What's the highest level of hockey where the teams top 2 scoring players were both Defensman?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was just wasting some time researching some players and noticed that this past season the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL had 2 Dmen top their scoring stats this past season.

Does anyone know if this has been done at a higher level or anywhere else?

Without looking I'm thinking maybe NYR with Leetch and Zubov but going to look it up.

Actually the year I was thinking was 93-94 with Zubov leading the NYR in scoring and Letch was 5 points back of second place.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Off the top of my head, I remember the Stars had Heiskanen and Klingberg finish 1st and 2nd in scoring during their 2020 finals run. For regular season scoring… don’t think I ever stumbled upon it in the NHL. It’s rare as it is having one defenseman lead a team in scoring.

My team Luleå in the SHL did see two defenseman lead them in scoring a few years ago, however. In 2019-20 former Philadelphia Flyer Erik Gustafsson finished 1st, current Dallas Star Nils Lundkvist 2nd. That season we didn’t really have any standout forward, but rolled four lines who all contributed pretty evenly. That was our best regular season finish ever, and we led the league comfortably, but the playoffs were cancelled to covid. We’re cursed.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Winnipeg '92 was close, Housley #1 and Olausson a close #3.

Calgary did it multiple times in the playoffs in the '80s. Actually had top 3 scorers in '88 playoffs (two rounds), Suter #1, MacInnis and Reinhart (both tied with Loob at #2); MacInnis and Reinhart in '84 (also two rounds); and the same two were close in the Cup Finals loss in '86. Macinnis and Suter were fairly close in the '86 regular season too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The 95-96 Blackhawks kind of did it. Chelios led the team with 72 points, while Roenick and Gary Sutertied for second with 67. Roenick would get the tie breaker with both more goals and a better P/G, if that matters.

The Coyotes in 14-15 are in the same situation.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Denis and Jean Potvin probably set an unbeatable record for D points by two brothers on the same team in 75-76 with 98 and 72 points respectively.

Reactions: VaporTrail

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I was just wasting some time researching some players and noticed that this past season the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL had 2 Dmen top their scoring stats this past season.

Does anyone know if this has been done at a higher level or anywhere else?

Without looking I'm thinking maybe NYR with Leetch and Zubov but going to look it up.

Actually the year I was thinking was 93-94 with Zubov leading the NYR in scoring and Letch was 5 points back of second place.

And the next year they finished 2-3 behind Messier

Reactions: wetcoast

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I felt like Jonathan Pudas (Skellefteå) and Joel Persson (Växjö) have routinely placed among the SHL top scorers, and Rögle had Kodie Curran a few years back who also led his team in points, leading me to believe that perhaps it’s more common/a better bet that we’ve seen two defensemen lead their teams in scoring in the SHL than some other places… But no, yet to find another case like 2019-20 Luleå.

The 2022-23 Växjö Lakers were pretty interesting though. They eventually won the Swedish championship this season, and after forward Robert Rosén who lead them in scoring with 38 points, their next three top scorers were defensemen: Hardy Häman-Aktell and Joel Persson with 36 points each, followed by Lukas Bengtsson who scored 30.

What’s the highest number of defensemen among the top 5 scorers on an NHL team?

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I thought of the 98-99 Memorial Cup winning 67s, who were led by Brian Campbell and Nick Boynton. Campbell won CHL player of the year and Boynton won Memorial Cup MVP.

But no, Campbell led the team in scoring but Boynton only played 51 games and was 4th in team scoring.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1916: Newsy Lalonde & Cyclone Taylor

Though 'rover' as offensive defenseman or proxy for center is debatable.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

3 of the 5 top scorers on the 1924-25 Ottawa Senators were defencemen. Buck Boucher, King Clancy, and Ed Gorman.

Boucher and Clancy are both Hall of Famers and well known for their contributions to those great Ottawa teams.

Ed Gorman was an NHL rookie who had been a top amateur player in the Ottawa City League. He was one of several prominent amateur to professional signings that offseason, along with Hooley Smith, Dunc Munro, Carson Cooper, and Jimmy Herberts. The Senators had offered Gorman pro contracts for several years, as had some Western teams, and he had turned them all down.

Gorman was one of the biggest players in the league at six feet tall and 178 pounds, and some rated him as the hardest hitter. His regular job was as a surveyor for the Department of the Interior, and he was all bone and muscle thanks to his treks through the Canadian wilderness for the Department. He was also considered a great stickhandler and a good skater. Gorman's rookie year of 24-25 was the only one where he reached a prominent place in the scoring table, likely because he was an old rookie at 32 years old.

Hockeydb has Boucher, Clancy, and Gorman in the top 4 scorers for the Senators, behind only Cy Denneny.

Hockey-reference has Hooley Smith with an extra 11 assists compared to hockeydb, and lists the 3 defencemen as #3, 4, and 5 in scoring behind wingers Denneny and Smith.

Ottawa's starting centre Frank Nighbor played a very defensive style of play at this point in his career, to the point that the team's blueliners frequently outscored him.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
leech and zubov were 2 and 3

there were a couple of years where scott stevens and larry murphy were 2 out of washington’s top 3 as well

i can’t find more than two. best i can do is three of the top six in pts/game on the 93 lightning (not total pts) were dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2