What's the most goals in a season Laine will score in Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What's the most goals in a season Laine will score in Montreal?

• Total voters

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
How many will he pace for or how many will he actually score? Because the Laine fan club has been using pace and one good full season to defend the guy his entire career. But between the injuries and mental issues I'd be shocked if he scored much more than 30. Not a great investment on a one-trick pony when that pony is only available to do his one trick half the time

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Hasn’t potted 30 in 6 years and when he did, he had 21 goals in his first 24 games and finished with 9 in his final 58.

Has scored 103 goals over his past 301 games and it’s taken 6 years to do so.

Montreal has had what? One 40 goal scorer over the last 30 years?

Doesn’t seem promising.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How many will he pace for or how many will he actually score? Because the Laine fan club has been using pace and one good full season to defend the guy his entire career. But between the injuries and mental issues I'd be shocked if he scored much more than 30. Not a great investment on a one-trick pony when that pony is only available to do his one trick half the time
Even so he has dozens of more goals than anyone in Montréal since he entered the league.

Reactions: danisonfire

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He is capable of doing 40+ so voted there, I think he will get a lot of opportunity because Montreal is bad, but I still think he will be a net negative even if he puts up points.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If he is healthy and focused, I think the style the Canadiens play, he could have a really big year. I could see 40.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If healthy he definitely can hit 40 regularly, with good chemistry challenge for 50, but probably will keep struggling with missed games as before which makes 30 more realistic.
He's only hit 40 once his entire career and only threatened 40 one other time and both were his very first two seasons....now he can hit 40 regularly?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's only hit 40 once his entire career and only threatened 40 one other time and both were his very first two seasons....now he can hit 40 regularly?
That's why I wrote "if healthy". He's averaged 0.43 goals per game in his career despite not being healthy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If healthy he definitely can hit 40 regularly, with good chemistry challenge for 50, but probably will keep struggling with missed games as before which makes 30 more realistic.

Patrik has had 5 seasons in a row where he hasn’t hit 30 goals. He doesn’t tend to stay healthy and he doesn’t shoot the puck enough to get 40 goals unless he has an outlier season where his shooting % elevates (like his career year when he was 19 and shot over 18%)

Let’s pretend for a second he could play 82 games this upcoming season. If you look at his body of work Patrik has played 480 regular season games in the NHL, he has generated 1390 shots, so he averages 2.89 shots per game. His career shooting % is 14.9 so If Patrik plays 82 games in Montreal he will get about 34 goals if he follows career norms.

If you look at Cole Caufield last season he was able to generate 3.8 shots per game which is impressive he was just snake bitten and had a dismal career low 8.9% shooting rate compared to a career high 16.5% the year before. Caufield does generate more shots than Laine does per game though and the margin is material.

Ovi is the gold standard for goal scoring and it’s because of two major factors. His phenomenal health (longevity) and his ability to generate shots on net. His 12.9 shooting % is pedestrian at best for an elite goal scorer but dam man he has been able to generate 4.64 shots per game (6627), over 1426 career regular season games.

TLDR summary: Patrik has never been a high volume shot taker for a goal scorer and I doubt that is going to change.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Patrik has had 5 seasons in a row where he hasn’t hit 30 goals.
He was quite healthy during the first COVID-shortened season and scored 28 goals in 68 games. It's safe to say that he would have exceeded 30 if full schedule was played. That time it was not on him or his health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad