What's next for the Flames?

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Since the season ended we now know at Treliving is gone as GM and some players hate playing for Sutter and contemplating leaving if the Flames organization keep him for next season. This summer what are the Flames goals. This is what I think.

1. Get a GM quick two candidates are Mark Hunter ( London Knights) and Craig Conroy

2. New Coach candidates that come to mind Bruce Boudreau, Joel Quenneville and Adrew Brunett.

3. The GM would have to take a risk and talk to the coach he hires on the type of team he likes to coach and work it bring it. Even if it means losing Milan Lucic Trevor Lewis and others.

What do you think the Flames should do.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
2. New Coach candidates that come to mind Bruce Boudreau, Joel Quenneville and Adrew Brunett.
lol those are all terrible & unrealistic choices. The only correct choice is Mitch Love. And since he'll be cheap, you know that it makes it all the more appealing to a miserable old miser like Murray Edwards.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm not so sure Sutter will be gone. Whoever is brought in as the GM will tell a lot about whether or not he stays. At the moment I'd still say we start the season with Sutter behind the bench.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Since the season ended we now know at Treliving is gone as GM and some players hate playing for Sutter and contemplating leaving if the Flames organization keep him for next season. This summer what are the Flames goals. This is what I think.

1. Get a GM quick two candidates are Mark Hunter ( London Knights) and Craig Conroy

3. The GM would have to take a risk and talk to the coach he hires on the type of team he likes to coach and work it bring it. Even if it means losing Milan Lucic Trevor Lewis and others.

What do you think the Flames should do.
Regardless of GM and coach they need to trade:
1) Toffoli
2) Zadorov

They need to talk to Lindholm and Backlund to see if a coaching change would change their reluctance to extend. If no trade them

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
lol those are all terrible & unrealistic choices. The only correct choice is Mitch Love. And since he'll be cheap, you know that it makes it all the more appealing to a miserable old miser like Murray Edwards.

I don't know if throwing a coach with 0 experience is a good idea. I would bring in a more established coach, and bring up Love to be an assistant first, get that experience with the idea that he would be the eventual replacement.

I understand the logistics that Edwards isn't gonna wanna pay 6M+ for coaching this year with Sutter sitting on farm making bank, but I still don't think a coach with 0 experience is what is needed.

Quinville would be great, and he might come just for a chance to get back into the league, and its not like we have a horrible team and he has nothing to work with. If Sutter does get tossed, I am sure that coaches would love to come here and coach this group. It under performed last year, but I think with a different voice in charge and better personnel deployment we could make a run next season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think with a coaching change, your team should be a mid-tier playoff team in the West. I was cheering for you guys to get in ahead of Nashville and Winnipeg.

It was a bad season exacerbated by poor goaltending and coaching, but let's not pretend that Calgary doesn't have a roster to play in the playoffs.

If Sutter is fired and a new coach is brought in, I truly believe Calgary will finish 5/6 in the West next season. New GM will likely do just that.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Mark Hunter:
Looks at the picks after Matthews, and tell me those are good.
There is a reason why he didn't (or couldn't) follow Lou to NYI.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Did you actually read this and think it's legit enough to post? Or is this a joke?
A little wishful thinking, a bit of a joke, and a dash of well maybe if the rumor of a $1B bid for the Sens is accurate

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.

Never really considered Quenneville. Not sure he’ll be accepted back into the league yet and could possibly still carry a large price tag. He has a great track record but so does Sutter…

I’ve kind of had a pipe dream of a short term contract for Boudreau with Love serving as assistant with the understanding it’s his team in 2 years. Unlikely. Unconventional. Kind of weird arrangement, but think Bruce may be ok with a short contract to ease the Vancouver nightmare and Mitch could use a taste of the big leagues before taking the reigns completely. (This scenario accepts our roster for what it is and tries to go more offensive/player friendly.)

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I had time to think about this what to do with the flames since I made this post and I believe this is what the flames should do.

1. Make Conroy the GM on a two year contract and let Maloney as be advisor
2. Hire Mitch Love as coach
3. Keep Huberdeau, Tofolli and Lindhom as top line , Mangi and Naz on second and find a center for them. Third line Dube and Walker Duehr and find a center. Keep Milan on the cheap no more than 2 million and fill the rest of the forward group with young guys from the system.
4. If you can find a number one dman trade Chris Tanev as he is too injury prone. Keep Troy Stecher

Since Iginla will not be able to join the team this season I would wait until his under-15 team season is over before asking him if he would like to be assistant GM and try to convince him to get Mikka Kiprusoff to join the team as goaltender coach. Keep the same goalie tandem for this coming season and in 2024-2025 season bring wolf into the fold. Trade players like Trever Lewis and other forwards and try to get more young guys in. I know in my mind I wants dman like Karlsson or foward like O'Reilly, Vladimir Tarasenko, Max Domi, or Tyler Bertuzzi, but they cost too much money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad