What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This idea sucks, why punish grown adults who can make a living in any other capacity? It's 18 for a reason, I'd you're a legal adult by the time training camp starts (Sept 15) you're able to play.

Look at what Crosby was able to accomplish at 18-19, McDavid too. Both of those guys were league MVPs before 20. Stamkos won a rocket at age 19 Matthews had 40 goals. MacKinnon was the best player in a playoff series, Pat Kane had 70 pts, Laine had 40 goals etc.
Lots of players are starts at 18/19 , including multiple award winners, why would we force those guys to wait an extra 2 years?

It's supposed to be a league for the best players , excluding elite 18/19 year olds would rob the league of star players, it's fine where it is
What I'd like to see is NHL GMs be more responsible with high picks, specifically those 1st and 2nd overall picks that are not developed properly. Most 1 OA picks still need development at the lower levels.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
The offside rule was created at a time when the game needed it. It made sense in 1929. It's really bad for the speed-based 2023 game.

Change it so that a puck carrier can always enter the zone no matter what. You should only be offside if you receive a pass that crosses the blueline while you're offside.

This will accomplish the following:

- end 3-4 man stacks at the blueline as non-puck carrying attackers can enter the zone early and pull defenders with them, giving the carrier more room to enter, thus reducing dump and chase hockey

- increases the importance of wingers, who are currently a bit less important on average than the other positions. This would give them responsibilities more akin to soccer forwards who make creative runs and football WRs who have to run complex routes.

- ultimately generates more offense without messing with goalie equipment or introducing penalty rule gimmicks that would ultimately give more power to refs.

Last edited:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
This idea sucks, why punish grown adults who can make a living in any other capacity? It's 18 for a reason, I'd you're a legal adult by the time training camp starts (Sept 15) you're able to play.

Look at what Crosby was able to accomplish at 18-19, McDavid too. Both of those guys were league MVPs before 20. Stamkos won a rocket at age 19 Matthews had 40 goals. MacKinnon was the best player in a playoff series, Pat Kane had 70 pts, Laine had 40 goals etc.
Lots of players are starts at 18/19 , including multiple award winners, why would we force those guys to wait an extra 2 years?

It's supposed to be a league for the best players , excluding elite 18/19 year olds would rob the league of star players, it's fine where it is
I’ll argue this until the end of time. This idea does not suck at all, in fact, you suck. Drafting players at 18 is asinine. Very few players are immediately able to make an impact and you don’t even know what you have in a player until 20. It will improve scouting ten fold.

Maybe you can make an exception for exceptional players, but I think 18 is just too young for various reasons.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I’ll argue this until the end of time. This idea does not suck at all, in fact, you suck. Drafting players at 18 is asinine. Very few players are immediately able to make an impact and you don’t even know what you have in a player until 20. It will improve scouting ten fold.

Maybe you can make an exception for exceptional players, but I think 18 is just too young for various reasons.
Nah 18 is fine, they get their signing bonuses and money and most times they don't actually play at 18. Needing an exception is not needed, if they're good enough they're good enough. "Very few players" There is usually one every year, some players who were easily able to make the jump pre draft

- Crosby (MVP at 19)
- Kane (calder and 70+ pts)
- Stamkos (rocket at 19)
- Doughty (olympic gold in his 2nd year)
- Tavares (led isles in pts as rookie)
- Duchene (55 pts)
- Hedman
- O'Reilly
- Hall
- Seguin (all-star in 19 yo season)
- RNH (52 pts 62 gp)
- Landeskog (Calder)
- MacKinnon (Calder, 10 pts in a series)
- Ekblad (Calder)
- McDavid (MVP in 19yo season)
- Eichel
- Matthews (Calder, 40 goals and 2nd in league)
- Laine (36 and 42 goals in teenage seasons)
- Hischier (50+ pts)
- Dahlin
- Stutzle

All of these guys were easily able to make NHL rosters right out of the draft many were stars by 19 and a few even superstars. Keeping the best players in the world out of the league and not allowing adults to earn their money in the top league is stupid. In the NBA you need to be 1 year removed from HS which is often 19, even that I don't like but 20 is asinine. The draft is a crapshoot but it means you need to do your homework more, and pushing it to 20 would only make is slightly less of one anyway. Teams who are good at scouting/developing players can reap the benefits of that. Needing an "exception" to play is the dumbest thing ever, no team would sign off on that because for instance this year the Blackhawks would be pushing for said exemption for Bedard and no other team would want it, because they would want their shot at him when he was eligible.

Its been 18 forever and its great, I love it when a player can come in at 18 and be a star, not allowing players like Crosby/McDavid to play in the league when they are literally the best players in the world would be a tragedy, because both were already MVPs at 19, Matthews/Laine were 40 goal scorers, Stammer won a hart, Kane was a 70 pt guy, MacKinnon 60+ pts and an amazing playoff series, etc. The league wants the best players to be playing there's no reason to keep them out of the league. If a guy isn't ready at 18 you can send him down, nobody is forcing you to play 18 year olds.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not to mention "counting stats" like pitcher wins were often used to judge how good a player was. Certain guys who either played on really good teams or had long careers weren't as good as most fans thought they were.

...... :huh:
Rolston was pretty good for the Bruins when they got him that trade deadline for nothing.

The Rangers PP under Torts was a meme that season. Rolston played the point.

The Rangers were playing essentially 5D and between 10-11 forwards that entire run. Dubinsky was injured and came back at like 45%. Steve Emminger who separated his shoulder a few months prior made a cameo as a fourth line winger. They were gassed by the ECF.

Rolston as a warm body and mostly for his point work on the PP gives them a sprinkle of extra offense, not a lot but just enough where they don't have to go 7 games all the time, and that little extra depth to keep them fresh. Rolston was a slow skater but for that Torts system it didn't mean much.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Nah 18 is fine, they get their signing bonuses and money and most times they don't actually play at 18. Needing an exception is not needed, if they're good enough they're good enough. "Very few players" There is usually one every year, some players who were easily able to make the jump pre draft

- Crosby (MVP at 19)
- Kane (calder and 70+ pts)
- Stamkos (rocket at 19)
- Doughty (olympic gold in his 2nd year)
- Tavares (led isles in pts as rookie)
- Duchene (55 pts)
- Hedman
- O'Reilly
- Hall
- Seguin (all-star in 19 yo season)
- RNH (52 pts 62 gp)
- Landeskog (Calder)
- MacKinnon (Calder, 10 pts in a series)
- Ekblad (Calder)
- McDavid (MVP in 19yo season)
- Eichel
- Matthews (Calder, 40 goals and 2nd in league)
- Laine (36 and 42 goals in teenage seasons)
- Hischier (50+ pts)
- Dahlin
- Stutzle

All of these guys were easily able to make NHL rosters right out of the draft many were stars by 19 and a few even superstars. Keeping the best players in the world out of the league and not allowing adults to earn their money in the top league is stupid. In the NBA you need to be 1 year removed from HS which is often 19, even that I don't like but 20 is asinine. The draft is a crapshoot but it means you need to do your homework more, and pushing it to 20 would only make is slightly less of one anyway. Teams who are good at scouting/developing players can reap the benefits of that. Needing an "exception" to play is the dumbest thing ever, no team would sign off on that because for instance this year the Blackhawks would be pushing for said exemption for Bedard and no other team would want it, because they would want their shot at him when he was eligible.

Its been 18 forever and its great, I love it when a player can come in at 18 and be a star, not allowing players like Crosby/McDavid to play in the league when they are literally the best players in the world would be a tragedy, because both were already MVPs at 19, Matthews/Laine were 40 goal scorers, Stammer won a hart, Kane was a 70 pt guy, MacKinnon 60+ pts and an amazing playoff series, etc. The league wants the best players to be playing there's no reason to keep them out of the league. If a guy isn't ready at 18 you can send him down, nobody is forcing you to play 18 year olds.
You have listed 21 players in a span of 18 years that have played well in their 18 year old season. Over 3,700 players have been drafted since 2005 and over 500 first rounders. Those aren’t great numbers.

I’d like to increase the odds of drafting NHL players and assuring their immediate impact in the NHL. There is way too much uncertainty with 18 years olds. The jumps from 18 to 19 to 20 are staggering and give you a much greater picture of the player’s potential. As previously stated, like in the CHL, players may be granted exceptional player status. However, the draft age would be set at 20.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
You have listed 21 players in a span of 18 years that have played well in their 18 year old season. Over 3,700 players have been drafted since 2005 and over 500 first rounders. Those aren’t great numbers.

I’d like to increase the odds of drafting NHL players and assuring their immediate impact in the NHL. There is way too much uncertainty with 18 years olds. The jumps from 18 to 19 to 20 are staggering and give you a much greater picture of the player’s potential. As previously stated, like in the CHL, players may be granted exceptional player status. However, the draft age would be set at 20.
Again, exceptional player status would never work in the NHL and the other teams would block any efforts when a generational type player comes in.

It's fine the way it is, no need to have players come in right away, but it's good to have the option. 20 is just too old, they're adults, let them get paid

Reactions: Voight

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
1. We shouldn't sing the national anthems. It's completely arbitrary. Why don't we also sing the national anthem before a film at a movie theatre, or before chowing down a meal at McDonalds?

2. While Patrick Kane is not better than Sidney Crosby, he's closer to him than what some people will admit.

3. Joe Thornton deserved to be in the NHL100.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
While the Nords/Avs won the Eric Lindros trade, those who say it was lopsided and even led to their 2 cup wins based on what happened down the line have a shallow understanding of trades and trade trees. It's mostly a contrived narrative because I will admit it does make for an attractive story.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
These were the greatest Maple Leafs uniforms of all-time.

Clark-Wamsley-1200x842.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: JKG33

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Since draft at 18 was part of a right-to-work case brought by Ken Linseman against the league that he won, unless the league decides to challenge that court ruling with appeals, it doesn't have a legal standing to make the change. The players association is unlikely to support it, even with the low number of total players who make it at that age.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The NHL is trying to build the game in the view of the minority of fans that want fighting and big hits removed in the hopes to attract other like minded fans, but when you ask non hockey fans what they like most about it, it's how fast, or violent and tough it is.

They want to see more big hits and fights. The minority fans want to see less, or none at all.

The skill game seems to remain constant in the game regardless of physicality, but enjoyment of games is less, as there's less going on.

NHL needs animosity back, but a better DoPS for when a player goes across the line.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hockey is a simple game, and skating is not difficult.
True enough that's why at age 20 I decided to not try out for my local Vancouver Canucks despite never really learning to skate of having ever played organized hockey and that's the real reason the Canucks never won the SC....

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The NHL is trying to build the game in the view of the minority of fans that want fighting and big hits removed in the hopes to attract other like minded fans, but when you ask non hockey fans what they like most about it, it's how fast, or violent and tough it is.

They want to see more big hits and fights. The minority fans want to see less, or none at all.

The skill game seems to remain constant in the game regardless of physicality, but enjoyment of games is less, as there's less going on.

NHL needs animosity back, but a better DoPS for when a player goes across the line.
It got worse when they insisted on every team playing each other once a season. Now you only see your division rivals 4 times instead of 8. If I want to see McDavid or Crosby I'll watch them on tv. I'd rather see rivalries come back. It's getting harder and harder now that we're closer to 3 dozen teams than 2

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
-Rangers acquire Brian Rolston for the 2012 trade deadline and they win the Cup (yes I'm waiting for LOLs and I have thoughts and an answer ready).

-NHL should go back to the 1-16, 2-15, 3-14 playoff format.
first-round East vs West matchups coud be a nice way to change things up.

then again, why change things up, the first round is already the best part

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Players in general need to implement dirty defensive tactics if shitheads are just gonna be running amok.

eg. sticking the buttend of your stick out if you know some loser is flying in with an elbow to the head.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm fine with how the draft age is now but I would actually be in favor of trying out a lower draft age like 17 or 16

raising the draft age would just help teams that are bad at drafting by taking a bunch of projection out of it, would lowering it do the opposite?

it could just make it too much of a crapshoot and just end up helping out bad drafting teams like raising it would(albeit for the opposite reasons) but I wouldn't mind lowering it and seeing how it goes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad