What's the deal with tomorrow's start in Seattle?

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Not sure why the NHL didn't make the early game on the east coast. I think there are a few teams that still would sell out with a 4:30 PM start.

Devils had a 1:00 PM start year Hughes was a rookie on Columbus Day, I took the afternoon off and surprised my son by taking him out of school early for the game.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Seattle requested to have the first game of the season (I believe Ferraro said this) and it wouldn't make sense to have them on at the same time as an eastern game.

They at least could've maybe picked Vancouver to be the road team.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
It's so that ESPN can air games at 4:30 Eastern that transitions into 7 pm Eastern that transitions into 10 pm Eastern.

Don't ask what their logic is, I guess that there's an audience of people without jobs or school that are so jazzed up for the start of the NHL season that they'll watch three full random games back-to-back-to-back on a Tuesday.
One of the small bright spots of having hurricane days off.

I get to watch a lot of hockey before our power goes.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Listen, if Baseball can play some of their most important games of the season at noon on a Monday, one random NHL game shouldn't matter.

The first game of the year isn't random. It's dumb scheduling. Besides, how many hockey fans are gonna watch all three games in a row?

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Complain complain complain…is that what hockey fans do best?

Most likely ESPN wants to go nuts concentrating on the Kraken having a female assistant coach

Good lord, I am old enough to remember World Series games being played on weekday afternoons…and baseball writers complaining for 20+ years when they were shifted to night. Having one afternoon game for those who work odd hours (I’m retired but I worked evenings a few years when I did) sounds fine.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
i like it 5:30 start for me nothing better then people getting off work and a game starting 15 miins after u walk in the door haha

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The first game of the year isn't random. It's dumb scheduling. Besides, how many hockey fans are gonna watch all three games in a row?

The first day of the baseball season starts with games as early 11:35am local. Those aren't random, they call it Opening DAY and make a big deal about it--staggered starts running all the way to the West Coast late games, basically every team plays. Many avid baseball fans will take off a day of work to watch a full 12+ hour slate of uninterrupted baseball. Hell, many baseball playoff games, including a couple last week, are played at 1pm local start times. Those are not random games, either, they're playoff games! People make accomodations and the seats are filled.

Perhaps the NHL is trying to establish a similar season-opening tradition by doing an all-day event, who knows.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The first day of the baseball season starts with games as early 11:35am local. Those aren't random, they call it Opening DAY and make a big deal about it--staggered starts running all the way to the West Coast late games, basically every team plays. Many avid baseball fans will take off a day of work to watch a full 12+ hour slate of uninterrupted baseball. Hell, many baseball playoff games, including a couple last week, are played at 1pm local start times. Those are not random games, either, they're playoff games! People make accomodations and the seats are filled.

Perhaps the NHL is trying to establish a similar season-opening tradition by doing an all-day event, who knows.

Let's be more like baseball, great idea.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
It's so that ESPN can air games at 4:30 Eastern that transitions into 7 pm Eastern that transitions into 10 pm Eastern.

Don't ask what their logic is, I guess that there's an audience of people without jobs or school that are so jazzed up for the start of the NHL season that they'll watch three full random games back-to-back-to-back on a Tuesday.
Hey, it's me. To be fair, I'm retired.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
NHL: “hmm, how can we best draw attention to our sport? Got it- 2 random games in Czechoslovakia, and a 1:30 PM start on Tuesday for the rest of it. Nailed it.”

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Putting the opening game on while 90% of fans will be at work or school doesn't seem like the smartest way to promote the game. So many fans are excited for opening day yet they have to make it inconvenient for them to watch? Stupid idea. If you wanna do a triple header, it should have been on the weekend. I love hockey as much as anyone, but I can't see myself watching 3 games back to back to back. They are screwing over Blues and Kraken fans so they can get in their precious triple header.
National audience doesn’t want to watch Seattle anyway , who cares

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
It's me, I'm jazzed. Although, I'll be watching at work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad