risk to take, their core group is just too old and Karlsson I think has a weird thing about not being the absolute alpha on the back end (seemed like in San Jose he only really took off once Burns left).

Everyone knew that move wasn’t going to be enough to make them competitive and just created a 10 years of darkness future for them

They had nothing in the prospect pool, refused to retool it and made an all in move that was never going to be enough

So yeah great vision and congrats for Karlsson winning the Norris!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad