What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We're not trying to Crack the DaVinci code here.
Marner has never been very good in play offs. Neither has Matthews compared to his own standards.

The leafs lose every year because there are always team(s) in there division that play better than they do.

Caps, Bruins, Bruins, Jackets, Habs, Bolts, Panthers, Bruins.

If the Leafs were as good as most of their fans claim they are......
the buds would have won half of those series ....... or atleast ONE.

Last edited:

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
IMO, key reason why Leafs scoring sucks in the playoffs is because Marner being a key cog in offence setting up plays and zipping around is because he shuts down, doesn't get near the net and dmen in playoffs go into hyper mode blocking shots and passes like crazy.

In reg season, it's easy for top forwards to rack up wins and goals against crap teams. Look how easy Marner makes it look in the reg season doing this and getting 90 pts. Playoffs come around and even the first round team shuts down his fancy dancing asap.

Playoff time things change, and guys like Marner who zoom around the perimeter trying to generate goals for Matthews and JT rebounds with slick passes and shots on net dries up. And when Marner is ineffective, so goes AM and JT. Nylander is a different boat as hell still drive the net and shoot on his own. He doesn't need Marner to spark him.

Last edited:

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
The tempo picks up in the playoffs and he doesn’t have space anymore to make highlight reel plays. He’s scared to try harder because he thinks he will fail so he checks out every year.

It’s kind of like when kids don’t try in school because they’re afraid to fail and feel bad so instead of trying, they put in no effort and then tell themselves “I wasn’t even trying anyways” when they eventually fail. It’s a mental thing for sure. He doesn’t hate losing and he has never been approperily humbled. He feels he’s treated as a god and has been his whole career where he could do no wrong. Any compétant GM wor coach would have humbled him long ago, especially when he was a RFA during his fight for a contract.

Speaking of his contract, during negotiations for that was the most fight he ever put up as a leaf. Pathetic. He’s an arrogant, soft, proven loser. He could have success elsewhere but they need to stop stroking him off and get real with him. Somebodies gotta break his balls and make him work but he’s never been held accountable before. Dubas and Keefe were basically yesmen along with the leadership group of this team who care more about being friends and getting 11m+ than winning.

Reactions: Theodore450

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
IMO, key reason why Leafs scoring sucks in the playoffs is because Marner being a key cog in offence setting up plays and zipping around is because he shuts down, doesn't get near the net and dmen in playoffs go into hyper mode blocking shots and passes like crazy.

In reg season, it's easy for top forwards to rack up wins and goals against crap teams. Look how easy Marner makes it look in the reg season doing this and getting 90 pts. Playoffs come around and even the first round team shuts down his fancy dancing asap.

Playoff time things change, and guys like Marner who zoom around the perimeter trying to generate goals for Matthews and JT rebounds with slick passes and shots on net dries up. And when Marner is ineffective, so goes AM and JT. Nylander is a different boat as hell still drive the net and shoot on his own. He doesn't need Marner to spark him.
Bingo!

Marner needs to go simply to change the style of play for the entire team.

Reactions: um and 647Hockey

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Bingo!

Marner needs to go simply to change the style of play for the entire team.
Nobody will take him, if an HFBoarda poster can understand why Marner is a detriment to their team, then other NHL GMs can see that too.

I heard teams are inquiring, but I guarantee you that's doing their due diligence and seeing if the Leafs are just giving him away and/or willing to regain.

Nobody will pay a premium for a guy like Marner. Someone who isn't a top guy on a team but is paid like one.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Playoff intensity scares Mitch Marner. The physicality ramps up, he gets uncomfortable, traffic piles up in the juicy offensive areas and he takes himself out of the play by hiding in the perimeter. You don't really need to hit him, game plan for him, or do anything.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Playoff intensity scares Mitch Marner. The physicality ramps up, he gets uncomfortable, traffic piles up in the juicy offensive areas and he takes himself out of the play by hiding in the perimeter. You don't really need to hit him, game plan for him, or do anything.

I know it's been a while, but remember when he was praised for his performance in Game One of the TOR/BOS series in 2019?

He wasn't bad in his first couple of playoffs and then he had that strong showing. However, since then, it's been steadily downhill for him. This year was the worst showing for him so far in my opinion - visually he looked really timid and quite slow and ineffective physically; you really can't argue he "deserved" any better in terms of production or general on-ice results whereas maybe you can to some extent for other years.

I remember Nylander looked somewhat intimidated in his first couple of playoff series against the Bruins. However, since then he's noticeably grown as a player. Not only has he gotten physically stronger, he's shown willingness to step outside of his comfort zone at times.

They're both skilled wingers and neither will be mistaken for prime Forsberg, but one has demonstrated much more of a desire to get better and become more effectiveness in the playoffs than the other in the last five years. If anything, Marner has regressed in terms of compete and willingness to get his hands dirty.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We're not trying to Crack the DaVinci code here.
Marner has never been very good in playboffs. Neither has Matthews compared to his own standards.

The leafs lose every year because there are always team(s) in there division they play better than they do.

They have outplayed the best players on the other team numerous times and still lost the series.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
O-Dog: "Listen Ray (ferraro) we've been getting a million opinions since the loss, you were in between the benches for a majority of this series, so i trust your opinion above all else. Please do to tell what you personally saw with him, whats the first words that come to mind with Marner"

Ferraro: I thought he was uninterested.
Wow this is a straight up lie, why did you edit out part of Ferraro’s response?

Ferraro said (paraphrasing) “He looked like he was either hurt or disinterested”

I’m the last person to defend Marner’s playoff performance but no reason to make up a fake quote to make the guy look worse

Last edited:
Reactions: um

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Wow this is a straight up lie.

Ferraro said (paraphrasing) “He looked like he was either hurt or disinterested”

I’m the last person to defend Marner’s playoff performance but no reason to make up a fake quote to make the guy look worse

Well he clearly was never the same after returning from the high ankle sprain

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Nobody will take him, if an HFBoarda poster can understand why Marner is a detriment to their team, then other NHL GMs can see that too.

I heard teams are inquiring, but I guarantee you that's doing their due diligence and seeing if the Leafs are just giving him away and/or willing to regain.

Nobody will pay a premium for a guy like Marner. Someone who isn't a top guy on a team but is paid like one.
Do you mean no one will give the Leafs something for him?

Because I'm pretty sure when he's UFA after next season, someone will sign him.

I've already said I'd be happy to see him walk and keep the cap space. Especially knowing what him, his agent, and his father will be talking about $$$. No thanks!

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yup you can just swarm the players he's trying to dish to and let him skate around and around passing back and forth.

We have guys that will go to the net but they can't get there because Marner is playing quarterback most of the game figure skating.

Addition by subtraction.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Yup you can just swarm the players he's trying to dish to and let him skate around and around passing back and forth.

We have guys that will go to the net but they can't get there because Marner is playing quarterback most of the game figure skating.

Addition by subtraction.
Yup.

AM and JT dont create a lot of offence on their own. They wait for opportunities (passes or rebounds), scoop them up and bang in a rebound or wrist shot from 10 ft out. Once Marner's fancy passes, shots on net, or getting defenders to chase him so other players are open all dry up, so does JT and AM scoring. You'll see AM on the perimeter swarming around and JT battling along the boards and then going to front of net, but nada. No opps, no goals.

That's why in playoffs MM is active, but ineffective. He's still puckhandling and zipping around, but cant generate offence. And when he cant do anything, AM and JT are invisible. Heck, Bertuzzi and Domi are noticed more. If it wasnt for Domi dishing a perfect lob pass for AM to streak in and score on a breakaway, he'd have zero goals.

AM scores lots of goals, but doesn't create a lot on his own. On the other hand, last night the GW OT goal by Oilers was McDavid taking the puck from his own net, saying F this, going full tilt into offensive zone making defenders back off. The goal was a flukey shot off a Canuck, but that's the kind of player he is. McD also had a nice goal where he stripped the defender and scored on a breakaway. AM doesnt do this.

Last edited:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yup.

AM and JT dont create a lot of offence on their own. They wait for opportunities (passes or rebounds), scoop them up and bang in a rebound or wrist shot from 10 ft out. Once Marner's fancy passes, shots on net, or getting defenders to chase him so other players are open all dry up, so does JT and AM scoring. You'll see AM on the perimeter swarming around and JT battling along the boards and then going to front of net, but nada. No opps, no goals.

That's why in playoffs MM is active, but ineffective. He's still puckhandling and zipping around, but cant generate offence. And when he cant do anything, AM and JT are invisible. Heck, Bertuzzi and Domi are noticed more. If it wasnt for Domi dishing a perfect lob pass for AM to streak in and score on a breakaway, he'd have zero goals.
Hell yeah.

So us dumb asses see the same thing?

Get a new coach (obviously) and if Marner refuses to waive, tell him he's a winger and nothing more. Change the system.

People talking about moving Matthews etc. nah, it's Mitch that needs to either go, or for next season be used as a traditional winger wether he likes it or not. That might get him to waive too.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Mitch has become such a cope for fans to whine about.

The problem is goaltending every defense not named Rielly, Roberston, Kampf....

Now tell me how much money he makes so you can keep crying.

It's getting pathetic, people talking about him like he Dion Phaneuf.

Deeerrrr fire Shanny though... aside Pelley has a clue how to win a hockey game in the playoffs.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Do you mean no one will give the Leafs something for him?

Because I'm pretty sure when he's UFA after next season, someone will sign him.

I've already said I'd be happy to see him walk and keep the cap space. Especially knowing what him, his agent, and his father will be talking about $$$. No thanks!
Fool me once shame on you.....fool me twice......well ya know.

Leafs already been robbed....22 mill a season fir Marner and Tavares lol

Mitch has become such a cope for fans to whine about.

The problem is goaltending every defense not named Rielly, Roberston, Kampf....

Now tell me how much money he makes so you can keep crying.

It's getting pathetic, people talking about him like he Dion Phaneuf.

Deeerrrr fire Shanny though... aside Pelley has a clue how to win a hockey game in the playoffs.
It's all those guys AND Marner ........not all those guys but not Marner.

I think the Leafs have brought in around 40 different players over last 8 seasons and surrounded the core. And all 40 of those guys have been blamed to one extent or another......but the Core are all superheroes.

6 goalies, 3 GMs, 3rd coach coming,
Thorton, Orielly, Simmonds, Marleau, Foligno, Plekanec, Muzzin, Holl, Murray, Gardener, Campbell, Freddy, Brody, Kadri, Samsinov, Bertyzzi, Reaves, Domi, Kerfoot ......all those play off flops.

But the famous 45 million dollar 4 ?
Not a blemish. 🤣

Last edited:

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024

yes it's all those guys AND Marner ........not all those guys but not Marner
Awww are you gunna a guy that is much for 90+ points in a contract year cause you mad?

Have you read the trade proposals? How desperate are you for Ramus Andersson?

Mitch didn't get 3 points a game against the Bruins :(

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

I think the Leafs have brought in around 40 different players over last 8 seasons and surrounded the core. And all 40 of those guys have been blamed to one extent or another......but the Core are all superheroes.

Thorton, Orielly, Simmonds, Marleau, Foligno, Plekanec, Muzzin, Holl, Murray, Gardener, Campbell, Freddy, Brody, Kadri, Samsinov, Bertyzzi, Reaves, Domi, Kerfoot ......all those play off flops.

Not a blemish. 🤣
On Leafs radio days ago, Jeff Oneill said the same thing. core 4 protection by Keefe.

I dont remember the incident, but he said one time the Leafs lost and instead of becnhing or making an example of the core 4, Oneill said Keefe benched Kerfoot or Kampf (I forget which one) as if a $3M player should shoulder the blame for lack of effort and losing a game.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
On Leafs radio days ago, Jeff Oneill said the same thing. core 4 protection by Keefe.

I dont remember the incident, but he said one time the Leafs lost and instead of becnhing or making an example of the core 4, Oneill said Keefe benched Kerfoot or Kampf (I forget which one) as if a $3M player should shoulder the blame for lack of effort and losing a game.
So bang on by you and Oniel.
It was Kampf.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Panthers faced a similar problem.
Regular season success in 21 and 22. Huberdeau racking up points in reg season (115 in 2022) invisible in play offs.
So they acted. Not by tweaking the bottom 6 and 3rd pair.
They traded their first line winger and a top D to get Tkachuk. They fired the coach and hired a new one. They changed their style from a regular season team to a play off battle ready team.
The rest is history.

Shanahan didn't have the wisdom or balls for that.

Last edited:

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024

Not a blemish. 🤣
Name me the goaltender and stud blueliner the Leafs have brought in in the last 8 years?

It's endless forwards, Domis, Bertuzzi, Foligno, ROR....

A half broken Muzzin and post prime TJ Brodie and beer league goaltenders.

But whatever give Mitch away and we'll land the missing pieces cause unicorns exist logic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad