What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Boston is willing to grind for the puck and Toronto is trying to finesse from the perimetre and doesn't want to pay the price, It's really all there is to it, having some useless plug like reeves does nothing.

You obviously haven’t watched the games, or if you have been, you haven’t been paying attention.

Reaves and the 4th line (before Keefe stupidly broke them up Saturday night) were grinding and winning every puck battle, hemming Boston into their own zone and just basically taking the bruins to school.

You don’t have a clue what you’re taking about

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He's 14 in that clip? He looks like he's 9 or 10.

It's possible I did the math wrong. lol. But he's a kid and his dad's being a jackass.

I don't think people should take that clip as some essential view into his character.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
good thing you mentioned the flames suck because I forgot about all the other players that put up an NHL RECORD 17 points in 5 games against the western conference leading flames.

Absolutely zero high ankle sprains heal in a week or two....if it only takes a week or two to heal, that's a contusion not a sprain. Draisaitl had a DIAGNOSED high ankle sprain which usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal enough to play on it, and another 2-4 weeks to be back to normal function, but can often take longer.

So thanks for your entirely wrong diagnosis doctor.
I remember in the Colorado series the Oilers scored a goal and they showed Draisaitl stand up to celebrate on the bench and he f***in keeled over and had to talk to the trainer. Must've been faking it though.

But also he had 6 goals in 4 games against Vegas last year before Pietrangelo tried to chop his arm off. 6 points in 4 games against Colorado the year before on one leg. But yea the Oilers stars only get points because they only ever play bad teams.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Agreed. I think Matthews and Marner have both been equally bad but realistically you’re only going to get rid of one of them and it ain’t your franchise center who has 3 Rockets. You have to pray he can figure it out at some point
Marner is the guy that takes the fall here imo.
Marner is highly skilled and some team in need of a good setup man will offer the Leafs something big for him.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
good thing you mentioned the flames suck because I forgot about all the other players that put up an NHL RECORD 17 points in 5 games against the western conference leading flames.

Absolutely zero high ankle sprains heal in a week or two....if it only takes a week or two to heal, that's a contusion not a sprain. Draisaitl had a DIAGNOSED high ankle sprain which usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal enough to play on it, and another 2-4 weeks to be back to normal function, but can often take longer.

So thanks for your entirely wrong diagnosis doctor.

I was fine in 2 weeks. For any bone injury the doctor will always say about 6 weeks. But some people are fine before then.

LD played well with a high ankle sprain.

1. His high ankle sprain did not impair his play. So it wasn’t so bad

Or

2. He was drugged up so his high ankle sprain did not impair his play.

Some people heal differently

I broke my shoulder, clavicle, few fractured ribs and an incomplete fracture in my arm.

I was fine in 10 days. I was able to move my arms no problem. Now my bone wasn’t fully healed fom the break. That will actually take 4-6 weeks or longer for a few people.

But I was fine

Everyone is different.

That’s the point.

I had no cast. No pain. Just limited movement for almost 10 days.

Doctor didn’t neeed to see me again in 6 weeks from time of injury. But anytime I feel pain for the next 2 years come in for an X-ray and see him.

This is at the fractured clinic in North York General Hospital in Toronto.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Marner to me comes across as a player who puts in his time in the regular season and by the time the playoffs roll around, he’s already in vacation mode planning his summer months.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I remember when he wasn't very good against Foland in WJC's when Canada lost in quarterfinal against Finland 2016. He did score two powerplay goals but I think he was mostly invisible on even strenght.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
His career peak was winning the Memorial Cup, so his frame of reference for high calibre hockey is fast and loose junior hockey. This doesn't work in the NHL playoffs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Marner is a great player. He needs to play in a no pressure market. Kind of like when Kessel went to Pittsburgh and won two Cups.

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Highly skilled player who isn’t great in close physical hockey who was unlucky enough to be part of a group of three young star players who all have the same issue to varying degrees. Put him on a team with different types of players and maybe he can succeed? Hard to say.

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And yet here we are with another Marner bashing thread. Ridiculous! Matthews can do no wrong as long as he keeps scoring in the regular season..

I don't think anyone is happy with Matthews performance, but the frustration with Marner is not the same thing.

Marner has a track record of doing what he is doing right now. This is nothing new.

Spring after spring, the games get tougher, tighter and chippier, and Mitch Marner gets less engaged, refuses to go to the tough areas, pulls up short and bails out on plays to avoid contact and endlessly looks to the referees each time he's hit as if it's not allowed.

Marner simply refuses to pay the price to play post-season hockey.

I haven't seen anything like that with Auston Matthews.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Nothing's wrong with Marner.
Leafs are getting what they paid for. Spoiled. So is Matthews. No heart come the playoffs. Playoff money is from the league. It's a pittance to what they get in the regular season.

The Leafs all-time playoff point leader is Doug Gilmour. He was in Toronto for just 6 seasons. Played 52 playoff games and has 77 points. Heart!

Both Marner and Matthews have played 54 playoff games ...Marner 49 pts, Matthews 47.
Matthews disappears more in the playoffs than Marner comparing regular season stats. Somehow Matthews always gets a pass and likely even more so that's he's ""injured"".:huh:

Gilmour= Killer.

Reactions: Buck Naked

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Considering he had a high ankle sprain which takes a couple of months to recover. It makes sense to avoid contact.

Judging by his skating he’s still suffering from the ankle injury

I wouldn’t risk further injury and ruin an ankle and career for a Team with a horrible goaltender and crappy defence.

Unless he suffered this high ankle sprain seven years ago, then again each year before the playoffs started, this excuse doesn't hold water at all.

Why was he avoiding contact every other playoff?

Is he really scared though or is a 26 year old that has like $50M+ in the bank and doesn't want CTE or some other physical disability when he retires. I'd play it the same way if my boss was foolish enough to give me money up front in my career.

He's really scared.

(And it's absurd to pretend the two options are play scared and avoid contact or get CTE.)

Reactions: Bileur

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
And yet here we are with another Marner bashing thread. Ridiculous! Matthews can do no wrong as long as he keeps scoring in the regular season..
Matthews imo is an even bigger issue than Marner. He has a Hart and 3 Rockets and is widely touted as a top 4 center in the regular season and yet disappears in the big games for 8 years now.
But realistically Matthews isn’t getting moved and Marner comes across as the more arrogant of the two so he’s the guy they will move.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Marner on a team where he's a supporting piece and plays behind other star players and he doesn't have to carry the offense is the best situation for him. The only downfall is his cap and not many teams are going to be willing to pay his caphit for a supporting cast player. Unless you're someone like Chicago who just needs NHL talent for Bedard and would love to just make the playoffs. Also him playing not in Canada would help him, it seems he gets really pissed off from the Canadian spotlight.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I was fine in 2 weeks. For any bone injury the doctor will always say about 6 weeks. But some people are fine before then.

LD played well with a high ankle sprain.

1. His high ankle sprain did not impair his play. So it wasn’t so bad

Or

2. He was drugged up so his high ankle sprain did not impair his play.

Some people heal differently

I broke my shoulder, clavicle, few fractured ribs and an incomplete fracture in my arm.

I was fine in 10 days. I was able to move my arms no problem. Now my bone wasn’t fully healed fom the break. That will actually take 4-6 weeks or longer for a few people.

But I was fine

Everyone is different.

That’s the point.

I had no cast. No pain. Just limited movement for almost 10 days.

Doctor didn’t neeed to see me again in 6 weeks from time of injury. But anytime I feel pain for the next 2 years come in for an X-ray and see him.

This is at the fractured clinic in North York General Hospital in Toronto.
A high ankle sprain has nothing to do with the bone. It is damaging the surrounding ligaments and soft tissue around the bone. Completely different injuries, soft tissue takes longer to heal than a straight bone fracture.

Your injuries are not even remotely related to the injury Draisaitl sustained, and continued to play on. First, yours were bone fractures, next, they were not on a "load bearing" joint like a hip a knee or an ankle, which greatly impacts healing time.

the reason we're even talking about this is Marner had an injury that is supposedly affecting his play, the same injury that another player sustained while in the playoffs and STILL managed to succeed while playing through that injury. Now every injury is different, I get that, but the history shows that Marner's poor play in the playoffs is not due to the injury, there's a long history of him and other Leafs players (Matthews, I'm looking at you) greatly underperforming in the playoffs.

Everybody is grasping at straws and looking for excuses for why these guys are so bad come playoff time, when 8 years of history has shown that there is no excuse other than they disappear when the games matter the most. and until they start producing in big games, that will be their Leafs legacy, Matthews is definitely included in that.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nah, he just turns into a 55 point per 82 games player in the latter half of the series. "bUt At LeAsT hE tRiEs"..

This is the highest paid player in the league.

You can joke all you want, but it's a helluva lot more frustrating watching a guy doing flybys, losing every one on one battle and refusing to go to the tough areas of the ice.

They are both disappointing, but I'm a lot more disappointed by the guy who looks like he simply doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad