Whats wrong with Petro

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
To start this is not a lets bash Petro thread. Lets take time to dig down and try and figure out what the hell is going on with our Captain. Over the last few year most have argued he is a Norris Caliber Defenseman. This year he looks like he has never played D before. Mental lapses in the DZ. What are your thoughts on the issues.

IMO.. I have no real clue it could be the pressure of being C or maybe it is the new babies he has at home, or it could be that whatever new scheme they put in place he cannot play or adapt too. I could be way off base and he will turn it around and be the stud he always has been, but from everything I have seen something is really off with him. And to be honest its not just him, CP55 also looks really lost. But I want to focus in Petro for now so fire away..

Reactions: Bendak

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Yeo's crappy defensive structure is making everybody look bad. Being a new father and the weight that comes with it probably doesn't help. I get flashbacks to when Luongo's stats fell off a cliff the year after when he got married. Pietro needs to wake up but Yeo needs to put him in a position to succeed.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kids? :dunno: vladdy also seemed to have trended down after his kid. Now I honestly dont believe that as they are multi millionaires and shouldnt have the same day to day worries and grind as normal people.

Early season slump, hell get out of it.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Sometimes good players have slow starts. He’s proven himself to be a top 10 defenseman in the league, I’m not too worried about him.

Reactions: shmotz and Bendak

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He's had rough starts in the past. I remember when Karlsson won his first Norris the next season Pietrangelo clearly tried to push the play offensively more to start the season and was an absolute disaster. Once he settled down and played his game he was great again. That play on the PK is something we've seen him do a thousand times. As soon as he stopped that puck in the corner we all knew he was going to go high right up the middle right out of the zone and kill the rest of the penalty. Then he didn't. Whether it got caught along the boards or whatever I don't know, but that's a play he knows how to make. He didn't suddenly forget. Now that's not his only misplay on the season, far from it, but I'm not too concerned. He'll get it figured out.

Reactions: Bendak and Brian39

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Not overly concerned about anything from this season. I am disappointment but willing give them 10 games or so to figure themselves. Petro looks fine with Edmundson as a partner, Bo and Dunn playing like complete crap has gotten him off his game, looks like he is trying to do too much, which players tend to do when they feel like they have to compensate for bad line-mates.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don’t even think Pietro has looked particularly bad so far...he’s been just OK. But our defensive scheme is trash.

Also, Parayko has looked fantastic. MUCH more physical and a more shoot first mentality IMO.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I don’t even think Pietro has looked particularly bad so far...he’s been just OK. But our defensive scheme is trash.

Also, Parayko has looked fantastic. MUCH more physical and a more shoot first mentality IMO.

I will agree with the second half of your statement a little more physical and shoot first, but some of the play in the DZ he also has looked lost. Maybe I just had to high of expectations for this team over all. But after watching these first few games and some of the goals they have given up.. I don't blame the goalies at all. I blame the lackluster play from the D-men. and at times it just looks like Petro is lost out there. and I agree he may be over compensating for others in the zone. But he as the C should step up and go to Yeo and tell him whatever in the hell they are doing its not working.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll echo that Parayko looks completely fine, he doesn't look "lost" at all. There's a lot wrong with the team right now but some of you are only seeing what you want to see.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I'm of the opinion that Pietrangelo along with the majority of the team are gripping their sticks a little too tight here in the early going. Players that have been with the organization for more than a few years now certainly know the frustrations of Blues fans the past 52 years. Couple that with an off-season full of hype and expectations, on top of Yeo's overbearing intensity and unpredictability behind the bench and here we are. I think it will bode well for this team to get on the road for 3 games and hopefully loosen up and dial their game in.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I think Petro is spending too much time trying to do the job of the forwards. He is having to make plays in the O zone when the forwards are drifting around. In the D zone the same thing is happening and he is having to cover two and three players or zones at once. Yeo has the forwards having no clue where to be or what to do. To think we all thought he would be Hitchcock 2.0, all D.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think Petro is spending too much mental and physical energy on his new triplets. Totally unacceptable.
Good grief. None of us know anything about his home situation. Does he have a live-in nanny? Grandma? Both? This comment is totally unacceptable. I sure hope this was an attempt at sarcasm.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
hes a creampuff defenseman and a terrible leader.

he will likely get out of this rut sometime but ive never been a fan of his leadership or physicality.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
I really think this coaching staff is to blame. All they do is collapse down low and hope to block the shot. Breakout relies on stretch passes that are ending up as icings most the time. This team has too much talent to pray the long passes get through.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think he is trying to do too much. I disagree with questioning his leadership. You can see his passion when he is being interviewed, as well as his frustration. The guy really cares about this team. To my eye test, it looks like the team is struggling with a new system, and Pietrangelo is running around trying to hold things together when it breaks down. The new system has to go, then the captain will be fine. FWIW, I was angry with him after the Benn incident, but I was more concerned about of him not sticking up for himself personally than failing to provide leadership.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I take peoples hot takes on here about leadership with a large pinch of salt. Unless you're a member of that team, can recite multiple interviews/Q&As, etc that can show what kind of leader they are, you know nothing.

Wait... how did I get here? Did this thread get moved from the main board? :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad