When are we going to be honest with ourselves about how bad Kyle Dubas is?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One additional point about the Penguins coaching staff: according to rumors from the Pittsburgh media, Sullivan was adamant about Rierden not being fired last off-season despite the Penguins finishing with the 30th ranked PP last year at 15.3% after adding Karlsson. The only way Sullivan would allow Rierden to be fired was if he could pick the assistant, which he ended up doing by hiring his friend David Quinn to replace Rierden despite Quinn having no experience as a PP coach.

Dubas has made some clearly shitty moves with the Penguins, with the Graves and Jarry deals being the big ones, but I think people need to look at the Penguins situation in the correct context. They have a head coach with an absurd amount of power for the job he has done in the past few years, I do not know of another team in the NHL that has a head coach with the power in the organization that Sullivan has. Let alone getting into the "undeserved" discussion of that power.

I know why Dubas accepted the Penguins position ($$$$), but the position itself seems like it was not an attractive position to be taking. The Penguins were an old and declining team that wanted to ignore that reality and had a coach that arguably had more power/sway on the owners than the GM. Had he come in with the correct mindset of "this team needs to rebuild, I want to tear this team down", I honestly don't know that he even would have been hired in the first place.

Reactions: AD1066 and Duffy13

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He builds hockey teams in the same way I tried to stack my roster in NHL 2003. There is less a cohesive vision and more fulfilling a big name infatuation.

Even this summer, why is he adding a guy like Grzelcyk to that defense? Why isn’t he adding players who can…I don’t know…play defense? It’s not like they have a good goalie tandem to bail them out.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Give Sullivan everything he wants, let him fail spectacularly, rake in those stacks of FSG bills until it's time to tear this team down!!!

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He inherited

Kadri 4x4.5M

Matthews + Nylander + Marner on ELCs

I believe Rielly was at 4.5M at that time too

Signed old man Marleau, then attached a 1st to dump him (Seth Jarvis was the pick)

Had the Konecny draft pick in 2015, so many elite options. Traded back for Dermott

Traded Kadri for Kerfoot + Barrie, literally might be the worst trade in franchise history

I liked the Muzzin acquisition and Knies pick, but overall he was dog shit and has continued to do the same in Pittsburgh.

Forgot LOL signed Tavares for 11M, when we had Matthews as the 1C + Kadri as the 2C on a steal of a contract, when the defence needed work.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
He inherited

Kadri 4x4.5M

Matthews + Nylander + Marner on ELCs

I believe Rielly was at 4.5M at that time too

Signed old man Marleau, then attached a 1st to dump him (Seth Jarvis was the pick)

Had the Konecny draft pick in 2015, so many elite options. Traded back for Dermott

Traded Kadri for Kerfoot + Barrie, literally might be the worst trade in franchise history

I liked the Muzzin acquisition and Knies pick, but overall he was dog shit and has continued to do the same in Pittsburgh.

Forgot LOL signed Tavares for 11M, when we had Matthews as the 1C + Kadri as the 2C on a steal of a contract, when the defence needed work.
Creepy ex stalker vibes here... yikes

Reactions: sanscosm

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
“The issue is Shanahan won’t let him trade any of the core four”

“The issue is ownership won’t let him fire Sullivan”

Amazing how this guy keeps getting promotions and manages to continue to convince people that nothing is ever his fault and is actually his bosses fault. Why does he even have a job?

With Dubas it's always some grown up in the room who won't let him do what he really wants, whatever that might be...

I said it at the time when Kypreos was reporting that Fenway might try and poach Dubas that going to Pittsburgh would be a terrible hockey move and the real smart play for Kyle would be to go to Ottawa (his childhood team) that had undergone a full rebuild with new ownership taking over. But on the other hand it sounds like he wants to go full multi-sport conglomerate overlord so this really just goes back to Kyle building Kyle's own brand more than anything else so Fenway probably is the right move.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
That's my point though, Karlsson just cannibalizes Letang in that offense because they both offer the same thing.

Is that like when he signed Tavares for 11 MILLION A YEAR, when he had Matthews and Kadri on ELC and a long-term sweetheart deal? And then he traded Kadri for 1 year of Tyson Barrie. :biglaugh:

It’s been beaten into the ground for years. He might have made a good pre-cap GM but we’re ~20 years into the cap era now and he’s not good at cap management or finding high value depth.

The goof grew up in the early 2000s cheering for the Senators as the Leafs punked them every year in the playoffs. And that's exactly how he shaped the Leafs when he was GM. He would've been even worse pre-cap.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Knowing what the worst GM in our teams history did to destroy the teams chance at competing for a cup, gives you creepy ex stalker vibes ?

Your post reeks of saltiness, glad that moron Dubas isn't our problem anymore
There's so many former Leaf GMs vying for the Worst GM in franchise history, Burke, JFJ, Nonis

yet since Quinn 20 years ago there has been 10 playoff appearances and 1 divisional title...

What GM had 5 playoff appearance and the single Divisional title?

Dubas is the only GM in the past 20 years of leaf history that even gave you a chance at winning anything

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
There's so many former Leaf GMs vying for the Worst GM in franchise history, Burke, JFJ, Nonis

yet since Quinn 20 years ago there has been 10 playoff appearances and 1 divisional title...

What GM had 5 playoff appearance and the single Divisional tile?
None compare to Dubas, he inherited the best core by far and completely crippled it. I get it, you're part of the Jonas Siegal, Mirtle and Dubas club, but he sucks. If you think he's doing a good job in Pittsburgh or did a good job in Toronto then great for you.

Reactions: Voight

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
None compare to Dubas, he inherited the best core by far and completely crippled it. I get it, you're part of the Jonas Siegal, Mirtle and Dubas club, but he sucks. If you think he's doing a good job in Pittsburgh or did a good job in Toronto then great for you.
aaaaaaand say you are talking out the other end without opening your mouth

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There are more leafs fans left that believe in him than pens fans, and those leaf fans are maybe a handful. And the pens were going to get worse anyway, noone was going to save that sinking ship.
You know what does help save a sinking ship sooner? Keeping your draft picks instead of trading them for a player you already have on your roster

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
You know what does help save a sinking ship sooner? Keeping your draft picks instead of trading them for a player you already have on your roster

All the players he moved for Karlsson were tradeable or expired after 1 season anyways. Now the Penguins are stuck with that immovable Andre the Giant contract. However, when you control Karlsson with your Sony Playstation controller he can play like a winner.

Not that it matters though because he would've wasted that cap space with more Jarry or Graves contracts.

Reactions: joestevens29

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Leafs fans would blame everything and anything before any of the players for their generation of losing.

It truly is amazing.

• Love

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I think it's premature to judge Dubas when he's really only enacted half of his master plan.

Step 1: Acquire the most headline-grabbing player on the market that doesn't really fit the team's most pressing needs. Check

Step 2: Hire Sheldon Keefe as coach. Aww dangit the Devils got him first! Now what am I gonna do?!?!?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Hayes hasn't even been that bad. Beauvillier is useless and Glass has been fine on the 4th line. The issue is coaching. When the coach keeps forcing Rust to work with Crosby and then tries the bare minimum to get players going as well as random idiotic healthy scratches and line up decisions, it makes a lot look worse. Puljujarvi goes from having a good game vs Detroit to being a healthy scratch for literally no reason.

The Pens system has been shit for years, he refuses to make adjustments and when he says he has he refuses to answer questions by the media about what they were.

This is a team that is just coached so poorly. The players look lost trying to play a system that doesn't make sense and is designed to run into walls with no adjustments. When Sid is talking about how bad he's playing defensively and needs to be better, yet the coach doesn't make any adjustments to the way they play or the lines to fix any of it, the blame is the GM? To do what? Beg the idiotic ownership to let him fire Sullivan?

Sullivan, let me remind you, went over his previous Gm's head to negotiate and sign his own extension.

If we're going to say Dubas is dumb, he's dumb for taking the GM job that he never was hired for. He will be another Sullivan casualty like JR, Burke, Hextall, Gonchar, Martin, Recchi, and Reirden.

It's not the coaches fault that he doesn't have enough depth at forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad