What's the odds on Draisaitl making the team?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Skating 2 days/week and working out 5 days/week is a lot? :laugh:

If he's balancing that while having a fulltime job, then yes. But we have to remember here. He's getting 8 hours of sleep/day bare minimum plus naps between workout sessions and activities. On top of that, he's 18. Kids recover faster around his age.

All this talk about Draisaitl is really making me excited for camp!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Edmonton fails to make a deal to bring in another center, there's a 99.99999% chance that LD will be an Oiler next season.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Just a question on Draisaitl, could he be loaned to a team in Europe like say the DEL of FEL for example? He might not be NHL level yet but the hybrid ice of FEL can help him stay within the NA ice while playing a physical brand of hockey against men. DEL would be a good choice as well as it is a good league in his home country. Both options offer for sure better competition than playing junior.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just a question on Draisaitl, could he be loaned to a team in Europe like say the DEL of FEL for example? He might not be NHL level yet but the hybrid ice of FEL can help him stay within the NA ice while playing a physical brand of hockey against men. DEL would be a good choice as well as it is a good league in his home country. Both options offer for sure better competition than playing junior.

DEL is a pretty bad league. I believe he can be loaned to the FEL/SEL/KHL etc. But there is really no reason. The FEL places on a bigger ice surface and he likely wont see good development minutes.

The WHL allows him to play 20+ mins a game, the NHL allows the team to develop him properly and insulate him how they want.

I wouldnt mind loaning some D prospects to the KHL tho to play more minutes

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
DEL is a pretty bad league. I believe he can be loaned to the FEL/SEL/KHL etc. But there is really no reason. The FEL places on a bigger ice surface and he likely wont see good development minutes.

The WHL allows him to play 20+ mins a game, the NHL allows the team to develop him properly and insulate him how they want.

I wouldnt mind loaning some D prospects to the KHL tho to play more minutes

DEL isn't a bad league it's higher than ECHL level and a bit lower than AHL but still better than junior. FEL is good because it is very physical hockey and there are rinks with close to NHL dimensions.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I honestly don't think we've rushed anyone.

6th and 8th picks like Monahan and Nichuskhin get to play right away these days, how can you really justify sending RNH back after 9 games where he led the entire team in scoring? Colorado played Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon all immediately too, hell even O'Reilly played right out of his draft year I think and he's a 2nd round pick, lol ... why isn't there a problem there?

Hall was ready to play and there's noting the OHL would teach Yakupov either.

Paajarvi is the one I think that could've had an arguement for staying back another year, but he honestly played as well as Hall and Eberle in his pre-season stint here.

We almost made the playoffs in Gagner's rookie season.

The difference is in Gagner's rookie year the team had a good d-corps, OK goaltending, and forwards that did a lot of dirty work (Stoll, Glencross, Torres, Horcoff for a while).

Our issue is we haven't had a roster anywhere near that complete since.

Even though Joni Pitkanen was a headcase, his impact on the d-corps and moving the puck was really underrated too I think. Our record with him in the lineup vs. him out was pretty substantially different as I recall.

completely agree. The logic comes from successes of teams like Detriot, but Detriot never has high picks. They don't rush their 3rd and 4th rounders, but there is no way any of those guys are ready. We do the same as every other team in the league, which is let players play when they are NHL ready. LD has nothing left to do at the WHL level, he should be an oiler next year.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
completely agree. The logic comes from successes of teams like Detriot, but Detriot never has high picks. They don't rush their 3rd and 4th rounders, but there is no way any of those guys are ready. We do the same as every other team in the league, which is let players play when they are NHL ready. LD has nothing left to do at the WHL level, he should be an oiler next year.

Pretty much. The problems are whom we drafted after the 1st round and the supporting cast years after years, with these players here.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Very high.

Regardless of whether he should improve in the AHL or not, we have crap all for center depth, meaning his odds of staying on the Oilers are extremely high.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Pretty much. The problems are whom we drafted after the 1st round and the supporting cast years after years, with these players here.

ya, nothing is wrong with who we have drafted in the first round and how they got to the NHL. our problem is our low round picks never get there and the rest of the team has been crap. I am hopefull with the additions of Nikitin, Fayne, MAP, and Purcell that we can finally have a good supporting cast around our high picks.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
ya, nothing is wrong with who we have drafted in the first round and how they got to the NHL. our problem is our low round picks never get there and the rest of the team has been crap. I am hopefull with the additions of Nikitin, Fayne, MAP, and Purcell that we can finally have a good supporting cast around our high picks.

Yeah, from drafting horrible players like Abney, Pouliot, etc made the team even worse for the future. I'm hopeful as well. A team that actually has nhl caliber talent, along with a whole lot better D corps compared to years in the past makes me a little hopeful. Playoffs? Doubt it. But a good strong season? Very likely.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, from drafting horrible players like Abney, Pouliot, etc made the team even worse for the future. I'm hopeful as well. A team that actually has nhl caliber talent, along with a whole lot better D corps compared to years in the past makes me a little hopeful. Playoffs? Doubt it. But a good strong season? Very likely.

ya, I see us getting out of the bottom 10, which is good enough. maybe out side shot at the playoffs. We improved big time in Net, add two legit top 4 D men, and added much needed size and veteran presence up front. Exiting to see what can happen this year.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
ya, I see us getting out of the bottom 10, which is good enough. maybe out side shot at the playoffs. We improved big time in Net, add two legit top 4 D men, and added much needed size and veteran presence up front. Exiting to see what can happen this year.

Good goaltending can do us wonders. I have a lot more relief with a duo of Scrivens/Fasth then I did with Dubnyk/ Labarbera. Lots to be excited about for the lineup ; for sure. However that can crash with Eakins coaching :laugh: . Hopefully he'll listen to Ramsay. I have a feeling Ramsay will be the huge key in helping not only our D, but our players as well. The guy is so knowledgeable when it comes to hockey and what fits players. I hope he'll properly utilize Yakupov on the PP as well. :yo:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
If he makes the team, I sure as **** hope they shelter him on the third line. Even if that means Arco as our second line center. (Oh god. :cry:)

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If he makes the team, I sure as **** hope they shelter him on the third line. Even if that means Arco as our second line center. (Oh god. :cry:)

God no. I like Arco, but as a suitable 2C? No thanks. One hit from Doughty took him out for a few games. Imagine anybody else in our division. Especially the big players. And no Draisaitl on the 2nd line either!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The Oilers have pretty good wingers and Draisaitl should definitely start on the wing to break him into the NHL so he shouldn't make the team.

He will though, and they will play him at center because the Oilers believe in deep end of the pool development model.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
We will have lines with Perron, Pouliot, Yak and Purcell on the wings - Drai and Arco are most likely going to be the Cs, unless Lander has an incredible summer. I am actually comfortable with this. Oilers will rely on pp and better defense and G to win games next year. I think Draisaitl will really impress people.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
God no. I like Arco, but as a suitable 2C? No thanks. One hit from Doughty took him out for a few games. Imagine anybody else in our division. Especially the big players. And no Draisaitl on the 2nd line either!

Oh, he certainly isn't suitable. A trade to shore up the second line centre position is ideal, I'd just rather see Arco get schooled on the second line and have LD in the best position to succeed. It certainly isn't my first choice of scenarios.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Arco can't be the #2C because he got hit hard once by Doughty? Worst reason I've heard yet.

Brodin got hurt by Hall in the AHL during the lockout. No way he can be a top 4 Dman...

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Arco can't be the #2C because he got hit hard once by Doughty? Worst reason I've heard yet.

Brodin got hurt by Hall in the AHL during the lockout. No way he can be a top 4 Dman...

He isn't a 2C on any ideal NHL team. How is it a "worse reason" when its true? Doughty is among the many of big players in our division. Can Arco even withstand a full season without getting injured from any of them? If Nuge somehow gets injured, he's relied on 1C? No thanks. Brodin also had the luxury of playing with Suter as well. A C corp of RNH, Arco, Draisaitl, and Gordon is just terrible.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I don't think going back to junior will hurt his development. If he isn't on the NHL team I think he's much better off in juniors continuing to play the NA game and being close to the Oilers development staff and management so they can provide input and advice throughout the season.

I think you are better off having him here than over seas.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think Yak 2.0 will surprise people . I think his game is suit for the NHL better then the KHL . If he makes the team and has some offensive production in preseason He could be a 3rd line C this year . He might be on the team as well LD . Then there is Landers who had a break out year in the AHL . There still time to add a 2c stop gap once Schultz has been signed . But i think right now Mac T will let them compete for a starting job and make adjustments if none are ready . Mac T will not sit on his hands and we only need 1 of these guys to make a Jump in their development .

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I still think that MacT will bring in someone, somehow, as a 2C. If not, and judging from what MacT has recently said about player development, I'd think Eakins would get the prime directive to shelter him like crazy. Hell, maybe that's part of the reason for signing Purcell and Pouliot in the first place.

Besides other needs like depth of course.

Like others, I'm really looking forward to the season starting.

I just hope my excitement for the season isn't expunged within the first month or so....much like the last 5 or 6 years.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Its only been a small sample size but Arco is perfectly suited for #2 or #3 center role with the way Mac T is setting up the three scoring lines. We have improved team depth, size, and 2 way ability and Arco adds to that very well with exception his size but he plays a lot bigger than most of our top 6.

I'm more worried about our last center being either Lander or Leon. Hopefully one of those two can adjust to the NHL and play well for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad