What's the chances Ehlers re-signs in Winnipeg?

Jimmy Hoots

Oct 10, 2013
You are Nikolaj Ehlers.

Your advanced stats (and eye-test) confirm that you are, and have been, an elite producer at your position.

You have spent years being under-utilized, under-valued, under-appreciated and, yes, under-paid.

You've suffered indignity and disrespect at the hands of dinosaur coaches who would never - who could never - understand you.

You have complied, through it all, no matter what, again and again. You have done your part. You have put your team first, even when your abject misuse has ultimately hurt the team.

Your contract is up at the end of next season. You will be an unrestricted free agent. All the opportunity in the World lies before you, writhing at your feet.

You are Nikolaj Ehlers. What do you do?

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You are Nikolaj Ehlers.

Your advanced stats (and eye-test) confirm that you are, and have been, an elite producer at your position.

You have spent years being under-utilized, under-valued, under-appreciated and, yes, under-paid.

You've suffered indignity and disrespect at the hands of dinosaur coaches who would never - who could never - understand you.

You have complied, through it all, no matter what, again and again. You have done your part. You have put your team first, even when your abject misuse has ultimately hurt the team.

Your contract is up at the end of next season. You will be an unrestricted free agent. All the opportunity in the World lies before you, writhing at your feet.

probably create an hf account and endlessly cry about it

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
You are Nikolaj Ehlers.

I see if my usage gets better next season, whoever the coach is.
I am also waiting for the contract offer for my next deal - are the Jets serious with me, are they willing to offer 8+m longterm on the next deal?
If not, I move on and sign a one year show-me-deal on another contender, where I am trusted continuously with topline minutes (and will produce as I always have when given the opportunity).

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
You are Nikolaj Ehlers.

Wow, what a list of prejudicial assumptions leading up to your question.

Since this obviously can't be taken seriously, if I were Ehlers I would sign with a team where the fans know the difference between Danish and Dutch.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Wow, what a list of prejudicial assumptions leading up to your question.

Since this obviously can't be taken seriously, if I were Ehlers I would sign with a team where the fans know the difference between Danish and Dutch.
Here Here!

He is a bloody Dane, as in Danish From Denmark

Not Dutch from the Netherlands.

Poor Chap

My money is on him resigning because this is the Jets way. I don’t think he is nearly as disappointed as Johnny Hoots says.:laugh:

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
You are Nikolaj Ehlers.

So, @Jimmy Hoots, what would you do yourself?

Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
There's so much that can happen by then.
How many of the up and comers are NHL ready?
Has he stayed relatively healthy?

I'd try really hard to re-sign him to a fair deal no longer than 6 years.
If he doesn't sign, he's gone next summer.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
He has been looked at as a line driver as one of the main reasons I hear him kept off the first line, but the second line in general has often not had the best chemistry, and it has often been a frustrating watch. Monohan might be a good fit with him, time will tell, however I do think the Jets might need to go looking for another winger for this line to play with him and Monohan. I think it will improve the odds of resigning him, if he is on a line with good chemistry, locked down for some years.

Alternatively move up maybe someone like Nino/Nemes and plug that hole temperarily. I just dont think Perfetti and Ehlers on the same line looks like a good fit, I could be totally wrong and I will happily eat my words if I am wrong. I did like Nemes play with Ehlers earlier, so he makes the most sense

Last edited:
Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He has been looked at as a line driver as one of the main reasons I hear him kept off the first line, but the second line in general has often not had the best chemistry, and it has often been a frustrating watch. Monohan might be a good fit with him, time will tell, however I do think the Jets need to go looking for another winger for this line to play with him and Monohan. Get this unknown winger and Monohan signed for some years and if the chemistry is good, the odds of him staying probably goes up quite a bit.

Alternatively move up maybe someone like Nino/Nemes and plug that hole temperarily. I just dont think Perfetti and Ehlers on the same line looks like a good fit, I could be totally wrong and I will happily eat my words if I am.
Could get gus/kupari back into the lineup and run

Names - Monahan - Ehlers
Perfetti - Gus - Iafallo

Maybe Barron could play C instead for the 4th.

Ehlers has always played pretty well with Names on his line

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Who knew Karen was a Jet fan.
Better resign Ehlers … can’t have her upset.
IMG_3074.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jet and macmaroon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don’t really buy the Ehlers is unhappy angle as there has never even been a hint of this. He has always seemed to be happy in his role as the guy who is able to drive offence away from the top center as needed. Ehlers not needing a #1 center to drive his line makes us a better team and I think he knows that and embraces it. Not that I don’t think he can be given a few more minutes here and there. My guess is he re-signs this summer at 7 X $7.75 M.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I don’t really buy the Ehlers is unhappy angle as there has never even been a hint of this. He has always seemed to be happy in his role as the guy who is able to drive offence away from the top center as needed. Ehlers not needing a #1 center to drive his line makes us a better team and I think he knows that and embraces it. Not that I don’t think he can be given a few more minutes here and there. My guess is he re-signs this summer at 7 X $7.75 M.
This is the problem playing him away from Scheifele. We have ample evidence showing the Scheifele-line gets highest TOI, then the Lowry-line, then the Ehlers-line. He will continue to get middle-6 minutes on the Jets, if employed away from Scheifele.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
He’s probably make bank somewhere since the cap will go up, while still having similar numbers that he’s always had. Of course if he stays he’ll be on a team that will continue to be competitive. He’s already made pretty good money.

His real dollars this year and next are $6.5 and $6.75 so yeah he’s covered there.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
If there is a legit shot at winning the cup, I’d imagine he stays. If we flame out this year and have an underwhelming season next year, it could roll the other way.

Ultimately, I’d imagine Bowness retires after this year given his wife’s health issues with the likelihood that Arniel is the next guy. Perhaps usage changes.

You also have a guy like him in Lambert coming which is going to be a much cheaper cap hit.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad